Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike currently has the 3rd gen race intake and 2nd gen race exhaust cams. I'm going to pull the race exhaust cam and throw in a stock first gen exhaust cam. I did not install the race cams the first time so I don't know if they are degreed or not. My question is can I just use the race 3rd gen intake and the stock 1st gen exhaust in the factory 2nd gen cam locations and not degree them? I say this because I've never degreed before and if I can get away with the stock placements of the cams id rather do that then ruin my motor. And if I don't degree them am I losing power anywhere? Also where will the bike make its best power with these cams in the stock location? ive read every degree thread and cant find the specific answers for what im looking for. Also I wanted to do a minor port to the exhaust ports, good or bad idea? Any advice or input is greatly appreciated guys. Bike is coming apart next week and im trying to put a few gixxers in their place! Another thing ill add is the bike has full ti akra, thin hg, removed secondaries, Ivan tre, pc3 and ignition module if that makes any difference in anyone's input of what I'm trying to do. Thanks in advance for anyone's advice!

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
My bike currently has the 3rd gen race intake and 2nd gen race exhaust cams. I'm going to pull the race exhaust cam and throw in a stock first gen exhaust cam. I did not install the race cams the first time so I don't know if they are degreed or not. My question is can I just use the race 3rd gen intake and the stock 1st gen exhaust in the factory 2nd gen cam locations and not degree them? I say this because I've never degreed before and if I can get away with the stock placements of the cams id rather do that then ruin my motor. And if I don't degree them am I losing power anywhere? Also where will the bike make its best power with these cams in the stock location? ive read every degree thread and cant find the specific answers for what im looking for. Also I wanted to do a minor port to the exhaust ports, good or bad idea? Any advice or input is greatly appreciated guys. Bike is coming apart next week and im trying to put a few gixxers in their place! Another thing ill add is the bike has full ti akra, thin hg, removed secondaries, Ivan tre, pc3 and ignition module if that makes any difference in anyone's input of what I'm trying to do. Thanks in advance for anyone's advice!
Subscribed .. I want to learn this to .. Its all confusing to me .. ! ! !:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No no. I am using a stock 1st gen exhaust cam, and a race 3rd gen intake cam. Sry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
No no. I am using a stock 1st gen exhaust cam, and a race 3rd gen intake cam. Sry for the confusion.
Bring it on down...... I'll hook U up.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i had time to drive to kentucky i would.

·
Registered
55 Posts
subscribed

I have the int and exh race cams in my gen3 engine, don't know the degree if I put them on the stock round bolts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you did put them in did you notice any particular gains at certain rpms? More gains at high rpms? mid range? All around? Your set-up is what i will be running because the race 3rd gen exh cam is the same as a stock 1st gen exh cam. Obviously the heads are different between 2nd and 3rd gen but just to get a general idea of where you made power more with the cams will give me a general idea of what to expect.

·
Registered
55 Posts
well that's what I want to know before putting them in, will do it this week, if no info, will degree the cams to race specs.

My engine is a 3Gen with 3Gen race intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
114 Posts
About the porting, you would be better off porting the intake side instead of the exhaust side.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
When you did put them in did you notice any particular gains at certain rpms? More gains at high rpms? mid range? All around? Your set-up is what i will be running because the race 3rd gen exh cam is the same as a stock 1st gen exh cam. Obviously the heads are different between 2nd and 3rd gen but just to get a general idea of where you made power more with the cams will give me a general idea of what to expect.
The gen3 exhaust cam is the same as the gen2 stock exhaust cam.
Gen1 stock ex cam is different than the gen2 stock exhaust cam.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
well that's what I want to know before putting them in, will do it this week, if no info, will degree the cams to race specs.

My engine is a 3Gen with 3Gen race intake and exhaust.
You won't be disappointed !!!
You have to use the long bolt holes to adjust them, not the round ones.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you can't use the race cams in the factory locations on the cam gears?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
yeah, u can. coby adams even recommends bolting the race intake into stk. position. the earlier gen. ex. can be bolted into stk. position also. the extra lift and duration should help on the ex., especially with the thin hg boosting compression a little. power will probably be a little more enhanced toward the top due to ex. cam change. the compression boost should keep midrange constant. if the elongated holes are showing on the sprockets, cams are not degreed, they are in stk position. you should have a solid powerband and be safe considering your tune ok.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info. Top end is what I want to improve on anyway I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
yeah, u can. coby adams even recommends bolting the race intake into stk. position. the earlier gen. ex. can be bolted into stk. position also. the extra lift and duration should help on the ex., especially with the thin hg boosting compression a little. power will probably be a little more enhanced toward the top due to ex. cam change. the compression boost should keep midrange constant. if the elongated holes are showing on the sprockets, cams are not degreed, they are in stk position. you should have a solid powerband and be safe considering your tune ok.
:+1: Sure it can be bolted. But it's all about degree numbers.
You have to know the degree numbers. If it's not in the optimum settings you loose some power, right?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
degree

not really, basically with stk. to near stk. cams, u just move the powerband around to suit your purpose. on the ten, u dont see anyone vary far from the stk. positions when degreeing unless racing only, and then u lose in midrange what u pickup on top. u can move the cams up and record a higher hp #, and it may help with what u are trying to do, but its not the whole story. a good running streetbike needs good power low, and midrange more than just topend. that dyno queen with the real high degree #'s, gonna have a hard time catching up to u for most riding. ill take a good flat power curve all day long, thats your street power, and stk. position cams are close. although many think so, the race and small cams we use dont produce drastic results, or require drastic changes in cam timing, they just give us a little more power safley, with stk. pistons, as they were designed to do. not disputing degreeing cams, been doing it 30 years and i have the tools and experience. thats a small plus for those that can do it, worthwhile, but not the end in itself. the cam itself is, if its not practical to degree, just drop them in and enjoy, they will do thier little job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well for my 3gen engine, stock is 111° intake and 104°exhaust, with the race cams the manual recomend degreeing 110° intake and 102° exhaust.

If I put in the stock holes the race cams, what do you think of the results?
Better degreeing because it will be really better than don't degreeing?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts