• Magnaflow

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the wife wants a little noise with her new stang, ive been lookin into the flowmasters and magnaflows. i can get a cat-back flowmaster setup off the net for under $400 shipped, and my local muffler shop wants $650 installed for magnaflows. I know there are some more options out there, but these seem to be the top 2 recommendations in this price range.

what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
562 Posts
a friend of mine is an avid mustang fan and owner... he just installed a full magnaflow exhaust and it is well worth the extra money... that price is not bad considering that borla would cost or could cost more than that.... just my 2 cents though...

also install is easy so save yourself some money and do the install yourself... with a friend helping:thumbsup:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,727 Posts
Neither, Borla!
Magnaflow is similar in design, Flowmaster sounds good but is not as good a power maker as the strait through type, but oh that flowmaster sound especially on high compression cammed up small blocks, and 5.0 stangs with no cats. Gotta trip on them flows, whoo whoo!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
its the wifes car, so performance numbers arent priority correct? i would get flomasters. they just sound awesome.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If you want some sound, Flowmaster.

If you want some extra performance Magnaflow's.

I just removed the flowmaster 2 chamber off of my 2001 Formula. With no cats on the car it sounded good, had some rasp but still sounded good. With the Magnaflow on it still without cats it now is more tame sounding. You can actually have a conversation in the car now at highway speeds.

One of the local guys did a back to back dyno run with the Flowmaster versus the Magnaflows. Picked up 14rwhp on his setup when he changed over to the Magnaflows.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im lookin more for noise than performance, the cars already a handful for her. i did put it through its paces a little and wasnt real impressed. could be that im just too used to how the 10 takes off though. its hard to be impressed by cars anymore since owning a 10.

compared to other cars and my old camaro (rs v6) its pretty strong though.

for her sound is what she is after, i wouldnt mind pickin up a few ponies though.

does the magnaflow setup sound similar to flows? ive heard tons of flows but cant recall hearing magnaflows, if i did i didnt know it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i picked Flowmaster 'cause that's what I got on my truck :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sneaky said:
One of the local guys did a back to back dyno run with the Flowmaster versus the Magnaflows. Picked up 14rwhp on his setup when he changed over to the Magnaflows.

the cats are going to stay, will be a catback system so im not sure how it will be performance wise.

hows the $650 installed for the magnaflow sound? im not sure how much is parts and how much is labor but i did a little lookin around and can pick up the flowmaster setup for under $400 shipped.

i dont have access to a lift, only jack and jackstands so i dunno if i feel like messin with putting it on myself. guess it depends on what the shop will charge me?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Do what I did on my truck.....Cut off the stock muffler and tail pipe and had the muffler shop install a V Force muffler with dual trun downs right in front of the rear axle. Sounds great!! It is a bit loud, but I have had it for a few months now and no harrasement from the po-po....It WILL set off car alarms at 15-20 mph!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Big Daddy said:
How about getting the slip-ons off an 06,7 zx10 and mount them sucka's up?! gotta be good for 2hp :spit:

BD
hmmm.... carbon akra hex's????? :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gaugelane said:
man i have had many stangs. both with 5.0 and 4.6 engines. not mention the others i have built for friends. If you want that awesome sound put an x pipe on with flowmasters!

x-pipe gets rid of the cats right? we have state inspections here and it wont pass without the cats at least looking functional. no emissions test but gotta be there.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
No X pipe does not remove the cats. The X pipe or H pipe bolt right up to the cats. most cat backs will include a new H pipe for their design.

With a cat back you are going to hopefully pick up some power as well. I would think at least 10rwhp with any of the major systems.

If you are only after sound I would just take it to a muffler shop, have them cut the factory mufflers off and put on either a flowmaster or Magnaflow. flowmasters should only be about $80 each, magnaflows around $100 each. Then maybe another $50 for install.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts