Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Always On Mod
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you get the chance to ride Laguna Seca, one of the most famous racetracks in the world? Add to that <20 people signed up so it was an open trackday. Add to that it was sunny and 70+ And the icing on the cake = I got my ticket for $100.... SO, I called in sick and went and played.

Here's a video of me giving my buddy a tow (I'm :banamet:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH6FSh7F6JU

I also got to mess around chasing Cory Call, and trying to learn how to back it in. I'm not nearly as proficient, but I'm starting to get used to feeling the rear sliding on the brakes.
https://youtu.be/c5fA6IVA0os

:helmet:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nice videos Animal, looks like a lot of fun. Good call on using a sick day :ayyy:

As for the backing it in to the turn, on the basic level how does one do that? My first impressions are that you hard to be hard enough on the front brakes to lighten up the rear and it steps out?

It can be from using to much rear right ?!

·
Always On Mod
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice videos Animal, looks like a lot of fun. Good call on using a sick day :ayyy:

As for the backing it in to the turn, on the basic level how does one do that? My first impressions are that you hard to be hard enough on the front brakes to lighten up the rear and it steps out?

It can be from using to much rear right ?!
Probably, like wheelies there are a few ways to make it happen. For me, be hard on the front brakes to get the rear light, drop 3 gears and drop the clutch, maybe use a tiny bit of rear brake to initiate the slide

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hmm well I have been trying this on my Honda Grom (little bit more forgiving lol) and ill come into the turn lock the rear up, start the slide, but to get the rear wheel to step out in the direction of the turn the handle bars end up pointing the opposite way of the turn, then when I let off the rear when it catches it feels like it once to high side me. I believe this happens as I am going to low of a mph to do this, as the gyroscopic effect kicks in above 30 or so.After watching the video a few times, I am almost sure of it. I am just pondering, any insight is helpful.

Probably the most exciting time for when I watch races is when they back that ass in boye!

·
Always On Mod
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work man, you sir are an animal!
I see what you did there :thumbsup:
Hmm well I have been trying this on my Honda Grom (little bit more forgiving lol) and ill come into the turn lock the rear up, start the slide, but to get the rear wheel to step out in the direction of the turn the handle bars end up pointing the opposite way of the turn, then when I let off the rear when it catches it feels like it once to high side me. I believe this happens as I am going to low of a mph to do this, as the gyroscopic effect kicks in above 30 or so.After watching the video a few times, I am almost sure of it. I am just pondering, any insight is helpful.

Probably the most exciting time for when I watch races is when they back that ass in boye!
yeah... i'm still pretty novice with the whole sliding thing. Some SuMo guys can probably be more helpful

Good times, good times :)
I'm disappointed I didn't get a chance to ride with you that day

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
Playing hooky from work= BAD ANIMAL :spankbw:

Riding an awesome racetrack on an equally awesome day= GOOD ANIMAL :thumbsup:

So your even. :grin2:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
That's awesome Animal never rode that track other than a pre race parade lap did a wheelie out of turn 4 on my old ZX9R back in the day what a blast that track is....and for a fee I won't tell your Boss why you skipped work....hehehe J/m Bloo

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Nice, looks like fun.

Thanks for posting the link to the event provider.

I will get out there one of these days!

I think it's about a 10 hour drive from Phoenix, I could do that, hmmm.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts