Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really, REALLY think a set of carbon fiber wheels would look and *HANDLE* SWEET on El Poco Loco but I'm hesitant about rolling on carbon on the street. Any thoughts on this? :dontknow: I wonder how susceptable to damage they would be when changing tires and such as well...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Carbon wheels have never done much for me due to always wanting some sort of color (does BLOO come to mind) to liven the bike up but i have used 2 sets of Mag and 1 forged set of PVM's for street use and never had a problem.

BD

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
El Diablo said:
I really, REALLY think a set of carbon fiber wheels would look and *HANDLE* SWEET on El Poco Loco but I'm hesitant about rolling on carbon on the street. Any thoughts on this? :dontknow: I wonder how susceptable to damage they would be when changing tires and such as well...
I've had and still do have plenty of people and myself included that have used them on the street and trust me indiana is not the best places to have them. I've gone over pot holes and had a highsided and they held up fine, if you saw the bike flip end over end you couldn't see how they could.

Its a huge controversy but i'd say the same thing about mags. I've infact bent my pvm rear on the ducati but never on the bsts

at 3350 if you've got it go for it, its the single one performance mod people can't describe until you try it.

Slava

·
Registered
92 Posts
El Diablo said:
I have a set on one of My ZX10's I'll post a pic. They are well worth the $$ and very strong. I think as long as you take precaution on the street stay away from big bumps you'll have no problems damaging them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
El Diablo said:
FWIW, I had a set of BST carbon wheels on my RC51. They are absolutely INCREDIBLE. If you have the $$, get them. They are absolutely georgeous, and they have more than withstood minimum safety requirements. Check out blackstonetek.com.

I had several sets of tires mounted and NEVER saw a mark on them. They are VERY strong and tough.

·
Registered
92 Posts
El Diablo said:
Check out my Carbon BST Wheels go to the below link.

http://www.psychobike.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=26;t=13806;st=12

http://www.psychobike.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=26;t=13806

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I would like to see a close up of the wheels on the bike. Looks real nice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They are past the European standard which far exceeds the U.S.'s. I wouldn't be afraid to loose some or most of that rotational mass! Hell yah!

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
As long as you have someone who will change the tires on it for you...

I personally wouldn't do it unless I had a lot more money and it was track only. But I couldn't afford it if I messed one up....

But I dont know nothin about it really other then that look really SICK!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
1killer1liter said:
I would like to see a close up of the wheels on the bike. Looks real nice.
:+1: I'd like to see a close up too!!!!! SEXY!!!

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
think about this.... you're thinking about spending 1/2 the price you paid for the bike on a set of wheels.

Personally I think it's a little excessive for the street. If I was looking for every bit of edge on the track, then maybe... maybe I'd consider it

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jeech said:
think about this.... you're thinking about spending 1/2 the price you paid for the bike on a set of wheels.

Personally I think it's a little excessive for the street. If I was looking for every bit of edge on the track, then maybe... maybe I'd consider it
I thought about that, man... and here's my thoughts. I'm sort of having a mid-life crisis thing right now. I'm only 35 but my Mother died at 48 from bone cancer so in my eyes/mind I could be well over "half way there" myself. Hell, I might not live long enough to get the things if I ordered them today. Maybe I'll be around for quite some time yet but losing a parent that young changes the way I look at things. With that in mind, I'm lookin' to do some "crazy shit". Hell, I even thought about using home equity to buy a fuggin' Corvette! :headshake I'm over the Corvette thing, but I'm still in the mindset that I need to do some of the things I want to do because who knows when it'll be too late?

Yeah, spending $3k+ on a set of wheels for an $8k bike would be insanely stupid and I'm not even trying to justify it to myself or anyone else... I'm just thinkin', what the fuck, ya know? You only live once and you're not guaranteed another minute. I wouldn't do it if it was going to put me into a financial bind, or cause me to have to do without other things in life... but I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to do it just because it doesn't make perfect sense. I know it's stupid... but again... what the fuck? :dontknow: I can snag some off duty security (usually pays $25-$30 per hour) and make up the cost of the wheels pretty easy. Why not "live" and have something really nice that I want, ya know?

I may well end up not going quite so insane and just gettin' a set of Marvic magnesium wheels. But hey, either way I go with this it's infinitely less STUPID than me buying a Corvette using home equity! :heyyou: :mrgreen:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Man, you can always sell your stock rims for at least $500 I would think on ebay or something...just somethin to remember.

But as Jeech said...If you get em...you gotta go to the track...welll, you need to go to the track either way...

You only live once remember...:wink:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Figure this way you'll always be able to sell the carbons too. and usually for atleast 2500 thats what i've seen them go for. BTW if you upgrade to say the next version 636 they usually will use the same rims or all you'll need might be spacers.

Slava

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
El Diablo said:
I thought about that, man... and here's my thoughts. I'm sort of having a mid-life crisis thing right now.....

Hey El D... you've said more than enough. It sounds like the wheels will bring you ALOT of joy... Enjoy them :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hillcountry10r said:
Man, you can always sell your stock rims for at least $500 I would think on ebay or something...just somethin to remember.

But as Jeech said...If you get em...you gotta go to the track...welll, you need to go to the track either way...

You only live once remember...:wink:
I'd probably hang onto the stockers to throw back on if I sold the 636. I doubt anyone would want to pay the price to get them with the bike if I sold it. I'd have to recoup some cost on 'em somehow...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
flatout said:
Figure this way you'll always be able to sell the carbons too. and usually for atleast 2500 thats what i've seen them go for. BTW if you upgrade to say the next version 636 they usually will use the same rims or all you'll need might be spacers.

Slava
That was another thought. As long as I don't ruin them I could sell them when I ever swap bikes again and recoup a chunk of the cost. Then I could just look at what I lose on 'em as "rental fees" on the best mod I could do to my bike. I've no doubt spent more for less entertainment, ya know? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jeech said:
Hey El D... you've said more than enough. It sounds like the wheels will bring you ALOT of joy... Enjoy them :thumbsup:
Yeah... And can you imagine what Bloke will say when he sees 'em? He shat himself over that guy's $200 set of CRG levers. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
El Diablo said:
Yeah... And can you imagine what Bloke will say when he sees 'em? He shat himself over that guy's $200 set of CRG levers. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
:postcop:

Hey this aint no GSB!

:wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts