Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes i did search i have read alot of garths threads. i still have a few problems and questions that have not yet been asked. bike is an 04 not used for track or strip just a weekend warrior

1. My biggest problem is finding the .45mm head gasket i can not find one and kawi only lists the .50

where can i get the gasket i am looking for and if i can not is the .50 worth doing? Also how bad is the smaller gasket going to throw off setting the timing back.

2. I have the cam it has been sitting for a long time i am about to install engine out of bike. I will take pics and a step by step walk through since it has not been done yet. I want to know is it worth buying a kit to degree the cams or all i need is the wheel and dial indicator or run out gauge to do it. Also what size wheel what numbers have to be on the wheel and i only need a dial indicator that does 90 degrees right?

Are the kawi race valve springs worth the purchase for an extra 5lbs of force if i never plan to mess with the rev limiter? and if i do purchase them will my stock retainers work with them still?

I see alot of different specs of where the cams are degreed at. No one posts what the end results of the power band is. Can someone breakdown how the number change hi or lo affects the powerband so i can choose a number that will work for what i am doing. I don't want to have to do this again.

Is there anything else i can do performance wise while i am there. I am starting to think that port and polishing is not worth the time or money. while it is apart i took for the secondary flies installed block off plates.

All responses are appreciated i will post pics when i start this sat and i hope to find a head gasket soon so i can continue with the rest.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Muzzy lists a .3mm thinner than stock HG. That should be about .35

http://www.muzzys.com/ZX10/ZX10Gasket/index.html

If it´s worth raising the compression? Yes, it is. You´ll gain some power and throttle response.

Regarding the degree wheel, the larger the better. You will gain in precision.

If you have the money, then change the valve springs. Trash the stock exhaust ones and fit there the stock intakes. On the intake side install the race ones.
Stock retainers are good to go.

Cam number that prove to work fine are 107 int, 104 exh.
Here are some basics of cam timing :
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0306_art/index.html
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9604_hand/index.html

Hope this sheds some light:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
The shop I went to decked the head and used a stock gasket. A little more money than the gasket but durabilty was an issue.
With the race cam you HAVE to use the race springs. I think they are taller.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have the head off ready to put in the gasket. I had a parts guy hunt me down the .45 gasket. I will assemble next week. As far as pulling off the head it was pretty easy except for the cam chain guides. I have a degree wheel and a run out gauge with a mount ready for the cam degree.

How did you mount the wheel to the bolt just drill it out?

·
Registered
742 Posts
How did you mount the wheel to the bolt just drill it out?
That´s the tricky part. Get another, same thread but longer bolt, some nuts and washers.
A hardened bolt is preferable, as you really have to tighten it up if you want to turn the engine from that same bolt and not loose your real TDC point once you have set it.

Use on nut to fix the wheel to the bolt, and 2 nuts to fix to the crankshaft (second nut to lock the first one)

·
Registered
27 Posts
on a 2nd gen how do you adjust the cam position? i don't remember there being any adjustment on the cam gears when i pulled apart the head the other day. Or am i missing something.

thanks Dane

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
They discontinued teh .45 HG a while ago. I think I actually made a thread abou tit because the price dropped to 50% at the time I bought 2. One to onstall and one as a backup.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i still got my ands on one. if you need one i can ask my buddy he is a parts guy at kawi it took him a day to find a place that still has them but he came through it is in my hand. i made my piston stop and this is on hold because i have been moving and my other half has me staring at paint strips in home depot for hours so its kinda hard to finish my bike right now. gotta keep her happy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts