Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever dealt with carpenterracing.com... i see that their kit gives the 10 24 extra horses... all input will be appreciated

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Hey man,

Let me give you all the info that I know. My dad actually came across them when looking for stuff to do to his 2002 ZX-12R. They make kits for the 10 and 12. They have two different kits for the 10, one that doesn't involve boring the cylinders and new pistons that is around 3300 and the whole shabang for 5500 for around 205hp.

My dad has talked to a ton of different race shops including some very good ones. My dad is very very picky and wants to have the most knowledgable and most skilled people working on his stuff. He called and talked to one of the fellas up there for about 30 minutes or so which shows they are willing to give you the time you want and deserve. The guy sounded very knowledgable and seemed to have an answer to all questions that he was posed with all regards to building your engine. He answered all questions thoroughly and had responses such as we have realized there is a problem with such and such, but we have tested new ways of making sure that problem never arrises in the first place.

The guy took a lot of time out of his way to talk to my dad and seemed to stand behind what they did 110%. There are options that you don't see on the website. You can take the motor out of the bike and send it to them, you can send them just your heads, or you can even take your bike off and give it to them and let them do everything starting with taking the gas tank off. He said that if you desire to do most of the work yourself and just send the head to them, he will give you all necessary contacts with numbers and prices in order to get it done and get it done right such as ordering certain parts. By the way, the contacts are the actual ones they use if you were to send them your whole engine or drop the bike off. He will give all specs needed in order to complete the job right. The only thing you would be left with is getting your bike tuned (dynoed and mapped).

He did say that sending him the motor would save about 500 bucks which is for basically the labor of taking the bike apart and putting it back together.

The only thing I am not sure about is their facility. I haven't seen it so if we decide to do it to our motors, we are going to drive up there and give them the motor. That way if it looks kinda sketch in person, they don't have our stuff. They will just ship it back if we leave it.

Overall, sounds like a top notch place with a top notch group of employees. I will end with a quote from the guy. "We are not interested in ripping people off nor doing a job that will not be completely set up right even if you just send us the heads and you do the rest. We want you to have a great running bike so that you will come back to us in the future with other bikes." I think that sums them up really well. That's the kind of mentality I would want someone to have that is working on my bike because most people are not very trustworthy and most don't give a rat's azz about your stuff.

Derrick

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've delt with Bob Carpenter personally myself and spent alot of $$$ on a Hayabusa motor with them. The HP numbers they give out seem higher than anyone else out there. I had them do a Big port/polish on my head and valves etc. Anyway, This head I sent them had already been on the flow bench and cleaned up a little inside. Not extreme at all just cleaned up the castings and matched the intakes. I get the head back from Carpenter and pay $900... So, We take the head back to the flow bench before the install and It does not have any improvement.... NONE! NO more NO less!!
Like the guy said before me... Carpenter will talk to you on the phone for as long as you want and seems like he knows his shit... But, Numbers talk...
My money was refunded for the port job. I had also sent them my crank, and tranny... I was not a happy person in the end.
In the Drag Race community is where you should be asking questions about Carpenter Racing.. I've talked to alot of people after my situation who have had the same sort of Service problems..
Good luck, Recon

·
Registered
47 Posts
After my engine building experiances always have your bike dynoed at a local dyno and always dyno it after modifications on the same dyno. So if you send your shit to carpenter dyno it at your own dyno before and dyno it on the same dyno after. They can mess with the dyno to make it give higher readings and how do you know the numbers and graph are of your bike. Places can get away with giving these high numbers because alot of the people they do work for never dyno the bike themselves and never know the difference. They tell you that you have 180hp (which is what you want to hear) and it feels faster so you believe them.
Thats why we have all of these guys around town with 150hp harleys. They buy some cams, get some head work done, and some better carbs. The place that sells the parts to them says they have 150hp now and they never dyno the bike. So they go around bragging to every one that they have 150hp now and can smoke most of these damn jap bikes around town. Love to see the look on their faces when they find out they have around 90hp at best. :crackup:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
ForceRecon said:
I've delt with Bob Carpenter personally myself and spent alot of $$$ on a Hayabusa motor with them. The HP numbers they give out seem higher than anyone else out there. I had them do a Big port/polish on my head and valves etc. Anyway, This head I sent them had already been on the flow bench and cleaned up a little inside. Not extreme at all just cleaned up the castings and matched the intakes. I get the head back from Carpenter and pay $900... So, We take the head back to the flow bench before the install and It does not have any improvement.... NONE! NO more NO less!!
Like the guy said before me... Carpenter will talk to you on the phone for as long as you want and seems like he knows his shit... But, Numbers talk...
My money was refunded for the port job. I had also sent them my crank, and tranny... I was not a happy person in the end.
In the Drag Race community is where you should be asking questions about Carpenter Racing.. I've talked to alot of people after my situation who have had the same sort of Service problems..
Good luck, Recon
What was done to the crank and tranny? Were you happy with that work?

Did they give you much grief b4 refunding your money for the head?

Looking for overall experience w/them aside for the head.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Had the crank lightened and balanced, Tranny undercut and bomb proff forks and drum, shif rod. etc. I was happy with their overall attitude and had no problem with getting my money for the head work (Labor cost). But, The numbers don't lie and that is what everyone wants...Big Numbers!!! I would ask them for some refrences..Phone numbers/email addresses of people who had the work done on their ZX10R..
Recon's two cents...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Force-

I've never done business with Carpenter and can't say anything about them one way or the other, but saying that they don't know what they're doing because your head didn't flow bigger numbers isn't exactly fair. While big flow numbers are nice, the velocity of the fuel charge is also important. Did you junk the head they worked on, or did you use it? If you did use it, what were the Hp numbers, which ultimately are whats important. I'll trade big flow numbers for higher Hp any day, and you don't know what you would have gotten with their head.

Theres' magic in port shaping, and a flowbench won't always show that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Motor was dynoed before it was taken out of my bike and again after I got it back from carpenter and back in the bike. I kept the head and used it. I'm not bad mouthing them. I was only talking about my own situation. Like I said before! If your not sure then ask for some refrences of people who have had the same work done on their ZX10R and see what their feelings are. That would be my best response!
Recon

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
The people i know that are in the know, say for modern bikes, air velocity is more important than max flow. What that means, I have no clue. Just repeating some mubo jumbo..... fills post space nicely though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts