Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 2002 Mustang (v6 model). When putting the car into and out of park it makes a harsh grinding/rattle noise. Its almost a clunk sound, but I would like to fix it for her. The car also produces a bit of a shake too.

Obviously it could be a lot of things but is there anything that this car is notorious for?
Exhaust leak?
:dontknow:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And yes I have searched the web a bit. I WILL NEVER OWN A FORD lol. I do not know many people who have luck with them, and googling this problem there is a million things on noises and viboration coming from the vehicle, and some of the responses people are like:eek:h yeah I had this happen on a few of my explorers and other fords lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
Maybe motor mounts, or transmission mount.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would check engine mounts. I had a similar problem with my car. You could actually see the engine move when shifting. Does reverse give you a similar sound?

·
Registered
323 Posts
i would check the u-joint first you can change the front and rear for about 20$ and less than an hour of work. it will cause a clunk when putting it in and out of gear and will cause a vibration

·
Registered
371 Posts
Best to jack it up and look underneath. Check the u joints, trans and engine mounts, shift linkage, etc.

Pull the torque converter cover and check for loose converter bolts, flexplate damage.

Exhaust or other random loose parts.

Past that, it may be internal to the trans. Is it a 4r70w or an A4ld/4R444?

·
The Pace
6,988 Posts
hey, if she doesn't ask, don't do anything. If me, and she does complain, I'd pretend not to hear her!

·
Registered
54 Posts
if its a clunk sound then i would start with the u-joint. my jeep used to make a clunk sound anytime took it out or put into gear changed u-joint and problem fixed

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
The problem really sounds like the carrier bearings that hold your drive shaft in place. Usually there's 2 of em. That would make the clunk and make it shake at speed. They're kind of a pain in the ass because they are pressed on. But I'm about 90% sure that's your problem. If you get under the car you can look at the carriers and see if rubber part is cracked and worn out. See if you can kind of shake the drive shaft. Does the shaking feel like its in your ass? Like its comin from the rear?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Best to jack it up and look underneath. Check the u joints, trans and engine mounts, shift linkage, etc.

Pull the torque converter cover and check for loose converter bolts, flexplate damage.

Exhaust or other random loose parts.

Past that, it may be internal to the trans. Is it a 4r70w or an A4ld/4R444?
U nailed it sir

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm. Well by the responses it could be a million things. But I will give a better description when I am off this week. Repair shop said its an exhaust leak, that was awhile back. She said its from the moment the car is on, and while driving it so it is not in any specific gear or anything like that.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm. Well by the responses it could be a million things. But I will give a better description when I am off this week. Repair shop said its an exhaust leak, that was awhile back. She said its from the moment the car is on, and while driving it so it is not in any specific gear or anything like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts