Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 ZX10R ABS and want to put a light weight battery in my bike. I'm thinking Lithium. Has anyone installed one you can recommend? I also have an alarm and LED lights. The LED lights draw very very little so I'm not worried about them but I have to have a battery that can handle the drain from the alarm.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been on a search as well, just haven't decided. Right now the Ballistic Performance Evo3 lightweight Li-Ion battery is top of my list from the positives I read on it (reviews) and its weight comparisons to the competition weighing in at 1.8lbs and OEM fitment.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a three year old Shorai that works very well....However...

My bike is dead when I shut the key off. No current draw.

These batteries are awesome. I dont suspect there is much difference in any of them.

What they say you cant do is ever let them run completely flat. That could be a problem, in your situation if you parked your bike, and left it for.....

And thats the issue.

Not sure how long you could go with that alarm drawing juice from the battery before it ran so low it became a problem.

If you were to get the battery, and the companies charger, that should work well. The alarm can do its thing, and drain the battery, but as soon as it runs low enough, the charger kicks in and tops up the battery.

I chose the shorai for two reasons. One, it comes in a nice, heavy duty , plastic box. Its easy to mount in a battery box.

Two, there was not as many to choose from, back then.

The shorai brand has an optional charger that would work well for what you are doing. Also, it hooks up and balances the individual cells of the pack.

I imagine they all have this feature, but back then, it was harder to find.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shorai seems like a good company.

I would install a quick connect battery tender for the battery and connect it only if I didn't ride it for 4 days or more. That should take care of the drain issue. I know I have to get a special charger too for battery specific type.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Ive had a Anti-Gravity in my 636 for about 4 years now and its been a great little battery. I hate to say it but i never put it on a charger - i really need to get one soon! But even still, it starts up every time even after sitting for 6-7 months in winter. Plan on getting one for the 10R soon.

·
Registered
849 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
ABS bikes need different batteries than non abs bikes... take that into account.

never had a lightweight battery, since I get batteries for 50usd.

but never heard a bad thing about the shorai.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,063 Posts
I have a Shorai. Bought it a while back from Mike at Riders Discount. Bought the Battery Tender Jr for lithium batteries along with it. Been great. Zero issues and super light.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ABS bikes need different batteries than non abs bikes... take that into account.
Hmm didnt think about that. I just deleted the abs system vut had yo leave in the abs module so it didnt put the bike into limp mode. Wonder if since its not actually doing anything, if i can pit a battery in gor non abs. Dont know if there is any weight difference between the two

·
Registered
94 Posts
8 year old Shorai in the 1KRR with not maintenance and still going strong. Have another for my Gen 4 ZX10R ABS. Now days sizes match the OEM but not the weight.

·
Registered
22 Posts

never had a lightweight battery, since I get batteries for 50usd.

but never heard a bad thing about the shorai.
Actually, per the manual, they take the same battery. Where did you read there is a different battery?

·
Registered
578 Posts
abs battery in the gen 4 has the poles reversed from the non abs and a different size and cca spec). not sure on the gen5 bikes.

I was going to buy a lith ion battery for my gen4 non abs bike, in the abs version from ballistic (I have multiple ballistics in bikes), wanting the extra cca's from the abs version.

when you look at the terminal configuration for both batteries, case size ect... they are different.

Ski

Reactions: R/T Performance

·
Registered
22 Posts
abs battery in the gen 4 has the poles reversed from the non abs and a different size and cca spec). not sure on the gen5 bikes.

I was going to buy a lith ion battery for my gen4 non abs bike, in the abs version from ballistic (I have multiple ballistics in bikes), wanting the extra cca's from the abs version.

when you look at the terminal configuration for both batteries, case size ect... they are different.

Ski
Just looking at the part numbers as well as specs on the Gen 5 (Per the bench manual) they run the same exact battery. Same CCA, same size, same part number.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ballastic I have one in my zx10 that's 4 or 5 years old great battery's I balance mine once a year. I now have them in 4 of my wifes and my bikes

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Bought a Shorai from Mike. Its pretty good. Lighter than stock. Strong when kicking the bike over to start. Good price

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a Shorai in my Blackbird and it was still going when I traded the bike in. About 6 years. I didn't look after it too well so I did let it get a bit low at one point, but bought it back to life. It lost a fair bit of capacity but still did the job.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts