Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the newer DID ERV2 and to date have always used WD-40 to clean my O.E. chains and applied chain wax afterwards (once it's warm).

Anywho, DID (as I'm sure many vendors do) recommended somewhere in their literature of using specific cleaners (I think it was DID cleaners, but don't see this on the site).

Thoughts either way?

TIA
Phil

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
circusnuts said:
I have the newer DID ERV2 and to date have always used WD-40 to clean my O.E. chains and applied chain wax afterwards (once it's warm).

Anywho, DID (as I'm sure many vendors do) recommended somewhere in their literature of using specific cleaners (I think it was DID cleaners, but don't see this on the site).

Thoughts either way?

TIA
Phil

honestly just clean it. I actually use chain wax/oil to clean it off and then apply a coat of chain wax when I am done and it works fine. If it gets wet you may want to use some WD-40 though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was told not to use WD-40 because it acts like a degreaser which would then remove the lube inside the chain if allowed to penetrate for long enough. I use metho on a rag and just spin the wheel around soaking the entire length of chain. Let it sit for a while, even use a stiff nylon brush to clean it really well. Then use a clean rag to wipe all the crud off. After that just spray a small amount of chain lube over the o-rings. It's better to use a little lube often rather than using heaps of lube only once in a blue moon. But everyone has their own methods, just find one you're happy with and if it keeps the chain in good condition then stick to it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts