Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I can not put in gear, it just sounds but no gear can be put in, I rode the motorcycle and the gears stopped working, anyone know what could be wrong? zx10r model year 2006. thanks in advance

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,879 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear that.

It's hard to know exactly what's wrong without knowing your current setup and what you were doing at the time. What gear is it stuck in? Were you stopped or riding at the time? Is the pedal floppy or rigid? Assuming you're running the OEM rearsets and have already verified the shift pedal, shift linkage, and shift arm are all good, then you're going to have to start tearing deeper into the motor.

If the shift shaft is damaged, that will cause your issue and is one of the easiest things to fix. Same with the shift star as well. The problem is, you have to the pull the clutch basket to get to those parts. That's cumbersome, but fairly easy and straightforward if you do your own work. If neither one of those turns out to be the issue, then you have to get to the transmission themselves. The shift drum, input and output shafts, the gears themselves would require dropping the motor from the frame and splitting the crankcase in half to get to those. The parts are not expensive, but the labor to get to them can be. So start with the first things to figure out what is going on. I'm betting it's a problem with the shift shaft or a broken return spring on the detent arm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It's hard to know exactly what's wrong without knowing your current setup and what you were doing at the time. What gear is it stuck in? Were you stopped or riding at the time? Is the pedal floppy or rigid? Assuming you're running the OEM rearsets and have already verified the shift pedal, shift linkage, and shift arm are all good, then you're going to have to start tearing deeper into the motor.

If the shift shaft is damaged, that will cause your issue and is one of the easiest things to fix. Same with the shift star as well. The problem is, you have to the pull the clutch basket to get to those parts. That's cumbersome, but fairly easy and straightforward if you do your own work. If neither one of those turns out to be the issue, then you have to get to the transmission themselves. The shift drum, input and output shafts, the gears themselves would require dropping the motor from the frame and splitting the crankcase in half to get to those. The parts are not expensive, but the labor to get to them can be. So start with the first things to figure out what is going on. I'm betting it's a problem with the shift shaft or a broken return spring on the detent arm.

hi thanks for your reply. I do not get any gear at all, not the first gear or any of the others, it sounds like it does not cog in, it rattles in the gearbox, just like the cog does not want to cog in each other. if I put in the first gear, nothing the same happens if I put in the others, it does not drive to the rear wheel. I have removed the clutch and everything, spins the shaft on which the clutch sits and puts it in the gear so it's just like the gear does not want to jump in. hard to explain but I hope you understand roughly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,879 Posts
Yup, if the gears are clanking together like that, it would imply that you have an issue with the shift forks or shift drum. The movement on the forks isn't long enough to allow the gear pairs to mate correctly as you mention. I'd want to look at the shift forks and the slots in the drum. But that would require much more breakdown to get to those. Looks like you've already verified the shift star and linkage are working so the rest of it is deeper in.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
913 Posts
Sorry to hear your problems, my Swedish Ninja Turtle. (Great screen name but he way).

Hey Sky, Is this normal??? Looks like the clutch basket has been rubbing? Could it be a clutch issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear your problems, my Swedish Ninja Turtle. (Great screen name but he way).

Hey Sky, Is this normal??? Looks like the clutch basket has been rubbing? Could it be a clutch issue?

View attachment 446816
thank you for liking my nickname.

consider whether there is something with the clutch basket that has caused it to wear against the engine.

may blow up the engine and see if it can be fixed in any way

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, if the gears are clanking together like that, it would imply that you have an issue with the shift forks or shift drum. The movement on the forks isn't long enough to allow the gear pairs to mate correctly as you mention. I'd want to look at the shift forks and the slots in the drum. But that would require much more breakdown to get to those. Looks like you've already verified the shift star and linkage are working so the rest of it is deeper in.
I'm afraid I'll have to tear the engine apart to try to access the problem, unfortunately. I'm going to try to get another garage so I can unscrew without a neighbor complaining hahaha thank you for taking the time to respond anyway appreciate it, love to you my friend

·
Registered
Gen 1 Spark Black and HP4 Competition.
269 Posts
Someone's had it opened up at some point..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts