Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K, heres the diagnosis for why my ZX10R died. Dealer said that both the Relay and ECU are fried. I knew the ECU was fried but didnt know the Relay was. So I got both off another forum member for a great price. The dealer said that the Relay caused the ECU to fry. For you electrical guru's, is that true? I was thinking that there may be a short somewhere in the wiring harness or something. Im not that great when it comes to electrical issues. I just want to make sure what the dealer said sounds right. Last thing I need is to install the new Relay and ECU and have the same thing happen again because the dealer diagnosed it wrong.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,877 Posts
What relay was it that failed? A relay is nothing more than a switch. One side is a low voltage circuit that is fed into the relay to close a high voltage circuit on the other side. Basically a remote switching device. It would be conceivable that if the thing shorted internally, it would allow the high voltage to pass into the low voltage part. I'd pull the old relay out and hook a meter up to it to test for shorts to verify it was bad.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer said that I needed a new Relay box (the one thats sits directly on top of the ECU). I know there are three connectors into the relay box but he didnt say which one went bad

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,877 Posts
Yeah, there are several relays in that box. It would be time consuming and tedious to check them all. Might just have to have a little faith in the fact that the dealer got it right. Unless you wanna find the pin outs for each of those connectors and start checking each one with a meter. It's a risk, but the alternative will take a long time to try and track down a possible short.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I know troubleshooting an electrical problem can be very tedious and time consuming. Im crossing my fingers and hope the dealer is right. Just would hate for it to happen again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts