Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im so frustrated. The bolt that holds my front sprocket will not come off. I tried everything, impact gun, breaker bars. I even stripped the smaller bolt (27mm), and now im trying the larger one (32mm). I took it off before with no problem, but I dont know whats going on now. Im tempted to break it off and buy a new bolt, hopefully thats my last resort.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I was at the John Deere Dealership looking for some things not long ago and they had a can of something that will freeze the bolts and nuts to break them free. didn't really look at it but was reading the front of it in line LOL was wondering if it really works?? but I know heat works great if ya have a torch..

·
Registered
677 Posts
:+1:a little propane torch will work wonders on frozen hardware
:+2: along with tapping a hammer or mallot on it, then while heating use a breaker bar with a cheater. works every time for me. requires two people tho.

be careful not to twist it off.

·
Registered
353 Posts
did you use an air impact gun(like shops use to put on wheels)?If that would not get it off must really be tight.Why is the nut so tight on kawasaki?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Is there not a lock tab on the washing that requires to be bent before your remove the nut? I thought there was.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Penatrating spray. Let soak 5 minutes. BIGGER impact gun & more air pressure. Some people run a tablespoon of machine oil into their air line if they need a bastard nut/bolt out...... but I seriously don't recommend this for the life of your tools (or the mess it makes, yea haw).

I had the same issue onmy brothers 07 6R... it has 3 steps on the nut for sockets. It took my biggest 1/2 impact on the largest size socket (this helps, it gives the socket more leverage to spin it off) and about 105psi line pressure.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Been there, done that. Read a ton of posts on it too.
Electric impact. Let it hit about 7 times and it will start to loosen up.

Leave chain on.

Don't leave it in gear. Use a board between the wheel spokes.
This will work.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
have someone stand on the brake, chalk the wheel in between the spokes and put some serious M-A-N into it, it will come

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
have someone stand on the brake, chalk the wheel in between the spokes and put some serious M-A-N into it, it will come
...sometimes it doesn't. I've stood on a 6' bar once with no luck (I'm 180lbs... you can do the torque math there), and I've broken one 2x4 between the spokes this way too. BTW, a 2x4 CAN hurt your wheel/swingarm if you put enough M-A-N into it. :badteeth:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
...sometimes it doesn't. I've stood on a 6' bar once with no luck (I'm 180lbs... you can do the torque math there), and I've broken one 2x4 between the spokes this way too. BTW, a 2x4 CAN hurt your wheel/swingarm if you put enough M-A-N into it. :badteeth:
i was never good at math:lol:, but ive done a few of these and i know they differ in each case, maybe he needs some M-E-N for more weight:mrgreen:. sprayon rust breaker works great too.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Those nut are hard to take :lol:. I had to struggle taking those things of too. I sprayed wd 40 wait 15 mins and use an air impact gun :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had the same problem and I got so frustrated that I was about to use a torch when a tech at a dealership told me to use an hardened impact socket. The socket doesn't flex like the chrome ones do. It only took two quick hits and the nut came right off.

So if you haven't, try a stiffer socket. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
:eek:ccasion1
I had the same problem and I got so frustrated that I was about to use a torch when a tech at a dealership told me to use an hardened impact socket. The socket doesn't flex like the chrome ones do. It only took two quick hits and the nut came right off.

So if you haven't, try a stiffer socket. Hope this helps.
Just so everyone here knows: it's a really bad idea to use NON-impact sockets with and impact gun... especially when you're dealing with high-torque nuts & bolts. Everyone does it here and there, but those bastards will shatter/flower on occasion. Not fun.

You are correct though: impact sockets work much better.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts