Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the question...

Would you take a job if it paid less than what you currently make, but the job is doing what you love? When I say "it pays less" I mean like 25% less. Enough to live off of, but not enough to jet-setting across the world ya know!

I've always thought "do what you love, and the money will come".

I also don't really want to live that life from "Fight Club" where I'm a corporate whore, sitting in a gray cubicle for the rest of my life. :BangHead: Office space anyone?

Basically I have an opportunity to do what I really want to do, but it pays shit, no benefits, I'd have to relocate, and I feel its a risky business.

What would you do?:dontknow: :dontknow:

:gve:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have a wife and 3 kids to worry about....No brainer for me!

Is it just you???? If you feel it's risky, I think you may have laready asnwered your question....But then again, try it out.....See what happens!

Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats the thing...

its just me, I'm 26 with NO TIES. I mean no house, kids, debt, anything. So I can just pick up and go. I've been living in the Detroit area my whole life, I am really itching to see some more of the country. I think that if I don't try, I'll regret it... ugh.

·
Registered
536 Posts
job

I will tell you from experience..........DO A JOB YOU LIKE OR LOVE!!
F the $$$!! not worth it if you hate what you are doing everyday!!!
things will work itself out!!
i know too many people that hate what they are doing and I WAS one of them and NOW doing what I love!!
do what YOU want to do!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Doughboy said:
Yeah thats the thing...

its just me, I'm 26 with NO TIES. I mean no house, kids, debt, anything. So I can just pick up and go. I've been living in the Detroit area my whole life, I am really itching to see some more of the country. I think that if I don't try, I'll regret it... ugh.
with these ingredients i'd deffinately say pack the bags and book the flight.

BD

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Unless your "corporate whore" job gives you extraordinary skills which will allow you to find wealth by striking out on your own a few years later, I say pack your bags and ENJOY LIFE! Fortune favors the bold.

BTW, Fight Club and Office Space are 2 of my fav. movies. So fuck off with your spring green stripe patterns and matching leather sofas. Let the chips fall where they may.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know too many people that hate what they are doing and I WAS one of them and NOW doing what I love!!
I can't take being miserable every day at my job. I just can't find any satisfaction anymore. But the pay and benefits are great.

New job would have 0 benefits (no health or anything), but I know I would never get sick of it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Since you have no family...that's a no brainer
I took a 7 dollar hr cut in pay, moved 1400 miles, was gone for 6 mths of training away from my family; had to sell my house and find a new house.
and gave up the BEST Motorcycle roads in the country to do it.

But look long term, in 3 years i'll be making more than i was and have better job security and be able to retire earlier.......and i love my job now,

in the last 8 days we seized 3 cars, about 400pds of dope, arrested 6 people, revoked about 15 visa's and re-arrested 3 convicted felons that had outstanding warrants:thumbsup: and i got paid to do it.:lol:

Beats the crap out of my old job.
My Grandfather used to tell me if your not born rich find a job that you would do as a hobby and life will be better.

It's scary to make the move with a family, but ask yourself

will you always regret not taking it!!!!! if so thats your answer.

Good Luck

·
Registered
220 Posts
I work at a job I really enjoy now but I used to have to go to work everyday to a job I hated. It was hard work and now I hardly work. The money will come. If its really what you wanna do you have to give it a shot in my opinion. I went back to school to get into the career I'm in now that was a lot of work... work full time school full time but it has all paid off for me. just my .02

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i'm in the opposite position.:mrgreen: I hate my job now but I'm off to get trained to earn better money for a job I know I'll love doing.

I say do what you feel is right. What the gut says. Sounds like it's saying get out of Detroit. Good Luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your living in the best state in the US, Texas has year round riding and i'm glad your keeping criminals out of our state.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I dont know if it is because I am getting on a bit now,I have been in and out of Motor Racing for the last 26 years , I have worked in Formula One and worked on Banger racers, after a while a job becomes a job and unless it has new challenges the monotony of it all sets in and eventually you only work for the money anyway, I mean what is the whole point of going to work.
Having said that , I have quit motor racing 3 times and always gone back, because you just cant beat the sound of a racecer or bike , but I will say this , it is only glamorous from the outside.
Last year I went on 74 airplanes , got sick more times than I was ever healthy, saw a handful of airports and every racetrack in the continental Americas , didnt see much of the countryside , didnt ride my bike that much and didnt get to see my daughter as often as I would have liked , dreamt of all the failures and the "should haves, could haves" , put so much pressure on myself to succeed that a year disappeared in a heartbeat.

And when I am well , I will slip straight back into it.

So I will say this, there is always a price to pay and you have to way up the options, what is more important?? the career or time to enjoy your life.

The lucky ones or should I say the Smart Ones can get both.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts