Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for some good numbers for a starting point with my cams. head is ported nicely sunk valve guides and all. 0.18 cometic gasket. stock head deck. stock pistons.08 race intake with stock 04 exhaust. I had a stock gasket on it with the cams pretty much @ stock timing and the bike ran great. Ive just put it back together with the cams the very same and the bike feels like it has no top end but has mid range and lots of bottom. any help would be great. The bike also had a very good tune on it before so I wouldn't think that would be it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
i ran with 109/105 with that similar combo...liked it

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok..Now Im having a problem..Im getting compression kick back ( im losing comp ) threw the exhaust just spinning the motor over by hand. Im pretty sure my timing is off. Can anyone please post a pic of a set of cams in there head so I can get the lobe direction and location @tdc. I have adjustable gears and rubbed off my sharpie mark :dontknow:

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had mine at 110/102 and it was too high in the rpm. My HP was still climbing big time at redline on dyno even though I have rev extended 500rpm. I am redoing them now along with some head work. putting the cams at 107/103 this time. Trust me 110/102 is too high.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok Well I finally put the cams back to a stock degree and timed correctly ( Very complicated with no markings on aftermarket adjustable gears.lol). I will take the bike down my street in the morning and If all is well after a couple short pulls, Il be off to the track to see what times it puts down with the new thin 0.18 gasket and some tuning. Best before was a 5.72 @124 with a 139 60ft. but had some traction issues at the big end( shock to stiff and tire pressure combination). :sleepy2:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I had mine at 109.75\112 that was to high for me im 225suited........ 105\105 works real good:thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well It did run ...OK, but Im thinking its a a/f issue along with cam degree combination . The bike is running very smooth with good low and mid range. Up top its giving up a little past about 9ish. I Know its not dangerously lean but it is a little lean. Im 185 lbs and will try to go with 109 /105 and get some dyno time. Btw Bike went 5.88 @120 with a 140 60ft best so its a little off considering with the added compression it should be in the high 5.60s at full potential if it was running 5.72s cnsistantly before. As Always Any EDUCATED thoughts or tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had mine at 110/102 and it was too high in the rpm. My HP was still climbing big time at redline on dyno even though I have rev extended 500rpm. I am redoing them now along with some head work. putting the cams at 107/103 this time. Trust me 110/102 is too high.

Ι can confirm that on my 3g gen, kit cams degreed at 110/102 made peak power at 13.700 rpm,dropping very little maybe 1-2 hp until redline at 14.000,which you don't notice when you ride it,it pulls hard until the rev limiter.

Advance them as the other suggested or raise the rev limiter and go shorter with gearing,kind of brings the same result :badteeth:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Someone know ?

What is the cam degree for stock setting on gen 1 ???

Did it 104/104 or is it something else.

Other thing when (I use a 0.55 Head gasket) you put the cams in standard slot is this any problem related to that except it's not optimum ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sorry to tell you that if you don't dyno tune your PC map for best power right after mods there's no point in considering the engine performance, moreover if it's worse than before.

Please, tune your map to optimum power. Then take a close look at the fuel tables of this last map and compare it with your best pre-cam degree map.
General rule: If you need to add fuel at a certain box then the engine is pumping more air right there. If you need to remove fuel then the engine is pumping less air. That will tell you right away if you are heading in the direction you want with your cam timing.
Depending on your preference for midrange OR topend performance is that you adjust cam timing so the engine will pump the maximum amount of air on either rev zone. Remember fuel is ALWAYS secondary to the amount of air in the cylinder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts