Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts
I have the 2012 10R and I will tell you the traction control even set to #1 will not let you pop a wheelie bigger than a couple of inches off the ground. The traction control isnt just for spinning the rear wheel. It helps keep the front end down on hard accelerations. If you take off the traction control, not #1,2, or 3, but OFF, It will come up trust me. With out even using the clutch you can power them up at low/mid RPM's.
You might be surprised. Even bone stock, I could pop a 1st gear wheelie at least half way to the balance point and keep the front tire off the ground for a short distance in TC setting 1. It wouldn't stay at the peak height but gradually lower itself until I was back on the ground. This isn't throttling out of a corner mind you, but loading the front end under engine breaking and cracking open the throttle very aggressively at 8000+rpm.

This isn't throttling out of a corner mind you, but loading the front end under engine *breaking* and cracking open the throttle very aggressively at 8000+rpm.

FYI, your engine might break if you use it to brake. You should take a break from the internet and break open a manual to figure out the proper use of your brakes. But don't worry, if you do engine brake it won't break right away.

hahahahahaaaaaaa ^ I see what you done there

Reactions: SkyDork
Hey guys, title says it all. I just got her a week ago with 3k miles on her. She just won't go up. I've been using the clutch up technique because I've heard and feel that it is the safest method to learn, although I know that nothing about wheelies are safe. Now when I'm really pounding the bike, she'll Pop up a few inches by herself shifting from 1st to second. I only weigh about 125-130 lbs. However, here's how my attempts go with the clutch up wheelies. I've tried everything from sitting down to standing up in the staggered position, I pop the clutch with 2 fingers, one finger, anyway that I can. And I give it anywhere from 5k-11k rpm, with the best results getting me up about 3-4 inches before bringing me back down after less than half a second and accelerating me to speeds over 70mph in first gear. I've tried popping out the clutch in 2nd gear as well with even less success. A thing to note is that it did have a quick shifter which would delay the ignition cut out, however I found the computer under the passenger seat and removed it. Nothing seems to be working for me, and here's the reason I came here. I wanted to know if you guys have any advice on popping it up? Any help would be greatly appreciated, however please I know the risks of what I'm doing so please don't scold me. I'm doing it in a safe environment with all the protection. Thank you all for your help.
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. Yes I do have traction control off when I'm attempting this. I am gonna have to wait a few days to try again. I made the mistake of stopping for a cop, bike got impounded and I ended up in jail for the night lol no biggy tho. And okay, I know the bike will pop up, but I've read a lot that the gen 4's have a hard time getting up there, and that seems to be my problem. Like I said, I just got the bike not too long ago, and it had a lot of extras and goodies. Don't rip me for this, I'm just asking if this is a possibility, but I noticed one of the extras was a chain length adjuster. Could this be another thing holding me back from wheelies?
Alright guys, yes it is aftermarket by lighttech(the chain adjuster) and no this isn't my first bike but my bike before this didn't quite have the power of a liter bike. It was a Suzuki gs500f, so it was Def nowhere near the power of a liter bike. And as I said in the first post, I wanted to learn a clutch up wheelie first because I personally would feel more comfortable and it is somewhat safer. The bike will go up a few inches on its own if I'm ripping through first, but I was looking to achieve more of a slower, controlled wheelie, and hopefully learn to bring it to balance point eventually.
Thanks guys for all the help. Finally started clutching it up, I'm getting about a foot up before it comes back down. Next step is to chase it out. What worked best for me was standing up and (this may sound weird) but popping the clutch twice. I'm assuming this is cause I'm still figuring out the rpm and throttle control for the wheelie, so on the second clutch up, the bike comes up smoother and easier since the rpms are already higher with the first clutch drop. Anyway I'm gonna keep practicing and start chasing it out, I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. Thanks everyone for the help! Ride safe bike fam
Funny stuff definitely pulling people's chains:crackup:

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.