Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a call from my mechanic today.

A bit of background.

I wrecked my bike and brushed into another bike.

The other bikes foot peg hit my rotor cover, it tore the cover and it broke the rotor.

My mechanic says that the gear behind the rotor broke as well.

He says he recovered 7 teeth but 21 are missing still.

He wants to pull the pan to see if any ended up inside the motor.

I do not have the bike here and he is far away so I cant get right out to see it soon.

How could that be possible. It is my thoughts that the rotor is sealed from the inside of the motor. There is no way IMO that the teeth could have gotten into the motor.

I know a few of you guys have taken apart their motors already.

So what is the deal?? Is it possible that the teeth got into the motor??

Please help!! Thanks ya'll!!!

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I can't help, and I'm an ignoramoose, so if youre not talking about the brake rotor, what is it then, if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The timing rotor isn't sealed off from the rest of the motor. I haven't had the 10R motor apart, but I'm pretty sure the timing chain is right behind the timing rotor. The oil from the head drains down this channel and into the sump. Also, there is a crank main bearing behind the rotor, and its got its oil supply to drain as well.

Since the motor was spinning when the footpeg entered, I'd assume that it sheared off all the teeth right quick like your mechanic is suggesting.

Of course, if you're talking about a brake rotor, forget anything I said!

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
anything's possible

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10rmotor said:
The timing rotor isn't sealed off from the rest of the motor. I haven't had the 10R motor apart, but I'm pretty sure the timing chain is right behind the timing rotor. The oil from the head drains down this channel and into the sump. Also, there is a crank main bearing behind the rotor, and its got its oil supply to drain as well.

Since the motor was spinning when the footpeg entered, I'd assume that it sheared off all the teeth right quick like your mechanic is suggesting.

Of course, if you're talking about a brake rotor, forget anything I said!
of course I mean the timing rotor.

yes he says the teeth sheared off and are are missing.

He says he thinks they drained into the motor.

Damn this is turning out worse than I thought!

If I have the pan pulled off do you think I will be able to recover all the missing metal?

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
crispin said:
If I have the pan pulled off do you think I will be able to recover all the missing metal?
I certainly hope so. Please say you haven't run the motor since???

·
Registered
536 Posts
Harry always manages to say the funniest things with the fewest words.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would think that you could drop the pan and find most if not all the teeth. The oil pickup screen should have kept the major bits out. The acid test would be to remove the oil pump rotors and see if any trash went through them. If any did, you're looking at a complete teardown to be safe. I think you can get the oil pump rotors out from the clutch pack area without a total disassembly but not sure.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that sucks ass.

This accident is proving to be quite expensive.

Mykel, the bike wont start as the timing rotor is in many peices.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
crispin...you never answer my question....how close was the bike to be totalled?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MAVRIK said:
crispin...you never answer my question....how close was the bike to be totalled?
not that close at all

Here is a list of the damage

Slightly bent Subframe
Scratched / broken panels - most of them
Dented GasTank
Broken Giles Rearsets - both sides
Broken rotor cover, rotor, rotor teeth
Broken clutch lever
Bar ends

Here is what did not get hurt

main frame - I hope
Windshield
Exhaust
Headlights
taillight
wheels
Forks
ect...

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
you going to bring the frame in to see if it has been tweaked? would suck to fix everything and find that the main frame is bent. Wow...i'm sure to fix everything will be around 5k...ouch....hope you have insurance..

·
Registered
226 Posts
if theres oil in the rotor area that would mean that the engine would have to be flushed out. Any dirt in the motor is bad ,i would remove the pan first then flush the engine several times to be sure.(but that,s just me,22years of mechanics)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just came back from the shop (2 more tickets along the way, FHP had a real hard-on for me).

There is a gear right behind the rotor. Has about 30 small teeth on it.

About 23 teeth sheared right off. Only 2 were in the area. The other 21 went down the drain hole into the motor and hopefully are sitting in the pan.

Tommorow they are going to flush the motor without dropping the pan and see how many come out.

Best case is they all come right out the drain hole. But since I am putting on a new lower and new full exhaust the labor to remove the pan is almost nothing.

If we can get them all back then things are good.

If a few are missing, well I'll deal with that then.

This sucks!

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Ya, It fugging sucks!! Good luck!! Even if all teeth came out, It'd always be paranoid. Stories like yours are why I keep full coverage. Never know what damage is hidden.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I hate to say it but I'll bet its a total as I doubt you're gonna get the missing teeth out when flushing the motor. Adding the costs of a rebuild to your list are gonna be expensive, and will probably put you close to 80% loss, which is I think the decision point for insurance.

I've got a stock header thats in great shape, with valve actuator if you want it to save some bucks.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a stock header thats in great shape, with valve actuator if you want it to save some bucks.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer but...

I gotta full Akra Evo 2 exhaust in a box :)

And I have no insurance, I pay all cash.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts