Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been searching the net for a 300+ HP, 2 stroke engine with no luck. was the 2 stroke era that
This engine is to be mated to a custom Track car.

THanks in advance

·
Registered
124 Posts
Been searching the net for a 300+ HP, 2 stroke engine with no luck. was the 2 stroke era that

THanks in advance
Go have a look at outboard motors there is a few there that meet your basic need. Better still some are easy to convert to a closed loop cooling system rather than the stock total loss.

I

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Expensive... but fun

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

THanks in advance
Dunno about 300 hp 2-strokes, but the Kawasaki (KX500) and Honda (CR500) were legendary when it came to making crazy fast go carts and buggies.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
mmm 2 Plenty of 200 hp 2 stroke outboards. Fit a set of formula expasion chambers and you may go close

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks.

The concept in my head is

A light 2 seater with a light 2 stroke engine with sequential transmission, I have spoken to a local suspension manufacturer and they would like to work with me on the project.

I plan on running some formula type wheels and tires.

Chassis: Similar to Ariel Atom

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
thanks.

The concept in my head is

A light 2 seater with a light 2 stroke engine with sequential transmission, I have spoken to a local suspension manufacturer and they would like to work with me on the project.

I plan on running some formula type wheels and tires.

Chassis: Similar to Ariel Atom
wow, that will be awesome. the atom is one my favorite cars ever.

There was a really good episode of Top Gear featuring that car.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Snowmobile engine ...

Most of the outboards are vertical crankshaft. I realize that two-strokes don't care too much about their orientation but it's still more headaches to sort out. A snowmobile engine is the correct orientation. Haven't seen one with 300 hp, that would be insane, but there's plenty with 150 or thereabouts, and you could gear 2 of them together.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am looking at HGT 800-1000CC engine ( snowmobile ) about 260 HP

still open to suggestions though

Thanks to everyone for their input so far.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Snowmobile motor dude

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
hmmmm, wonder if we could slam one of those suckers in a bike frame :-D 260hp N/A would be some serious kick ass power.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
There used to be a guy at the Surfers raceway dragstrip with a cut down 4wd with a worked 200hp Evinrude. Used to go like a dog shot up the arse

·
Registered
113 Posts
how will this thing be used?

are you looking to build a track, drag or street vehicle? getting a snowmobile engine to run cool can be a problem. i just switched from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke because i would eat a engine every 20 hrs. i had a yamaha 700cc 3 cyl engine putting out 161 hp at the crank. output was run thru the snowmobile cvt transmission. my application is road course track, the temps were in range on a circle track but way too high on the road course. i was running a front and rear radiator and evans cooling fluid. the aluminum pistons would seize and the rod would break and the engine was scrap.
i now run a zx10-r engine, the top end is up by 14 mph and the car pulls better.
good luck on what ever you choose, but i vote 4 stroke.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
are you looking to build a track, drag or street vehicle? getting a snowmobile engine to run cool can be a problem. i just switched from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke because i would eat a engine every 20 hrs. i had a yamaha 700cc 3 cyl engine putting out 161 hp at the crank. output was run thru the snowmobile cvt transmission. my application is road course track, the temps were in range on a circle track but way too high on the road course. i was running a front and rear radiator and evans cooling fluid. the aluminum pistons would seize and the rod would break and the engine was scrap.
i now run a zx10-r engine, the top end is up by 14 mph and the car pulls better.
good luck on what ever you choose, but i vote 4 stroke.

THose are also some of my concerns, It is will be strictly a Race Track only vehicle (Not Drag )

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmmmm, wonder if we could slam one of those suckers in a bike frame :-D 260hp N/A would be some serious kick ass power.

I think I just started something in Garths head. how long before he actually does it ?

I say a month:badteeth:

·
Registered
363 Posts
4 stroke is the way to go. To get max hp out of a two stroke you have to get the mix as lean as you can. Problems start when you lift off the gas after full throttle. EFI is a must with this or you will have problems. I know of some road race cars that have two strokes, and very early on with mechanical injection they replaced motors almost every session. They went like stink when they were on the pipe though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I need to do some research but I did have a sight that made 2 strokes that are about 250 hp

Wish i knew what i did with it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts