Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,I think I mighta got ripped and bought a bent rim. BUT,its been balanced.I didnt think it was possible to balance a bent rim? :dontknow: Im 90% sure my axle is straight but Im not ruling that out..

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
you cant balance an egg, thats for sure. once a rim is bent, balancng will have very minor effect. i work in a tire shop, and once a wheel is bent, it will continue to have a negative effect on the ride and handling. and while i dont specialize on bike rims, i cant imagine they are different in this respect. bd posted a link to a reputable place that can straighten rims so hopefully he'll check this out.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I wasnt more specific in my question.Im not asking can a bent rim be balanced to the point of fixing it,Im more asking is it possible for it to be bent and still get balanced without the bend being noticed.I took the rim to your average joe schmo stealership to get it balanced and they said "it was out a lil bit but not too bad"

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ninja2k5 said:
cant you return the bent rim?
Welll would if I could (maybe still can). I bought it from a forum member(dont remember the name,I dont think he posts up much anymore) some time ago and have no idea how to get in touch with him

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Have it straightened. Got my 954 wheel straightened for less than $100. Dr. Johns Motorcycle Frame Straightening. Looked brand new when finished.

Oh. And you would be surprised by what the automatic balancing machines will pass off as balanced. :rolleyes: I always rebalance my wheels myself after having them mounted and "balanced" at the shop. Usually at least a 1/4-ounce off.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.How long did it take them to do it?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Less than a week. I was able to drop it off on Saturday and pick it up the next Saturday. But since you're in MS, you'll have to factor in shipping. Probably still worth it, tho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts