Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this for the guys who have been there and done that.where would the best place be to put the degree wheel on this beast? on the crank bolt cam chain side or starter clutch side??
Also, I'm having problems rotating the engine smoothly, where is the best location to manually roll the engine and would it help to remove clutch and or starter gear ( this engine is tight ) and of course the plugs are removed but damn this thing is tough to do possitive stop smoothly, HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
OK, this for the guys who have been there and done that.where would the best place be to put the degree wheel on this beast? on the crank bolt cam chain side or starter clutch side??
Also, I'm having problems rotating the engine smoothly, where is the best location to manually roll the engine and would it help to remove clutch and or starter gear ( this engine is tight ) and of course the plugs are removed but damn this thing is tough to do possitive stop smoothly, HELP!!!!!
I put my wheel on the clutch side, if you get a long like 80mm bolt and space it out with washers it will clear the clutch cover. I turn it from the starter clutch side.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
363 Posts
What is the dial indicator riding on? If you get an extension for the indicator, you can set it up to sit right on top of the bucket, and be more or less square with it. The ends of the cams don't completely cover the buckets so there is just enough exposed for the indicator extension. Get a small piece of steel flat stock, drill a hole in it, and screw it to the opposite cam cap that has the threaded hole for the valve cover. Put the mag base on the flat stock.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
What is the dial indicator riding on? If you get an extension for the indicator, you can set it up to sit right on top of the bucket, and be more or less square with it. The ends of the cams don't completely cover the buckets so there is just enough exposed for the indicator extension. Get a small piece of steel flat stock, drill a hole in it, and screw it to the opposite cam cap that has the threaded hole for the valve cover. Put the mag base on the flat stock.
:+1: you have to be on the bucket or you will not get the proper reading. I usually go to .050 valve lift(mark the degree wheel) and keep turning till I get to .050 from closed on other side of the lobe(mark the degree wheel again)then whatever the middle of the 2 marks is you lobe center. If you are trying to use the cam lobe and watch for opening and closing you are not going to get the right #'s.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I usually go to .040 lift, but I put in a zero lash shim, or put in a feeler gauge to get zero lash, so that ends up being just about .050 like what you said.

·
Registered
700 Posts
:+1: you have to be on the bucket or you will not get the proper reading. I usually go to .050 valve lift(mark the degree wheel) and keep turning till I get to .050 from closed on other side of the lobe(mark the degree wheel again)then whatever the middle of the 2 marks is you lobe center. If you are trying to use the cam lobe and watch for opening and closing you are not going to get the right #'s.
Yea that was a pic when i was setting it up. i had the indacator on the end of the bucket beside the cam.

That is just a pic i snaped when i was setting it all up i dont have a pic when i had it set up.

I measured at .050 in. of lift.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
After looking at it ageain Its right in the pic it looks like the mounting base is the indactor base.
if thats how it was you not getting a good reading the dial indictor has to be at a 90 degree angle to the bucket which would have it pointing straight up and down. with it on an angle like that it will start to slide accrossed the bucket when the valve starts to open causing the dial indicator to read higher than actual lift and depending upon how far it slides on the bucket your lobe center #'s will be off(If it slides further on the opening than the closing) .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
700 Posts
well damn...Maby that were the 8 HP i cant find is at. Im pretty sure its pretty close because the mount was solid but if there was any flex then it would skew the readings. But as long as you measure the same point opening and closing then your good. But consistencty is key and your right not the proper angle.

The valves also slant back and foward. so the angle is verry small but not perpendicular.

Btw the motor has been torn down 2ed since that pic and i rechecked all spec. and get the same as my origonal so im pretty sure is dead on but i could be wrong.

Pardon my spelling its late

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
well damn...Maby that were the 8 HP i cant find is at. Im pretty sure its pretty close because the mount was solid but if there was any flex then it would skew the readings. But as long as you measure the same point opening and closing then your good. But consistencty is key and your right not the proper angle.

The valves also slant back and foward. so the angle is verry small but not perpendicular.

Btw the motor has been torn down 2ed since that pic and i rechecked all spec. and get the same as my origonal so im pretty sure is dead on but i could be wrong.

Pardon my spelling its late
Yeah, It only takes one of the measurements to be a couple thousands off and Lobe center will be a few degrees off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts