Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am building my 04 636 up for a little more top end at the track. The kit cams for the 04 are acording to kawi the stockers in the 05 636. My brother owns an 05 so I talked him into swapping with me since he's not a hard rider. when I pulled the out to compare I was suprised that what I thought was the hotter cam was the 04 cam by looks. both seem to have the same lift but the 04 cam (on left) seems to have a little more egg shape and the lobe tip seems to be more blunt which I would ASSume would be more duration. there's hardly any difference so I'm wondering if there's a difference at all. maybe an obsticle illusion or do yall see something I don't. Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable on the subject can shed some light. also anyone have a part number for the Kwai thin headgasket for the 06
http://bodyworkpics.shutterfly.com/27

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
fact the 2005/06 cams were the KIT items for the 03/04 bikes...you will gain about 2-3rwhp on top and more pull from 12,000 up till redline 14,700rpm.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess my question is that how can it give any gains if there's virtually no difference in the lobes? with my logic the 04 lobes look to be more agressive. I'm more or less trying to learn the specifics of what is diferent that I'm not deeing between the two and how it afects the power. I thought more duration which is the only diference I see at the tip of the lobe would give more top end. Am I wrong. like I said I'm more trying to learn than go through the 04 kit cam delima thats been discussed before. Thanks

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
762 Posts
More lift and duration does not always translate into more engine power if the rest of components are left intact (throttle bodies, cylinder head, compression, exhaust, etc..)
In fact could be the opposite.
That's why many of these engines react good to high speed porting (reduced CFM). Because in fact many are a little overcamed for the setup.

More duration means less dynamic compression and shorter power stroke.

You know.. the easy part of the game would be just order a taller lift/longer duration cam, and this DOES NOT mean the engine, as is, would increase its power.

Nevertheless, the only way to compare 2 similar cams is to plot them in a cam plotter, and know its profile, not only the lift and duration.
For eg, how many degrees does it take to open to .05"

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds logical and what I've always thought but after seeing this I second guessed my theory, but after thinking further about it it apears that the lobbes are the same but the cams are clocked a few degrese diferent so basicaly its a bolt in way of degreeing your cams.In fact on my mojave I actualy shrunk the port diameter and i'm impressed with the results afterword.Thanks for your answer thats what I was looking for. I am a master certified auto mechanic and have built many race motors but like most "engine builders" cams have always been a order the right one and plug it in with no more real thought since the company who built it put the thought into it, so i want to learn the dynamics of how they work.Thanks again

·
Registered
131 Posts
Technical Reading

Read this technical paper and you will understand a lot more about cams, it's easy to read and understand, I promise you will be able to start talking like a pro and really stop a few BS artists with a well phrased question or response.

What you need to do is degree them both and study the cam profile, small differences in a cam and small changes in the cam timing can dramatically change the bike's performance.

http://www.elgincams.com/campaper.html

The dial indicator is not in this picture but the piston stop is sticking out of the spark plug hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts