Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to raise the fork tubes up about a quarter in or so above the triple. long story and i'll explain after i get it done.

anyway, haven't done this in a long long time, so if someone here would be so kind to give me the step by step, that would be great. torque specs would be nice too if you hav'em.

quarter inch or so shouldn't affect handling much, right?

The top of my forks are currently flush (or just about) with the upper triple.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
A quarter of an inch will make a noticable difference. I hope you know what you are doing and have a steering damper.

Anyway, you need something to support the front of the bike. There is a jack point on the stock exhaust that will take a floor jack. When you have the front of the bike supported loosen the pinch bolts on the tripples and the clip-ons, not all the way, play with it a little 'til you can get the fork tubes to move. Let the jack down slowly to get the amount of fork tube above the tripple you are looking for. Make both tubes are the same and then tighten down the top tripple and clip-on to hold it. This is where it helps to have a piece of plate glass to check the fork tube alignment (3/8" plate glass 4"x10" or so). Now tighten the bottom a little. Once everything is the way it should be torque everything. Bottom tripple 22 ft/lbs, torque it a couple of times because the torque will change when you torque the other bolt. Top tripple 14.5 ft/lbs. Clip-on 18 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you say a noticeable difference...what do you mean? what should i be expecting?

yes, i have a damper.

1/4 inch or so appears to the max anyway the way it tapers the second time right under the clip ons. strange how it tapers in, and then tapers in again right under the clip ons.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do go to Jennings from time to time though. Don't want to hose myself and make it handle like crap. I'm slow enough up there as it is.

Why did you lower yours Cripsy?

Did you hollow out a portion of the fork tube for smuggling purposes :)

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I raised mine 8mm and there is a considerable difference. Its much easier to drop into a turn now.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
deputydog95 said:
when you say a noticeable difference...what do you mean? what should i be expecting?

yes, i have a damper.

1/4 inch or so appears to the max anyway the way it tapers the second time right under the clip ons. strange how it tapers in, and then tapers in again right under the clip ons.
HOW ABOUT 3-4 INCHES LOL

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
deputydog95 said:
any negatives with raising the tubes up?
Yes if you go too far. This has an effect on the overall geometry of the bike, hence the weight transfer to the front end is more therefore the potential for a front end slide or pushing/loosing it is increased...........a 1/4"=6.3mm. If you measure the 1/4" including the cap (3mm) you should be fine otherwise its a noticable change to make @ one time.

BD

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
While lowering the front will make the bike turn in quicker it will also make it more prone to head shake and tank slappers. According to someone who is much better at this than I am, it would probably be better to raise the rear to the max before you started lowering the front.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really wasn't looking for any performance benefit. I was going to beta test a new radar detector mount for someone. Requires at least a quarter inch of the fork tub exposed. Seems like most bikes already have some exposed, or at least on ducs and aprilias they do.

Do you think it's worth it, or should I just forget it? Would it be alright to raise them up right to the first taper? I have another means to mount the radar unit, but it does slightly obscure part of the tach and the shift light. This is a pretty neat mount that uses the fork tube and keeps it out of the way.

Just not sure if it's worth it. I'm not a suspension guru and I don't want to knacker things up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, like i said. i'm beta testing this mount for a company. i really can't imagine 5mm up is going to be that drastic, but you guys know better than i. i've read a bunch of posts on here about people who done 5mm and more, with good results (quicker turn in, etc). i think i'll give it a try. we're talking less than a quarter of an inch. if i absolutely hate the way the bike handles after that, i can always go back :) the guy building the mount has been a racer/tuner for many years. he seems to think that a 1/4 inch will hardly be noticeable as he has customers that raise them an inch plus. it's a very trick mount, so i'd like to take a wack at it. i spend more time going straight and fast in FL, so the radar is taking priority :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unless you are going to be like the guys in Torque and installing some dirt bike forks for jumping over trees and desert riding your 10, why would you need to raise the bike? Trying to be a drug dealer?

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
wheeliebry said:
Unless you are going to be like the guys in Torque and installing some dirt bike forks for jumping over trees and desert riding your 10, why would you need to raise the bike? Trying to be a drug dealer?
Raising the tubes actually drops the front end. :mrgreen:

While we're on the subject, can raising them too much contribute to front end chatter? I've experienced that a coupla times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts