Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys could we install an inlet camshaft from a zx10 04 to the exhuast side of a zx10 08???

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
IF the exhaust cam of the 08 is like the 04, you should weld the cam sensor piece into it. Which needs to be a very precise job...

·
Registered
438 Posts
IF the exhaust cam of the 08 is like the 04, you should weld the cam sensor piece into it. Which needs to be a very precise job...
Hey Tasos you can send him a p.m in Greek if you'd like :lol:
we're taking over soon.... :lol::cool:

·
Registered
427 Posts
04 inlet cam.

You can put an 04 intake cam on the exhaust side of an 08. You need to put a trigger on the intake cam to trigger the cam sensor. It has to be done very precisely. A machinist friend of mine has a fixture for doing this and is doing 4 cams right now to offer for exchange. Mike.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You can put an 04 intake cam on the exhaust side of an 08. You need to put a trigger on the intake cam to trigger the cam sensor. It has to be done very precisely. A machinist friend of mine has a fixture for doing this and is doing 4 cams right now to offer for exchange. Mike.

Thanks Mike :thumbsup: Are there any piston to valve clearance issues after doing this?

I'm thinking of doing a cam swap without pulling the head off,just swap the cams and adjust the valve clearance...

The 04 stock exhaust cam is the same both in duration and lift with the kit exhaust cam for the 08...Wouldn't that be a better swap?

Nikolas

Thanks Tasos,I wasn't aware of that I thought it was on the intake like the Suzukis :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The 04 stock exhaust cam is the same both in duration and lift with the kit exhaust cam for the 08...Wouldn't that be a better swap?
Anytime :thumbsup:

The stock 04-06 exhaust cam is the same as the 08 race exhaust cam, and way cheaper :wink:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You shouldn't have PTV issues even with the thin head gasket. Measure it just in case.
Go for 110In/102Ex and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Anytime :thumbsup:

The stock 04-06 exhaust cam is the same as the 08 race exhaust cam, and way cheaper :wink:

Yes that's what I thought... :mrgreen: Theatiss has a stock 04 inlet cam,maybe I'll take it and get another 04 exhaust cam and do a 04--> to 08 cam swap...

:thumbsup: :hello:

I've got access on a dyno so if this happens I'll let you know how that works...

·
Registered
427 Posts
04 intake cam.

You would want to check PTV clearance, but you should be ok depending on where you degree your cams in at. The 04 intake cam is the same size as the web big exhaust cam so it is a cheaper way to run that cam. I also think it is the same size as the factory exhaust cam on the 2011 10R. Mike.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You would want to check PTV clearance, but you should be ok depending on where you degree your cams in at. The 04 intake cam is the same size as the web big exhaust cam so it is a cheaper way to run that cam. I also think it is the same size as the factory exhaust cam on the 2011 10R. Mike.

Mike thanks for the info... Based on what was said earlier,I think I might try a direct swap from the 04 to the 08,and see how that works first...

I'm very concerned about PtV clearance because this is going to be my road bike and I can't afford to have anny issues with that... It has to be reliable and ready to go everyday... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
ex cam on intake

i have some experience with this swap on my son's modded zx12, and the cams are almost identical to the ten. ran two intakes degreed at 105 each on a 13.5 1257 kit. bike made 184 up top on pump, my buddies 170 zx12 would kill me in a roll on bad, third gear on. both bikes tuned on same dyno. we lost a lot of midrange, street power, and we had compression u wont have. the swap ur considering will make top end, but your streetability will suffer. u need the thin hg along with this mod and ptv on ex. will get tight with the hg and int. on ex. at 102. this is not a simple cam swap as pickup must be exact and cam can warp from welding. wouldnt recommend this mod on a stk. compression, normally aspirated street bike, best combination, easiest, and safest, thin hg and race int. for what u want to do. good luck.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Just to clear it up, i was talking 110/102 on the 08 with 08 KHI race cams as the manual says, not on the 04... It has been tried by someone here (NinjeR?) who also tried other numbers and found this to work the best for everyday riding.

The 04 race intake cam has more duration than the 08 (310-296, same lift 9.7), it should work. As said 04-07 engines like high cam numbers but the midrange suffers, tried it myself...Depends on what you want to do. Of course always check PTV.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
ex. cam

agreed tasos. the race manual info is based on kit 14.2 kit pistons and deeper valve pockets in conjunction with the kit cams and recommended lobe centers. top end gain is marginal, midrange loss substancial with int. on ex. with otherwise stk. setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts