Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; Mike here. I have an 04 with the 08 race intake cam installed. I am getting some head work done, and was thinking about moving the original 04 intake cam to the exhaust side for the additional lift, and duration. I was wondering if this is worth bothering to do? Has anybody done this and seen a gain? I know that several people have done it. Does anybody have any pics of how they modified the intake cam to signal the cam sensor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Hello; Mike here. I have an 04 with the 08 race intake cam installed. I am getting some head work done, and was thinking about moving the original 04 intake cam to the exhaust side for the additional lift, and duration. I was wondering if this is worth bothering to do? Has anybody done this and seen a gain? I know that several people have done it. Does anybody have any pics of how they modified the intake cam to signal the cam sensor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike.
I have done it, I saw about half a horsepower gain in the midrange and that was about it, the cams are made out of very strong metal so you better have a press and a box of drill bits to drill the hole in it.

I couldn't;t suggest running it, not worth the effort in my opinion. just my :2cents:

·
Registered
772 Posts
i did it and it works great...however i wouldnt drill the cam wich there is no reason to.a "collar"of sorts needs to be welded on to it...and yes its heat treated so its a bitch.a very good machinist can do do this for you....and the amount of hp you gain depends on your overall package.im gona have mine tuned by Walter Sprout next week...ill post results

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
camshaft swap.

Thanks for the reply's. Please keep me updated with your dyno numbers. I also know Walter Sprout. Did you take any pics of how the cam was modified? I think this could be a good mod for a lot of people since they allready have the kawasaki race intake cam, which means they can take their stock intake cam and move it to the exhaust side. I was thinking of a small piece that would clamp on to the cam, but it could certainly be welded. Mike.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks for the reply's. Please keep me updated with your dyno numbers. I also know Walter Sprout. Did you take any pics of how the cam was modified? I think this could be a good mod for a lot of people since they allready have the kawasaki race intake cam, which means they can take their stock intake cam and move it to the exhaust side. I was thinking of a small piece that would clamp on to the cam, but it could certainly be welded. Mike.
no pics,i wish i would have cause he did such a good job.the cams will need to be indexed to get this right i took him the exh and in to get this right...if your a cunt hair off it wont run...the timing will be too early or too late.the welding will def warp the cam also but my guy spent more time gettin mine back straight then he did the whole job

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
camshaft swap.

Did the piece that was welded on to the cam exactly like the original Bump? Does it have to have the same sharp squared of edge? What did the guy charge you to do the cam mod? I would definately like to do this when I install my head. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Did the piece that was welded on to the cam exactly like the original Bump? Does it have to have the same sharp squared of edge? What did the guy charge you to do the cam mod? I would definately like to do this when I install my head. Thanks. Mike.

yeah he made it look just like the factory one,im guessing it has to look the same or the bastard wont run right.i only wanted to fug with it once so i told his ass to get it right the first time lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
camshaft swap.

ZX - SIK - R Thanks very much for the reply. I will try to do the same thing as I really want to do this swap. I think it should be worth some HP. Thanks again. Mike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts