Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where do I begin? I know I'm gonna get a lot shit for this one because I know a lot of people here absolutely love the track. I am by no means a track veteran, actually this year is the first time I've ever been to a track (non drag). I've been riding for years but never really got around to doing a track day. Well since my first track day, I've gone a few times and I must say I do like it. Just not having to worry about intersections and cars is a big + for me. Also being able to let loose on the throttle on the straights without worrying about getting a tickets is another major +. Like I said, I do enjoy it and I will try go keep going at least once every 2 months BUT for some reason, call me crazy if you want, I love the freakin canyons! There is just something about it that I love. I'm not sure if it's the scenery or what but I never get tired of it. Every time I have been to the track, as exciting as it is at first, I'm done with it in a few hours. I get bored of doing the same turns over and over. Not saying Im a pro in anyway, there is always room for improvement but it just doesn't satisfy me the way it apparently does to most of you.

The Canyon for me is the ultimate. I think it's a mix between the uncertainty, nature and the rush that my 10 provides that just gets me. I must admit being in a uncontrolled environment does something for me. I've always been the adrenaline junkie though, I love to sky dive, ride in the desert (quads/dirt bikes), jet ski, anything exciting really. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way a squid, I am responsible (as responsible as you can be on a bike) I wear proper gear, I respect others so you wont ever catch me doing wheelies in rush hour traffic but you will catch me doing 189mph on a long lonely straight when no one is around. I also try to make it a point to hit the canyons really early in the morning when no one is out.

Point is, if I had to choose between the two, I pick the canyon. I just wonder if there is anyone out there that feels the same way or am I just freakin weird like that? Let me know what you guys think.

edited 10/2/09- added video to prove my point that the canyon is just as fast as the track.
edited 10/4/09- added track video for comparison

Here is the Canyon video, see track video below

Here is the track video. Sorry but as far as how technical you have to get, its the god damn same!

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Your full os shit.....:lol: J/K...:spit:
For me it goes like this:
Canyon riding: I enjoy it, it's a good feeling riding with friends

Trackday: I love it due to no worries..(LEO,AUTO & SQUIDS)..I can relax more and try new techniques..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your full os shit.....:lol: J/K...:spit:
For me it goes like this:
Canyon riding: I enjoy it, it's a good feeling riding with friends

Trackday: I love it due to no worries..(LEO,AUTO & SQUIDS)..I can relax more and try new techniques..
I guess I love the thrill of not being in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'll bite cause I have had this conversation a dozen times before.

So when you go to the track, are you the fastest out of your friends? Do you end up in the "a" group or one of the slower groups?

When you go to the track are you fastest out of your friends? Do you lead the pack or pull up the back?

If you answer that honestly (really honestly) I am guessing that you are much faster on the street than on the track, thus your fun factor is higher on the street. I am not going to say one is better than the other cause everyone is different. But it almost always boils down to where you are fastest/more comfortable is where you will say you enjoy yourself more.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm not gonna argue, but for my own safety and looking out for not only my future but my 6 year old son's as well since i'm an only parent, i stopped riding street a few years ago. There are just too many variables and unknowns that can happen on the street! One slip up and your either dead, hurt really bad, or going to jail in cuffs. I can't afford any of that, and unless i'm going balls to the wall fast i get no thrill from riding anymore. So i ride track only now and love it!!!

Now onto you saying you love a rush and your a big adrenaline junkie? I got something that will blow your mind that you should try.... Only problem is you'd have to come out here (east coast) and try woods (single track) riding on a dirtbike and fast speeds! You talk about a rush!!! One slip up in the woods and your gonna be in pain, as hitting a tree, rock, etc. on a dirtbike hurts like hell!!! (personal experience several times)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love both! I love carving up a canyon as much as the next guy, just like I enjoy racing or doing track days. They both have different appeals to me. I could see why canyon carving would give you more excitement or what not, so I won't knock you, even though I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll bite cause I have had this conversation a dozen times before.

So when you go to the track, are you the fastest out of your friends? Do you end up in the "a" group or one of the slower groups?

When you go to the track are you fastest out of your friends? Do you lead the pack or pull up the back?

If you answer that honestly (really honestly) I am guessing that you are much faster on the street than on the track, thus your fun factor is higher on the street. I am not going to say one is better than the other cause everyone is different. But it almost always boils down to where you are fastest/more comfortable is where you will say you enjoy yourself more.
Honestly I think I'm equally fast on both. There are times where I was ahead of all my friends and there are times where they were ahead of me. I wasnt smoking them and they werent smoking me, we're all equally skilled for the most part.

Another thing is that on the canyon you also have to think about if a car is coming around the corner so it forces you to stay in your lane, on a track you have more width to play with. Also, I have seen tighter turns on some canyons than on the track, you can even pull it up on google earth and compare for yourself. Im not talking about those long slow turning canyon roads, Im talking about the super tight twisties that got you leaning back and forth the whole time.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not gonna argue, but for my own safety and looking out for not only my future but my 6 year old son's as well since i'm an only parent, i stopped riding street a few years ago. There are just too many variables and unknowns that can happen on the street! One slip up and your either dead, hurt really bad, or going to jail in cuffs. I can't afford any of that, and unless i'm going balls to the wall fast i get no thrill from riding anymore. So i ride track only now and love it!!!

Now onto you saying you love a rush and your a big adrenaline junkie? I got something that will blow your mind that you should try.... Only problem is you'd have to come out here (east coast) and try woods (single track) riding on a dirtbike and fast speeds! You talk about a rush!!! One slip up in the woods and your gonna be in pain, as hitting a tree, rock, etc. on a dirtbike hurts like hell!!! (personal experience several times)

I totally understand about being a single parent with a kid. In that situation I would rethink riding altogether, your kids come first. I would love to try woods, sounds like fun! :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love both! I love carving up a canyon as much as the next guy, just like I enjoy racing or doing track days. They both have different appeals to me. I could see why canyon carving would give you more excitement or what not, so I won't knock you, even though I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will.
Glad someone understands!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Glad someone understands!

get your race lic and start racing, doubtful you will be "done with it after a few hrs" it would seem you like the challenge of the canyons and the trackday isn't giving you that. Racing will, or start timing your laps and work on getting better then you will have the challenge at the track.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
Ive done a few trackdays and loved every one of them. I love canyons though too. I definently have learned more on the track and gained a whole lot of speed. But i agree with you man, the canyons are a great time and especially where you and i live where there are so many great canyons to ride (some actually become like a racetrack on the weekends).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But i agree with you man, the canyons are a great time and especially where you and i live where there are so many great canyons to ride (some actually become like a racetrack on the weekends).
HELL YEAH! See that's what Im talking about. Sometimes I think people just dont have any bad ass canyons where they are at. From San Diego to LA and everywhere in between there are a shitload of options to choose from, it never gets old. And yes they do become like race tracks, very long race tracks, on some days.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If you want the ultimate "canyon" thrill, the Isle of Man is the place to be. They do their best to mitigate the risk, but I can tell you that after my visit to the UK this past year, and studying those stone walls, they are as sharp and as unyielding as they look on TV. Still, it's got to be the most challenging road course in the world, and you'll never get tired of going around the same corner over and over again.

I myself love hitting up the curves and the mountains, but I also find myself reining myself in because of the "what if's" keep popping up in my head. I can no longer attack the road with the same intensity or aggression as I used to. However, I am also not willing to give up these scenic and spirited rides either. I love the track for other reasons in that I am willing to hang it out a bit more, push my skill limitations, and do my best GP star impressions. By no means am I fooling myself that the track is absolutely safe, but the risk is definitely less and medical help is close by. Nothing worse than lying at the bottom of a desolate rocky ravine in the canyons waiting to become buzzard food.

I often wondered why veteran racers seem to get to a point in life when they just can't perform to the same level as when they were younger (beyond just physical conditioning). I find that now that I'm older, I realize I consider my own mortality a lot more. At least now that I'm older, I can tell all those young gits about how awesome I was in my youth. What's that old saying, "The older I get, the faster I was?" LOL.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
get your race lic and start racing, doubtful you will be "done with it after a few hrs" it would seem you like the challenge of the canyons and the trackday isn't giving you that. Racing will, or start timing your laps and work on getting better then you will have the challenge at the track.
That's not a bad idea but between work and family it's kind of hard to find the time to do that. right now I can get up really early and go for a spin while everyone is sleeping and Im good with that.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you want the ultimate "canyon" thrill, the Isle of Man is the place to be. They do their best to mitigate the risk, but I can tell you that after my visit to the UK this past year, and studying those stone walls, they are as sharp and as unyielding as they look on TV. Still, it's got to be the most challenging road course in the world, and you'll never get tired of going around the same corner over and over again.

I myself love hitting up the curves and the mountains, but I also find myself reining myself in because of the "what if's" keep popping up in my head. I can no longer attack the road with the same intensity or aggression as I used to. However, I am also not willing to give up these scenic and spirited rides either. I love the track for other reasons in that I am willing to hang it out a bit more, push my skill limitations, and do my best GP star impressions. But on the road, I'm just too concerned of all the uncertainties and variables as well as the inevitable run in with law enforcement.

I often wondered why veteran racers seem to get to a point in life when they just can't perform to the same level as when they were younger (beyond just physical conditioning). I find that now that I'm older, I realize I consider my own mortality a lot more. At least now that I'm older, I can tell all those young gits about how awesome I was in my youth. What's that old saying, "The older I get, the faster I was?" LOL.
Thats a good post! I think when you start getting older you start to actually think everything through and weigh the risks... its just maturity and experience. Im in my 30s and have calmed down a bit but when I was 21......:twisted: I didnt give a F***. Now with a family and age, Im more mellow but still have to have my fix of adrenaline every now and then just not as extreme as before.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's more of a convenience and scenery issue for me. I love track days for sure but it's just so easy to throw on some gear, jump on the bike in the garage, fill up with gas and hit 8 to 10 curvey canyon or mountain roads. I love that just as much. I try not to let my wrist get the best of me on the street but there is just something about the scenery to me. I've got about 15 years total riding and 12 of that on sportbikes. I'd like to think I'm somewhat mature on one. I'm a father of 3 boys by the way. Sure I don't want to get hurt but I've seen bad accidents on the street and track...even though the track is controlled. Which by the way, a controlled environment can be worse for some people who aren't mature enough to handle trying to push a bike beyond their own personal limits and capability.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Track for me because the street is getting to crazy. I love a good ride up the hill for sure but the track is no tickets and a EMT on site.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have had this same convo with a few people since my first track day. I am headed back to the track but what I noticed is at the track, most people are focused on riding at 100% and trying go above. I saw several newer riders (myself included) that were taking it a bit slower and possibly riding at 80% but I just didn't enjoy pushing myself at (my) 100% all the time.

That said, everyone's skill is different and what may have appeared to be 100% for the other riders I saw may have in fact have been (their) 80% but it just seemed a little more unsafe from strictly my perspective for me than riding on the street. This is just my opinion tho and is based simply on riding at 100% versus my normal of 60%-80%...

I am going back to test this theory tho and verify if its truly the fact that I was riding at (my) 100% or the fact that the regulars seemed like they were riding way faster. I have also considered the fact that it could be the ego shock of usually being one of the faster guys that I ride with and getting on the track and being like 11 or 12 out of 20 or so bikes. :badteeth:

Gotta agree though about being able to jump on the bike and go for a quick spin on some twisties when you only got a few hours to spare. :cool:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had this same convo with a few people since my first track day. I am headed back to the track but what I noticed is at the track, most people are focused on riding at 100% and trying go above. I saw several newer riders (myself included) that were taking it a bit slower and possibly riding at 80% but I just didn't enjoy pushing myself at (my) 100% all the time.

That said, everyone's skill is different and what may have appeared to be 100% for the other riders I saw may have in fact have been (their) 80% but it just seemed a little more unsafe from strictly my perspective for me than riding on the street. This is just my opinion tho and is based simply on riding at 100% versus my normal of 60%-80%...

I am going back to test this theory tho and verify if its truly the fact that I was riding at (my) 100% or the fact that the regulars seemed like they were riding way faster. I have also considered the fact that it could be the ego shock of usually being one of the faster guys that I ride with and getting on the track and being like 11 or 12 out of 20 or so bikes. :badteeth:

Gotta agree though about being able to jump on the bike and go for a quick spin on some twisties when you only got a few hours to spare. :cool:

I think if you do strictly street riding, now Im talking freeways and surface streets, then yeah, if you go to the track you're gonna be in shock at how slow you are. But the canyons I ride have turns and twists just like the track do and more. So the first time I went to the track it really didnt feel too different than what Im used to. Like I said before, I can see why the safety factor is a + for a lot of people but I just prefer the canyon. personal preference.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts