Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've been reading these forum for weeks now as a result of getting a 2008 zx10r and really enjoying them. Today I was trying to set sag on the front and I just can get it past 19mm. I've set rebound to nil.

I've got 26mm on the rear without any difficulty

I'm around 180 ibs in full gear with stock suspension. I'm reading on the forum of guys with 38mm of sag on the front which is miles away from where I am.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated :smile:

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm no pro, but I remember the Gen 3 front suspension is pretty stiff and you may need to get lighter Springs. My buddy is 160-165 geared and I know he is gonna have to because he can't achieve proper sag numbers with his Gen 3.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm 220 in gear and have my springs way out to get proper sag you'll likely need softer springs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies - I've taken all the preload out to see if I can get a bit more sag but I'm stuck around 19mm.:headshake:

I was thinking softer springs alright but I'm trying to keep costs down.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Best you can do without spending money is a compromise, but

1) Kyb forks have a lot of stiction. Check free movement up and down by loosening off and re-tightening axle clamp bolts (manual p 10-7)

2) check sag when fork oil is warmed up after a ride.

3) are you checking sag from fully extended to rider on board? If you are, I'm guessing your 19mm figure is mostly free sag. (28mm would be ideal)

I'm 170lbs suited up and have changed out the fork springs for 0.90N. I also found there was too much oil in there from the factory, but as this is starting to get expensive...

4) back off preload to 8 lines. Take out ALL compression and rebound

5) fit a ziptie to fork leg and check position after ride. You should be using at least 2/3 travel

6) drop the front by raising the forks in the yokes 5mm

7) If none of this helps you need to next address the rear shock. The shock is as weak as the forks are strong. If you cant stretch to a fatter spring (stock is 90N I have 105N) jack up the rear ride height (6-8mm) using washers from your local hardware store under the shock mount. I slotted mine to make for easier fitting. This helps compensate for a soft spring and puts more weight over the front. You'll also want about 25mm thread showing above the spring which will now be at its shortest length

Like I said above, if you're going to do anything, fit a stronger shock spring first. It helps balance the bike. Stock suspension is way out of kilter.

where you from btw ? and keep us updated :smile:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Eat more cheeseburgers with lots of bacon. Or, go for lighter springs. Bacon cheeseburgers taste better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats really helpful - 19mm is 10mm free sag and 9mm of rider sag. It's was taken cold so I'll get it out for a spin and warm up the oil and see where I am from there.

Thanks for info.... failing that plan B... cream cakes and bacon butties :biggrin:

1) Kyb forks have a lot of stiction. Check free movement up and down by loosening off and re-tightening axle clamp bolts (manual p 10-7)

3) are you checking sag from fully extended to rider on board? If you are, I'm guessing your 19mm figure is mostly free sag. (28mm would be ideal)

I'm 170lbs suited up and have changed out the fork springs for 0.90N. I also found there was too much oil in there from the factory, but as this is starting to get expensive...

5) fit a ziptie to fork leg and check position after ride. You should be using at least 2/3 travel

7) If none of this helps you need to next address the rear shock. The shock is as weak as the forks are strong. If you cant stretch to a fatter spring (stock is 90N I have 105N) jack up the rear ride height (6-8mm) using washers from your local hardware store under the shock mount. I slotted mine to make for easier fitting. This helps compensate for a soft spring and puts more weight over the front. You'll also want about 25mm thread showing above the spring which will now be at its shortest length

Like I said above, if you're going to do anything, fit a stronger shock spring first. It helps balance the bike. Stock suspension is way out of kilter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for a really helpful reply. Sag is 10mm free sag and 9mm riders weight. All taken cold so with warmed up oil I will pick up a few more mm. Will adding in rebound rings not stiffen up front springs? They already feel rock hard with all preload out.

Will look at lifting the back...

What brand springs did you go for when you upgraded?

If all else fails it's cheese burgers and bacon butties.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Adding or taking away rebound has no affect on sag.

The preload is the anodized cap in the centre of your fork top. That will be what will affect the preload on the spring.

·
Registered
837 Posts
That should have read will preload not stiffen it more?

Cheers
Add preload to the rear shock only!

take all preload, rebound and compression damping out of the forks!

I have K-Tech fork springs and Faulkner race spring in the shock

are you US or UK based?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The preload makes sense now.

I'm in Dublin so more UK than US. Any info on price and suppliers for springs would be appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
837 Posts
A web search should give you all the info you need on suppliers for K-Tech and Faulkner, but I used Demon Tweeks for the Faulkner shock spring. You'll need to specify the weight and at 180lbs I would suggest 600 or even 625lb spring, but I like a stiff spring with minimum preload. You'll want a 203mm x 2.25in ID spring

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A web search should give you all the info you need on suppliers for K-Tech and Faulkner, but I used Demon Tweeks for the Faulkner shock spring. You'll need to specify the weight and at 180lbs I would suggest 600 or even 625lb spring, but I like a stiff spring with minimum preload. You'll want a 203mm x 2.25in ID spring
Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts