Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I own a ZX10R, it is by far the best bike I've had, I've done nearly 45000 miles on it, I wonder when it is time to have the camchain renewed, I think I can hear it, when idling the engine....
Does anyone have experience? Where can this be done savely, can I do it myself?
If a member from the Netherlands knows a good address, please tell me!
I use it mostly in Germany, mostly at high speeds, that is 130 mph+ (10000 revs and over).I only do big trips, 200 miles and more.

thanks for any help!
Tom.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The chain is fine, but the tensioner is bad. This is very common all you need is a manual tensioner (like APE). Search for "tensioner" threads and you will find all the info you will need. If you have questions feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorry I didn't see you said 45,000 miles- If you think your chain is so stretched from miles alone, the process is pretty involved to replace it. My friend had a 636 that did need a new chain (even with manual tensioner) at 56,000 so its possible you may be close.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
you have to split the crank case to replace the chain so its kind of a pain in the @$$
That's not what the Manual says to replace the chain...it's the same as almost doing a valve adjustment but also removing the chain guides, timing Rotor and sprocket....not sure what your talking about here I guess. :dontknow:

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Also...with a Manual Cam Chain adjuster like APE wouldn't that prolong the cam chain removal? that adjustment bolt goes forever so unless one of the guides or other internals gets in the way it seems you could adjust manually for a looong time but may have to do it frequently like a drive chain stretching but not as fast/frequent.

bloo

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also...with a Manual Cam Chain adjuster like APE wouldn't that prolong the cam chain removal? that adjustment bolt goes forever so unless one of the guides or other internals gets in the way it seems you could adjust manually for a looong time but may have to do it frequently like a drive chain stretching but not as fast/frequent.

bloo
Yes I agree- while the automatic tensioner spring will become too weak as it reaches its limit, the manual tensioner can keep going until the chain touches itself on the other side.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Just reading out of the service manual :dontknow:
I was reading out of an 04/05 ZX10R manaul....didn't think that was different. :dontknow:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
yea I just figured it was the same. wonder why its different?

good question....Garth...were are you we need answers. :thumbsup::lol:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You will have to change the chain. The tensioner not so much if it works it should be ok.
Mind that with the manual tensioner you have to check it frequently not to get loose.

From 06 onwards you have to split the cases. This is the same for the z1000 from 03' up.
They put this metal shield engraved to the crankcase. Alot of people are braking them and change the chain without splitting the cases. If it goes hell will brake loose anyways...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi there

I have ordered an APE cct, just to see if it cures the noise.
Should the noise come back soon, I will have to have the camchain replaced.
Does anyone have any experience with kawasaki dealers, what the costs will be, if done together with the servicing of the bike, the 72000 km service, that is including adjustment of the valves.
For the normal 48000 km service I was charged over 500 euro (in Germany) where I bought the bike, with no special parts having to be replaced, is that about the amount that is normal?
Please share your experience....

thanks, Tom.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I think you must have done a valve adjustment for the amount to be so high.
It can reach that high with labour over Germany i think. (oil-filters-sparks etc)

Since you are opening the head cover, maybe is still a good idea to change the chain.
It will go for another 72000 kms without issues. Just sayin...

·
Registered
59 Posts
From 06 onwards you have to split the cases. This is the same for the z1000 from 03' up.
They put this metal shield engraved to the crankcase. Alot of people are braking them and change the chain without splitting the cases. If it goes hell will brake loose anyways...
Tasos,

Do you or anyone else have any details on how to change the chain without splitting the cases on an '06+ ZX10? Is breaking the metal shield something that can be done fairly easily and without much risk of damaging anything? I'm comfortable with working on the bike up to and including pulling the head but want to avoid the additional hassle of dropping the motor and splitting the cases for a maintenance item. That said, my '06 has just over 40K miles on it so I don't want to wait much longer to replace the cam chain.

Thanks,
Damon

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I didn't do it.
If you see the manual it's the same material as the crankcase , if it goes wrong...It has some strength i believe to hold the chain. The labor involved to split the cases is big, it sucks they chose this design. Maybe others have more info on this :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts