Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...i found a car that I really want and am going to have to trade what I have on it. My car is paid off and I have the title in hand.

I have a 2007 Toyota FJ.
trade in value KBB $21,050
retail KBB $26,220

What I want to trade on at dealers lot:
Dealers sticker price $59,999
trade in value KBB $53,250
retail KBB $59,540

i know im going to get ass raped...but what would be a reasonable deal i could trade for that would just hurt a little, and i would be able to live the rest of my life without to much shame?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's a tough one. With the bad economy, they may rather have your vehicle on the lot then the C06 (easier to sell), thus you might be able to swing a good deal. My guess is its better to private sale and walk in with cash.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
I always sell shit first then look for what I want to buy. You get a lot more obviously if you sell it, then go in there with cash and talk them down a little bit. Its definitely worth the extra work and time!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I would try to sell it outright as well, but with this market selling a 25k FJ wont be very easy either. However here are a couple of tips to make sure you get the best deal possible.

1. Everything is negotiable, dont ever forget that.
2. If you going to be making payments, dont ever tell them how much your willing to pay a month, only tell them what you are willing to pay for the car.
3. Do not mention that you have a trade in until you have settled on a price.

A typical conversation may go a lot like this, because dealers are going to badger you, but stick to your guns and your facts.

DEALER: “What can I do to get you into this car today?”

YOU: “Nothing, I am not buying a car today.” You can say this even if you plan on buying a car that day. Even though you told the salesperson that you don't intend to buy a car during your visit, they won't stop pressuring you to buy.

DEALER: “How much would you like to pay each month?”

YOU: “How much I can afford per month is irrelevant. I just want to negotiate my new car purchase price.“

DEALER: “How do you plan on paying for the car?”

YOU: “I would like to negotiate the price of the car before we get into payment options.”

DEALER: “Do you plan on trading in your old car?”

YOU: “No. I would like to negotiate the price of the new car.” Only mention that you are interested in trading in your old car once you've negotiated the price of the new car.

You should have done your research and should know how much you can get the car for. State your price and tell the salesperson that you are willing to buy the car today for that price. Once you have stated your price, don't budge from it until he counters. Wait for them to counter with a price before you raise your bid—no matter how much they pressure you.

Make sure you know your facts before you go in. Know what you are willing to pay for the car, know what your FJ is worth, find out if there are any rebates or incentives for the car your looking to buy. Its all about research, keeping your cool, and sticking to your guns.

Hope thats not to much b.s. for ya lol

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always sell shit first then look for what I want to buy. You get a lot more obviously if you sell it, then go in there with cash and talk them down a little bit. Its definitely worth the extra work and time!
youre right..cant argue. i work three jobs and put in about 80 hours a week, so i dont have time to jack around with people, go for test drives, work out finiances with them, etc...and i am not able to take time off work for several more months:(

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would try to sell it outright as well, but with this market selling a 25k FJ wont be very easy either. However here are a couple of tips to make sure you get the best deal possible.

1. Everything is negotiable, dont ever forget that.
2. If you going to be making payments, dont ever tell them how much your willing to pay a month, only tell them what you are willing to pay for the car.
3. Do not mention that you have a trade in until you have settled on a price.

A typical conversation may go a lot like this, because dealers are going to badger you, but stick to your guns and your facts.

DEALER: “What can I do to get you into this car today?”

YOU: “Nothing, I am not buying a car today.” You can say this even if you plan on buying a car that day. Even though you told the salesperson that you don't intend to buy a car during your visit, they won't stop pressuring you to buy.

DEALER: “How much would you like to pay each month?”

YOU: “How much I can afford per month is irrelevant. I just want to negotiate my new car purchase price.“

DEALER: “How do you plan on paying for the car?”

YOU: “I would like to negotiate the price of the car before we get into payment options.”

DEALER: “Do you plan on trading in your old car?”

YOU: “No. I would like to negotiate the price of the new car.” Only mention that you are interested in trading in your old car once you've negotiated the price of the new car.

You should have done your research and should know how much you can get the car for. State your price and tell the salesperson that you are willing to buy the car today for that price. Once you have stated your price, don't budge from it until he counters. Wait for them to counter with a price before you raise your bid—no matter how much they pressure you.

Make sure you know your facts before you go in. Know what you are willing to pay for the car, know what your FJ is worth, find out if there are any rebates or incentives for the car your looking to buy. Its all about research, keeping your cool, and sticking to your guns.

Hope thats not to much b.s. for ya lol
yea, i basically know the game. i was looking for some hard numbers about how much cash i would need to come with to make it happen.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
^ good info Teeks. Also helps if you have your own financial options before hand. (CU or personal bank)

Good as cash in hand sorta speak.

Made a offer on a '10 Tundra a few months ago, salesman laughed gave the ole "I gotta feed my family" bullshit, well I guess his family may be starving cause the truck is still on the lot. :lol:

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Hell for what you wanna sell the cj or what ever it was you can almost buy a new v6 mustang(2011)..Love to have the coin for a gt 500 or a super snake myself...

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Yeah but its not 30 thou more either..If $$ wasnt an issue with him he wouldnt be here...Just offerin a cost effective option was all..

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah but its not 30 thou more either..If $$ wasnt an issue with him he wouldnt be here...Just offerin a cost effective option was all..
youre right. im not rich by any means and need to make a decent deal to make it work. just wondering if anyone was a salesman i would give me some insight of what to expect.

if they want retail for theirs and bottom dollar trade in on mine, im gonna have to come up with a new game plan.

im guessing they are not going to trade me the difference between retail and retail, or they really wouldnt make anything except maybe have a vehicle that might be a little easier to sell in this economy due to it being cheaper and winter coming on.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
If I was gonna spend that kind of coin, I would put it on a house.

It's a lot better investment than a car. At least your money will grow

and you can sell the house for more than you paid for it.

Do you a flip house and have cash for the whole car,

that's how I paid for my bike.

Then you got no car note to float and don't have to

work a bajillion hours at work to pay for it.

You should base your living expenses on 30 hours

and the rest is savings for your nest egg for when you can't work.

JMTC

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I was gonna spend that kind of coin, I would put it on a house.

It's a lot better investment than a car. At least your money will grow

and you can sell the house for more than you paid for it.

Do you a flip house and have cash for the whole car,

that's how I paid for my bike.

Then you got no car note to float and don't have to

work a bajillion hours at work to pay for it.

You should base your living expenses on 30 hours

and the rest is savings for your nest egg for when you can't work.

JMTC
your right...cant argue that. i dont need the car, but...

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
your right...cant argue that. i dont need the car, but...
I know, LOL. That Vette is calling you. :lol:
Gotta have it. Been there done that. (not the vette tho)

·
Registered
137 Posts
i bird dog for a dealer in okc, and i'm here to tell you that in today's market, you're looking at about 15 to 20 percent markup on what the dealer has into the inventory. so when you go to buy this car, keep in mind that they gotta make theirs too. but at the same time, you gotta look out for your interests. very often, walking into a dealer with a big check or wad of cash in hand is not gonna make a lick of difference in the cost of the car in your favor. having that much down may actually hurt you in the long run, because they can get more on top with financing, and they will be less likely to deal because most financing companies give kickbacks. when the bank can't make as much, the dealer can't make as much. "i got kids to feed" is a line they all use, too. your kids are not my problem. go in educated, don't ever get your hopes up on your trade value, never divulge your max payment. never tell them you really want the car, just that you like it. make them come to you. make a realistic offer, and when they don't take it, walk out of the dealership and go home. if it's a fair deal for both of you, they're gonna call you back. and DO NOT TELL THEM YOU FOUND IT CHEAPER SOMEWHERE ELSE UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROMISORY NOTE FROM THE OTHER DEALER. as soon as you say that and it isn't true, they're gonna know and then shark you. remember, these guys do this every day. they're good at it, or they wouldn't be doing it. when you walk in there, you are at the disadvantage. so walk in there as smart as you can be. and remember, you have a reliable functional vehicle that can do all you need it to, so if it don't work out, it don't work out. leave your feelings in your garage and bring your head. best of luck, and i hope you get the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts