Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a 2007 Zx-10 with 40k miles. I took my bike in last week for the full service and valve adjustment. My mechanic called me and said that the cams are completely messed up and need to be replaced. He states that its a Manufacturing Defect. He informed me of this additional Unlimited mile warranty from kawasaki offers for parts like the cams. My question to you guys is does this Unlimited mile warranty exist? My limited warranty ended about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Be careful. Before you authorize your shop to do a tear down call (949) 460-5687. It is Kawasaki technical support. Talk to them about your situation. Specifics would be key like what exactly is messed up with the cams like are they pitted or belong spec ect.... I'm not saying your dealer is liked this but I've heard of dealers telling customers oh yeah its covered even though you are out of warranty, then turn around and say Kawi wouldn't cover it so you are going to have to pay for it. Kawi has become pretty difficult when it comes to warranty issues lately.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Be careful. Before you authorize your shop to do a tear down call (949) 460-5687. It is Kawasaki technical support. Talk to them about your situation. Specifics would be key like what exactly is messed up with the cams like are they pitted or belong spec ect.... I'm not saying your dealer is liked this but I've heard of dealers telling customers oh yeah its covered even though you are out of warranty, then turn around and say Kawi wouldn't cover it so you are going to have to pay for it. Kawi has become pretty difficult when it comes to warranty issues lately.
Gave a call to the technical support and they informed me that the warranty period was over 2 years ago just as I suspected. They also informed me that their is going to be no assistance offered. I went to check the bike out today, and the cam is indeed pitted. My shop said they have to replace the buckets, shims and of course the cams. I didn't a picture but i found this one on the internet that looks very similar to it. Do you have any idea on what all needs to be replaced?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
First get your bike out of that shop. Obviously the guy was trying to get a one up on you. Its kinda hard to say what needs to be replaced. If your cams are identical to the cams in the picture it looks like discoloration not a pitting issue. Very rare to see cams pitted unless the bike has sat alot. Sounds to me like the bike has a normal discoloration with time and use. As far as what needs to be replaced hard to say. How mechanically inclined are you? If you are and have a descent hand tool set go home and take the valve cover off and take a high quality picture of the lobes in question and post it. I'm in the Bay Area California if you need someone to look at it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First get your bike out of that shop. Obviously the guy was trying to get a one up on you. Its kinda hard to say what needs to be replaced. If your cams are identical to the cams in the picture it looks like discoloration not a pitting issue. Very rare to see cams pitted unless the bike has sat alot. Sounds to me like the bike has a normal discoloration with time and use. As far as what needs to be replaced hard to say. How mechanically inclined are you? If you are and have a descent hand tool set go home and take the valve cover off and take a high quality picture of the lobes in question and post it. I'm in the Bay Area California if you need someone to look at it.
Yea Im not that mechanically inclined, but I pick up pretty quick. Well instead of the lobes having the Egg shape , they have more of a "D" shape to one of them. The bike has been my Daily driver since 2007 when I bought it brand new. Do you think I will be able to drive it with it being like that? I didn't notice any discoloration. The mechanic just told me about all the stuff that needs to be done and all that blah blah!!!! I'm gonna try to pick it up tonight. I'm down here in los Angeles, Thanks a lot for your help... Glad this forum exist

·
Registered
70 Posts
well if the lobe is worn down like u say it is then ur shim was too tight. best to buy new cam and have both cams re-shimmed. not a hard process but best to watch some one first before trying it on your own. Since the dealer is in there anyway best to see how much they will charge. if u have a friend that know how to do it then i would say do it ur selves.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well if the lobe is worn down like u say it is then ur shim was too tight. best to buy new cam and have both cams re-shimmed. not a hard process but best to watch some one first before trying it on your own. Since the dealer is in there anyway best to see how much they will charge. if u have a friend that know how to do it then i would say do it ur selves.
Do they stock cams for the 04/05 work On the 06/07? I Can't find the stock cams for my year. They Quoted me $500 for it. At is current wear, do you think it can still be driven? I found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310231133556&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1148wt_941

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yes a 04-05 cam will work. The lift and duration changed slightly through the years but they all will drop in and work.

I also have a 05 stock cam that has less then 1k miles on it I will sell for $75 shipped if you want it. I might be able to dig up some buckets also.

If the cam has a flat spot i would not use it. You should only haft to replace the cam buckets that were worn not all of them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes a 04-05 cam will work. The lift and duration changed slightly through the years but they all will drop in and work.

I also have a 05 stock cam that has less then 1k miles on it I will sell for $75 shipped if you want it. I might be able to dig up some buckets also.

If the cam has a flat spot i would not use it. You should only haft to replace the cam buckets that were worn not all of them.
That is a amazing price, I just left the shop now, i need both cams, after further examination, I have one below spec lobe, the rest are either untouched or slightly lowered

1 - 12 of 12 Posts