1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
just cause it has a salvage title dont mean that it is repairable... the reason this one probably has a salvage title is that it was bought back from the insureance company after the wreck..

but to answer your above question, normaly a salvage titled bike has minor damage, but the "to repair" cost is more than a certain % of the bike value, so the insureance company pays it off and send it to sell as is or it is bought back by the perosn that wrecked it. just a short explaination...

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
oh i forgot to add... once the insure. co. pays it off, thats when the bike gets its "salvage" title status

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think in the ad, they were just referring to some of the parts that might be salvageable...not the whole bike.
I believe they give salvage titles to anything that is a total loss...even if it's WAY too far gone to actually salvage. as far as I know, it doesn't matter.

I know we also have junk titles too....I'm not sure what the difference is there.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It varies state to state for titles. Some states have only salvage titles. Some have salvage repaired. Some have junk, just depends.

That bike though, needs more parts than it has to contribute. I wouldn't try to salvage that one, maybe rob the motor for another project, but who knows if that's even good? I wouldn't take it for free - I'm no storage facility.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I think the guy who crashed that was trying to shorten the wheel base to be more competitive with 600 in the twisties

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
that looks like the bike belonging to a dead man for sure. i wouldnt mess with something like that unless your looking for parts and even then it doesnt seem to be worth that much.

as far as salvage titles go, you need to look into your states law as they differ from state to state.

·
Registered
635 Posts
This is all you need to know.......

Description: Total Loss Motorcycle.

OH and this...........

We cannot verify if the bike will start or it's mileage due to damage. This unit is located at our Georgetown, TX facility. And you said you were in Canada eh?

If you just want to blow money you can just send me some I accept paypal!!!!!

Texas is pretty strict on vehicle registration so even though the bike is probably couldn't even be used as a doorstop the state still wants the owner to pay title tranfer and registation fees. Therefore thats where the salvage title comes in!!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just got my zx-10 being picked up tomorrow from crankyape.com. Great company but if thats the zx-10 on there right now, that thing is a freaking tin can of nothingless. rofl Yea you can register and license salvage bikes here. Ill post pics of the bike tomorrow,.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I live one city away and would be more then happy to put my two cents in on that bike if you want a more detailed view from a member i will be there tomorrow. I can take a look and snap some distinguishable pics if there is anything in particular you want to see is good. Just pm me.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
check out the lack of tread on the front tire. This is a candidate for the recycle bin I doubt there is anything of use left

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live one city away and would be more then happy to put my two cents in on that bike if you want a more detailed view from a member i will be there tomorrow. I can take a look and snap some distinguishable pics if there is anything in particular you want to see is good. Just pm me.

Ah ha. U got that blue 08 that was auctioned off last week? That was a good buy, it also said "Total loss motorcycle"

90% of the motorcycles on that site say "Total Loss"

Pretty fricken confusing. And then you get a few States that give you a "State Bill of Sale" Washington. What hoops do you have to jump through to get those street legal again?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is all you need to know.......

Description: Total Loss Motorcycle.

OH and this...........

We cannot verify if the bike will start or it's mileage due to damage. This unit is located at our Georgetown, TX facility. And you said you were in Canada eh?

If you just want to blow money you can just send me some I accept paypal!!!!!

Texas is pretty strict on vehicle registration so even though the bike is probably couldn't even be used as a doorstop the state still wants the owner to pay title tranfer and registation fees. Therefore thats where the salvage title comes in!!!!

Ya right :lol: No, that one is a wreck. As Ted G said. They might have to pay me to take it.

I have a 08 ZX10 Ins Write-off. One little dent in the frame where the handle bar may dinged it, & a few scraps on the stock exhaust & fairing & its a write-off up here. Bonus. They do sell for cheap & make good track bikes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Uhm not sure what hoops in texas really, but i do know there are several places that sell salvage title bikes around here so its possible. ... yes that is the bike i got last week . Paid 4k for it its got 2500 miles on it. Only damage is right side fairing headlight and headlight bracket, and mirror.Not bad shape at all. All parts are shipping as we speak.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The salvage title law in Texas allows a totaled bike to be placed back on the road.
Many of these bikes are easily repairable but the insurer wants the liability of insuring the bike to go away and will total a unit worthy of repair. This saves them the price of another hefty claim against the same bike in the future.
When you purchase a salvage titled bike or car in Texas it is only eligible for liability insurance coverage. There's no comprehensive full coverage available for salvaged vehicles.
My son and I looked at a bunch of late model salvage bikes before I made our purchases. The problem was that they were priced just as high as one owner bikes with equal mileage.

See ya,
Kelly

·
Registered
393 Posts
That bike has a destroyed rear, the frame is toast, because of these, I would assume the engine has been tweeked and is also useless. That bike should be crushed. I would not buy it.

If you want a salvage bike, find one that some beginner bought and dropped in the process of leaving the dealer's parking lot.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
That bike has a destroyed rear, the frame is toast, because of these, I would assume the engine has been tweeked and is also useless. That bike should be crushed. I would not buy it.

If you want a salvage bike, find one that some beginner bought and dropped in the process of leaving the dealer's parking lot.
:+1:

There are plenty of cheap salvage title bikes that are merely cosmetic damage. Maybe a scuff on the swingarm and frame, but not literally ruined.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts