Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help a buddy with his 2002 yamaha r1.
It vibrates A LOT. I think it's his cam chain tensioner.
He has 40K on the odometer and looks like the previous owner put a manual cam chain tensioner that my friend hasn't touched for the 13K miles he's owned it.
Does anyone know how to adjust this thing?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
INSTRUCTIONS

To set the tensioner adjustment, rotate the engine forward while screwing the tensioner bolt in. When you feel the engine tensioner parts (guide, rollers, etc.) make contact with the moving cam chain, back the tensioner bolt out 1/4 turn and tighten the jam nut. (For the finer pitch thread on the APE Pro Series tensioner it is advised to back the tensioner up 1/2 of a turn.)

DO NOT over-tighten the cam chain, as cam chain giude damage could occur. Be sure jam nut is tight against the tensioner body when complete.

This is per APE's website.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I rotate the crankshaft clockwise using a wrench while turning the screw clockwise as well right?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Yes.

Is it audibly loud on the timing chain side of the motor? I have had them fail before on my Honda's and I don't really recall it vibrating. Of course if you do the adjustment properly you can't hurt anything. Just make sure you don't over tighten or over loosen it, I would hate to have you cause damage.

I do not mean that offensively in any way, or is that a knock on you or your mechanical ability. I am just trying to simply state if you do not know what you are doing this is one adjustment you should not be making.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's cool man I appreciate the advice and warnings!
I rode his bike and something is definitely wrong. It could be the tensioner as well as something else in addition but I feel the cct should be first.
It's loud and it vibrates when the throttle is opened especially past 4k rpm but smoothes out at the higher rpms. Its most pronounced between 4.5k and 6k and is felt throughout the bike.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Yea that's the right rpm range to hear it for sure. Give it a go and see what happens. Good place to start, and ya cant hurt anything by making sure its in proper adjustment.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So upon further inspection it looks like his isn't manual and its still the same stock automatic one.
I'm going to help him replace it. I know he should get a manual one but I don't think he'll be able to adjust it at the proper intervals so I think we should just stick with the same stock automatic one yea?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I put a manual one on my 954rr at like 38k miles. I sold it at 85k miles and cannot recall ever adjusting it, maybe once. Get the APE its superior imho.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I'm with Teeks here, the APE manual tensioner is superior and way less hassle if it ever needs adjusting again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys. As for adjustments, there are a number of youtube videos up there now. You can do a search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts