Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The answer is YES..... incase anyone was ever wondering..... :thumbsup:
Only 2.5 hrs to get the head off including dis-assembly of head, port matching and cleaning.... off to the machine shop tomm.

I have quite a full garage, side work came slamming in this week for some reason.... :mrgreen:

this one is hiding from the others.... Its on vacation :wink:

anyone wanna guess what this will be getting and what bike it will be going on????? :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
hahaha, yes 2.5hrs is a good time. I do not do that kind of a tear down often, so that is a really good number for me to even think about. My house is not as cluttered as yours though.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BOOO you lol... yeah I have 7 bikes in the garage total right now, thank god I put the dirtbike and ATV in the race trailer..... getting just a wee bit cluttered... but half the bikes will be gone by the next few days.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
hahaha, not sure what BOOO meant. That kdx is for one of the boys, the YZ not pictured, etc for the other. I have too many kids to work on their bikes for at times. Let alone my rides. But tilting the engine seems to be a common issue with any of the street rides out there.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I think the zx12's actually you had to tilt the engine to get the head off....

as for the 10r's every single year you can remove the head with out touching the rear motor mounts :)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yes, I was definately wondering if you could pull the head on a 3rd gen without pulling the motor. Thanks

I'm gonna guess that head is getting epoxy and going on the 3rd gen.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
In for results.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I was definately wondering if you could pull the head on a 3rd gen without pulling the motor. Thanks

I'm gonna guess that head is getting epoxy and going on the 3rd gen.
close its goin on another 10r but yeah, will be one of the epoxy heads I'll be doing for a forum member..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
When you reinstall the head do you use factory bolts or some kind of arp stud or the like?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just pulled the head off my 10r yesterday,and it took me about twice as long as it took Garth...(4hrs)
Soon as i finish cleaning and labeling all my parts i will be shipping my head and kit cams to Sal @ Ace Performance,to get his stage1 port job.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
factory bolts, I have had no issues using the factory bolts with any 10r motor I have been in even with 14.5:1 compression and a 40 shot lol...... they hold just fine unless your going boosted

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
factory bolts, I have had no issues using the factory bolts with any 10r motor I have been in even with 14.5:1 compression and a 40 shot lol...... they hold just fine unless your going boosted
I assume you mean new OEM though, not reused right? I would assume they are tty, but I know much less about bike motors.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hey, that is not the bike of the infamous "Trey" hiding in the shadows, is it??? :cool: Damn, Trey's gonna make me do it too, huh? Ok, Garth, once I see how much cash I get from Uncle Sam, I will let you know. :eek:ccasion1

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, that is not the bike of the infamous "Trey" hiding in the shadows, is it??? :cool: Damn, Trey's gonna make me do it too, huh? Ok, Garth, once I see how much cash I get from Uncle Sam, I will let you know. :eek:ccasion1
lol sounds good, I got a 06 head sittin on the bench right now :thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been going .015" the kawi thin gasket is .008" thinner so total of .023" lowering of the head.... should be about 14.2:1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts