Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told my friend I wanted to get a custom map done for my bike.
He said he has heard that cabon firbre pipes can "melt"/get damaged by the heat created from the dyno runs...is this just :bs: or what :dontknow:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have to say my CF Arrow on my ZX is the 'coolest' pipe I've ever had. I can litterally grab hold of it right after a pretty spirited ride. I've tried this with the Ti pipe on my CBR and damn near burnt my fingerprints off. :mrgreen: (I guess the CF could be exposed to higher heats internally and on the dyno.) :dontknow:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ive never heard of such crap. Why would that make any difference? A good tuner will know enough to have a giant fan running directly in front of your bike anyways. (for airflow throught the Rad)

·
Registered
147 Posts
okie said:
wasnt there a pick Slava had on here with a melted CF can?

had everyone guessing what brand it was?

:dontknow:
I believe it was a CF Arrow on a/his Ducati? :dontknow: But wasn't the problem in the fuel mixture or something like that which caused it????

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've done quite a few runs with my 2 Bros CF, and there has never been a problem.
It cools fast, and is kind to passengers, cause of the less heat.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I put over 30 miles on my 636 on the dyno with a CF M4 on it with no probs. I can do the same thing and grab it right after a ride and it is not too extremely hot...

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Your canister will not melt because of the dyno runs. Slava's canister burned through because v-twins put out more heat than an I4. Any cf canister can burn through, but unless something is wrong with the packing it will take forever on an I4.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You've got to change the packing in CF cans at least every 10k miles, if not sooner.
The epoxy resin will break down if it's exposed to high temps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As usuall this board is great...good feed back on what was a somewhat silly question...but having just put on a CF pipe I had to ask... :beer: :beer: thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
The CF cans on my RC were always cool enough to touch. The SS on my Trumpet....that would burn your hand for 20 minutes after!

·
Registered
434 Posts
JodyH said:
You've got to change the packing in CF cans at least every 10k miles, if not sooner.
The epoxy resin will break down if it's exposed to high temps.

The first I have ever heard of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts