Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys:hello: , wanting to know if I should run the Kawi race cam and .45 gasket? I have an 06 as10r. What should I do? :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Go For It

Looks like that would be your next step. Always check piston to valve clearance when doing this mod. Take to reputable engine builder if you think it is to much to handle on your own. Good Luck.

Dave

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
SDave2002 said:
Looks like that would be your next step. Always check piston to valve clearance when doing this mod. Take to reputable engine builder if you think it is to much to handle on your own. Good Luck.

Dave
:+1:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Im not going to touch the thing! I just wanted to know if anybod has done this with an 06 zx10 and what was their results on the dyno and if they like it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not Much

Rough estimate maybe 5 to 10 hp if you play with cam timing. Order the exhaust cam with springs while your at it. Then you will be all warm and tingly inside! :heyyou: :heyyou: :heyyou:

Dave

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Intake Cam#49118-0034
Head gasket 45 mm part #1004-0023

Good luck finding the cam right now. Last I heard it wasn't available through Kaw. Get with the forum sponsors and see what they can do for you if your local Kaw dealer can't find one. Or maybe a member here has one for sale. The cam should be under a hundred.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have both, just not to sure if I wantto spend the money on something that is not worth doing. My buddy has a 04 zx10r and he was not happy with cam, he told me to just degree the stock cam. I dont know what I should do.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
SDave2002 said:
Rough estimate maybe 5 to 10 hp if you play with cam timing. Order the exhaust cam with springs while your at it. Then you will be all warm and tingly inside! :heyyou: :heyyou: :heyyou:

Dave
the exhaust cam is smaller and springs are softer.. do not even waste your money.. youll lose HP.. the race team must have some type of setup that works with that cam but on a street bike its junk..

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
06BLK10 said:
I already have both, just not to sure if I wantto spend the money on something that is not worth doing. My buddy has a 04 zx10r and he was not happy with cam, he told me to just degree the stock cam. I dont know what I should do.
your buddies bike must have horrible cam timing/tuning cause the cam picked my bike up alot..

btw if you decide against doing please pm me ill buy the cam for 100.00 which is def. more than you paid.. thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Question: What do you do with the bike?

Related question: When you are doing whatever you normally do, what range are you using on the tachometer?

As a rule, camshafts with longer duration (e.g. the race-kit intake cam) will make more power at the top of the rev range (provided that the rest of the engine can supply and deal with what the cam is asking for) but it will come at a cost of bottom-end and possibly mid-range torque.

If you spend most of the time above (say) 8000 rpm - roadracing, drag racing, etc. - then the kit intake camshaft may be worthwhile. If you spend most of the time below that - normal street riding, tighter twisty roads, etc. - then the stock camshaft will give better torque in the rev range that you are actually using.

I cannot see any use for the kit exhaust camshaft, which has less duration than stock. Maybe somehow with some unknown combination of other parts it works, but as a drop-in I can't see it.

For street riding ... torque rules. I'm leaving mine alone.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I'd stick with the race intake and stock exhauist with the thinner head gasket, that is your best bet. STAY away from the exhaust cam!!!!! I did a post a few days ago with before and after dyno sheets and the exhaust cam hurt my engine performance by 5-7 across the board. that was with 107.5/103 cam timing, unless you can find out what they use in race bikes junk that idea.

good luck man

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Changing camshafts or putting the thin head gasket won't affect the function of the catalyst in any way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts