Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can Dunlop Qualifier dethrone Michelin Pilot Powers

I just read an ad about the new Dunlop Qualifier. I've never been a dunlop fan but the ad sounds promising. I guess we'll know more after Daytona. Here's what the ad said.

Racetrack-level performance for the street

With the all-new Qualifier, Dunlop ushers in a
whole new era of ultra-high radial sport tire
performance for serious riders. Call it the biggest
leap forward in the history of Dunlap performance
street tire.

Dunlop's new Qulaifier is designed for the street but
bears the credentials of a racing tire. By incorporating
race-derived compounds, bigger footprints, innovative
tread pattern and lightweight contruction, this amazing
tire shatters the old boundaries separating street and
track.

Take to the streets with the tire that's ready for the
track: Dunlop Qualifier.

For more info check out the website.
Qualifier Website

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
sweet!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Interesting, but I think I'll stick with Powers. If I try anything different it will likely be Diablo Corsas.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I will stick with Powers too......Power race that is.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
figures that once i've finally decided 100% on the powers, i see this....

truth be told, this would be the first time i ventured away from dunlops....but hey, i've been old tech until the 10R...

who's gonna take the leap??

·
Registered
928 Posts
and what kinda mileage will they get, hard to beat the powers for performance, damn near impossable to get the performance AND mileage they get

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have been running the diablos now for the last three or four sets, but I am going to try the powers on my next set. The only thing that concerns me is the front cupping issue that alot of the people around here have been having with them on the fronts.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
latdrop said:
figures that once i've finally decided 100% on the powers, i see this....

truth be told, this would be the first time i ventured away from dunlops....but hey, i've been old tech until the 10R...

who's gonna take the leap??
Me

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
sneaky said:
I have been running the diablos now for the last three or four sets, but I am going to try the powers on my next set. The only thing that concerns me is the front cupping issue that alot of the people around here have been having with them on the fronts.
Sneaky the Powers don't cup. The Dunflop's are what everyone is referring to when they say "cup."

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
NATOR said:
Sneaky the Powers don't cup. The Dunflop's are what everyone is referring to when they say "cup."
:+1: The Dunslops cupped on Diablo in a few hundred miles. I didn't keep them on Loca this time long enough to cup. Never had any of the Powers I've ran on bikes cup.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Guess I'm different from the majority but haven't had issues with Dunlops, not saying their the greatest but not the worst IMO.

Two Wheeled Tuesday had a segment on the Qualifer and all the riders to include Jason Pridmore had nothing but good things to say about the tires; have to take it with a grain of salt though he does race on Dunlops.

Food for thought Road Racing World did a tire review a few issues ago and bottom line was none of the tires tested were really bad or crap. Think about this the SportTech was the shit when it came out and during the RRW tire comparo finished towards the bottom.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
ZX10BURNER said:
Guess I'm different from the majority but haven't had issues with Dunlops, not saying their the greatest but not the worst IMO.

Two Wheeled Tuesday had a segment on the Qualifer and all the riders to include Jason Pridmore had nothing but good things to say about the tires; have to take it with a grain of salt though he does race on Dunlops.

Food for thought Road Racing World did a tire review a few issues ago and bottom line was none of the tires tested were really bad or crap. Think about this the SportTech was the shit when it came out and during the RRW tire comparo finished towards the bottom.
pridmore and the rest of the guys out there run dunlops. i didnt expect them to say anything bad about them.

i talked with my sales rep. this morning and have a couple sets on backorder. once they come in im going to put a set on the bike and flog the piss out of em.

im not big on dunlop either but i will give them a try. ill report back towards the beginning of the year.

·
Registered
349 Posts
the 208gp and the old 207rr were amazing tires.

I Loved the powers but they are made in frace and owned by the french

Diablo corsas will never touch my bike again....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Lexusrx,

Put me down for a set, would like to try them once they come available.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I loved the D207's. They seemed to be decent wearing, had good feedback, and sticky.

On the other hand these D218's were slow to warm up, made the front end feel vague, and wore very quickly. It took me forever to get to the edge of the tire because it just didn't instil confidence. After a few front end slides, and near highsides, I threw them out and replaced them with the Pilot Powers.

A night and day difference. The new Powers transformed the 10R from wiggly handler, to a corner scalpel. I could run the bike beyond the edge of the tires with ease. Including the front tire, which is a first for me on the street. I usually leave lotsa reserve on the street, but these Pilots feel like they're hardwired into the clip ons. They also seem to wear very well, and can handle some abuse too.

When these wear out, I might try the Qualifiers, although the name sends chills up and down my spine. Why? Any car guys out there remember the Dunlop GT Qualifiers?

For those with PP Race tires, how do you like them? If you use them on the street, do they warm up quickly? I'd like to try them out, but I am wary of tire life, and grip level at slower speeds.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I should have a set of them by the end of the month. Tobad it will be snowing here by there. Man I like working for a bike shop.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts