Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my '11 ZX-10R engine back together after getting the head decked (0.012"), a valve job, as well as a 0.50mm kit head gasket. I decided to measure the cam timing with the stock sprocket holes first to see if I was close enough to not have to bother with the elongated holes. Stock cams BTW.

Here is what I have: 113.5/103.75

Kawasaki recommended numbers: 112/104

Piston to valve clearance is fine.

Think that's ok to go with? At this point, taking the sprockets off to put them on the elongated holes is a PITA, and then I can't fit a wrench in there to adjust them with the engine in the bike, so I'd either had to pull the cams each time to adjust or drop the motor.

So, the question is, live with 113.5/103.75 instead of 112/104, or spend hours adjusting to 112/104 exactly? The exhaust cam is obviously close enough, but the intake is 1.5 degrees off...and I don't know enough about cam timing to know if that will have a profound negative effect on power or not.

Thoughts? What is the effect on the power curve with the intake cam timed 1.5 degree higher?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I doubt if you would ever notice the difference.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
compression increase from hg/deck are good hp mods and increased cyl. pressure will support the int. cam # u have. road race bike? rev limit? i would bump the ex. cam up 3-4 degrees.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
compression increase from hg/deck are good hp mods and increased cyl. pressure will support the int. cam # u have. road race bike? rev limit? i would bump the ex. cam up 3-4 degrees.
Yep, dedicated road race bike, rev limit raised +500 rpm with the race ECU. I think I will bump up the exhaust cam. You're the second person to recommend that to me now. The good news is that I can get to the exhaust cam sprocket so I can adjust that one with the engine & cams in the bike. The exhaust valve was JUST at the limit for clearance, so a little extra wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the advice.

So, going to set at 113.5/107, leaving the intake alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts