Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I am looking into different vehicles to purchase(selling my truck to buy a car). I know the obvious choices, but was wondering about the Lincoln LS. How do these hold with reliability? What are the pros and cons? Thanks for the help.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have several friends who have owned them,only one has had some elecrtical problems.Other than that one they have all been pleased?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
yea dude, thats a bitchin car. co-worker has one lowered on 20s and it still rides prettyy good, handles amazing. remember that car was desgined and engineered by jaguar with the s-type. the s-type is as dowdy looking a car as you'll find but they are a hoot to drive. the v8 ls is a sweet as car, the v6 just a bit slower is all. i'd go for it!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
its a nice car but i just dont like american cars. my folks just picked up an 08 benz c300 4matic, and they love it. personally id go with something Japanese imo.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I would go with something Jap, but money is an issue too. Looking at maybe a 2000 LS for now and then later down the road getting into something Jap.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Id much rather have a 150,000mile Toyota than a 15,000 mile domestic car, this IS my opinion but I have alot of experience with vehicles and have developed this opinion over time. I value reliability alot more than you would think... the last thing a mechanic wants to do is work on a boring daily driver, bike or hot rod yea! daily driver no. If I had to choose I will always go with a older higher milage Toyota or Honda over a newer anything... I suggest an older one because Japanese imports will always demand more money because they are worth it...

Please forgive me for sounding unamerican I support the US fully but we just dont know how or don't want to design and produce reliable cars...

·
Registered
582 Posts
lemme add the obvious to my previous statement, ALWAYS have the vehicle checked BEFORE purchasing by a trusted mechanic... I know its hard to find one if you dont know one already but talk to him/her personally if you can have the service advisor introduce you and speak frankly with them, Hey is this thing solid? are you accustomed enough with this year, make and model to know its common points of failure if there were any? Ask about clean crankcase, not just clean oil... lets not get me started on the sludge motor business lol...I tell you what if you find a yota you like lemme know the year and model and I can let you know if there was anything common to look for on that vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know much about new(or new-ish) Lincolns. If I was going to buy one, I would go to places like Edmunds, Autobytel, Comnsumer Reports, Cars.com and maybe an enthusiast site.

Trouble is, at enthusiast sites you tend to get lots of positive spin to even real issues.

I'm a car enthusiast, just not a modern car enthusiast. I like muscle cars of the '60s to '71 inclusive.

Get as many facts as you can, and try to make your decision based on verifiabla data, rather than hyperbole.

I tend to buy cheap but reliable cars, as all my discretionary car money goes into drag racing projects(great return on invested capital there :rolleyes: )

Having a good tech. check out your potential purchase is a must, as is a Carfax report if you're spending anything like real money on your new ride.

Choose wisely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good friend of mine had a 2002 lincoln ls v8, and had TONS of problems with it. It had 63,000 miles on it when she got rid of it. Water pump went out, a/c compressor burnt up, alternator went out, two different spark plug coils quit working, front left wheel bearing went out, multiple electrical issues including tachometer, and a/c control panel. These are the only things that I'm aware of. She got rid of it, and replaced it with a bigger piece of shit in the form of a crysler 300... :headshake

·
Registered
805 Posts
Id much rather have a 150,000mile Toyota than a 15,000 mile domestic car, this IS my opinion but I have alot of experience with vehicles and have developed this opinion over time. I value reliability alot more than you would think... the last thing a mechanic wants to do is work on a boring daily driver, bike or hot rod yea! daily driver no. If I had to choose I will always go with a older higher milage Toyota or Honda over a newer anything... I suggest an older one because Japanese imports will always demand more money because they are worth it...

Please forgive me for sounding unamerican I support the US fully but we just dont know how or don't want to design and produce reliable cars...
meh, buy up all the high milage shit you want....:badteeth::lol:

I was a mechanic for years, I have owned a shitload of cars. I would NEVER own another BMW, VW, jaguar or mecedes again, peices of shit that cost a ton to fix. Pretty much anything late model is good nowadays.

as for the jap vs US debate, I have had hondas that had more problems arise than lots of the "cheap" american cars I have owned. For the most part the Jap cars are(were) a bit better built and needed slightly less repairs, but you pay out the ass for them in the first place so the domestics still cost me less after doing a few small repairs. BTW, right now my work truck is a 98 silverado with 160k on the clock and runs great (only ever done a alternator and wiper motor on it) and I have a 340,000k cutlass that just keeps on going without a hitch.....

as for my personal opinion, i just dont like fords:lol:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Interesting how different people have different experiences with the same thing. I'm on my second VW diesel ... sold the first one (still running) with 462,000 km on it. Our family has had good luck with VW's, BUT ... mostly diesels, and we stay the heck away from their automatic transmissions! I haven't found them any more expensive to keep going than anything else decent, BUT I know where to buy parts and who to get to work on them (not the dealer!).

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I wouldnt do it as they dont hold resale value for one. They are expensive to repair as it is considered a luxry vehicle. Id also find something that gets decent gas mileage if your on a budget. That car is about 8 years old and its going to start having problems if it already hasnt. Buy something that you know is reliable and wont give you problems down the road.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, agreed about the reliability thing. I am actually going to buy a used OLDER Honda, probably accord, for now for commuting to work and such. The thing is later we would like to get a solid newer used vehicle and just don't know what the hell to look for, LOL. Thanks for everyones input so far, but keep the opinions coming cause I just haven't made up my mind yet.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I wouldnt do it as they dont hold resale value for one. They are expensive to repair as it is considered a luxry vehicle. Id also find something that gets decent gas mileage if your on a budget. That car is about 8 years old and its going to start having problems if it already hasnt. Buy something that you know is reliable and wont give you problems down the road.
That is one thing, lincolns seem to have the worst resale value of any car on the market. But, on the other side of the fence, you dont pay shit to buy it in the first place, just dont buy new and your alright

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is one thing, lincolns seem to have the worst resale value of any car on the market. But, on the other side of the fence, you dont pay shit to buy it in the first place, just dont buy new and your alright
If we got one it would be a 2000 probably. Get one around $4k, which isn't to bad. As far as resale, not worried cuz it's going to be around for a long time. Getting out of the continuous car payment thing:idea:. Going to own the fugger and not give someone else a shitload of extra money by financing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
gotta tell ya, i've worked for lincoln mercury for 20 years-the only car that was a bigger piece of shit than the LS was the 1988-1994 continental, it would blow head gaskets,struts,powersteering lines,motormounts and the list goes on. now the LS sway bars rattle,heater control leaks,hydrodrive fan fucks up and overheats the car,,tranny breaks the bands,window regulators break(window falls into the door)and the list goes on-don't get an LS,you will be sorry-working at the dealer this is what i see. now if you want a lincoln, get a mark 8 in 93' those things were fast as hell (ya know for a lincoln) smoke'in tires chirp'in gears. later on they were a little more refined the 98' was really nice, also the 1995-2002 continental was nice too, it had the same 4 cam 4.6L as the mark 8 but front well drive.also the 95' was nice but as the years went by they were more refined-both of these cars early on had a few problems but nothing major,thats why i would say look for a clean later model from an older man or women. hope this is all helpful believe me i speak the truth :mrgreen: oh p.s. jap car service depts. are full of broken cars to. hee hee

1 - 20 of 21 Posts