Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly 3 years of great service the std calipers on my 05 race bike have finally bit the dust (after 2 days at Phillip Island). Changing to the 06 radial master cylinder helped a bit but it appears the calipers are in need of a rebuild.
Sooo, after pricing up the rebuild kit it appears to be a better option to just change the calipers to something better.
The question is what is a direct bolt on.? I have done the search and read the pages and understand zx14 and 07 + zx6r calipers are direct fit - but there too rare and exxie..
Cbr1000 05 + and cbr 600 07 + fit up but need a 5.5 mm spacer and can be had for fair price. What about gixxer 1000 / 750 / 600 and R1 and r6 calipers.? Any of these a good option and directly fit with no spacers etc.?
Thanks guys..

·
Registered
523 Posts
PM sent Dave :wink:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
R1 calipers would probably be an illegal mod for racing, you need to run the bigger zx14 discs. They are fucking phenomenal though, one finger endos coming down from 280km/h phenomenal.

You'd need: R1 calipers, zx14 rotor gaskets and rotors.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info.
To race superstock over here your not supposed to change the calipers, but as its a bit older than most, no one would bother protesting me (right Wattie..?.. :) )
The cbr and gsxr calipers look the same apart from the colour, the nissans do look a little different.
With the spacers for the CBR calipers, I read they can be bought with lips removed and in black, anyone know how to get hold of em.?

I also checked the gixxer site and see there swapping out calipers too, so I'll take those of my options list.. :)

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Thanks for the info.
To race superstock over here your not supposed to change the calipers, but as its a bit older than most, no one would bother protesting me (right Wattie..?.. :) )
The cbr and gsxr calipers look the same apart from the colour, the nissans do look a little different.
With the spacers for the CBR calipers, I read they can be bought with lips removed and in black, anyone know how to get hold of em.?

I also checked the gixxer site and see there swapping out calipers too, so I'll take those of my options list.. :)
CBR Caliper>GSXR Caliper

I believe Yoyodyne had some Brembo spacers...a bit pricey and I believe a tad short. The info I am referring to is in the thread I gave ya. However, I would just get some machined...or go cheap and fab some yourself. (That's what I did)

Here are the specs (IIRC):

Height= 5.2mm
I.D.= 10mm
O.D.= 24mm

I would double check these against that thread. Hope that helps.

-SS

·
Registered
227 Posts
I tried some K3 thou calipers on mine at the track and found 'em pretty good (four pad) bolt straight on too. Haven't had it there with the cbr calipers yet so I can't give a comparison....though on the road it's hard to tell which is better....though they both blow away the ZX ones......

·
Registered
829 Posts
Go the CBR parts Dave, they're cheap as chips and so much better than the crap OEM. If you're worried about being sprung, anodise the spacers or paint them mat black.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
186 Posts
[:hello:Go for BREMBOS M4-34 Monobloc ones.before i set them on my bike i tried a pair of cbr1000's 09' from a crashed bike,but the difference with Brembos was amazing as i was told before...:cool:

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure how much racing I'll be doing next year, but it will be just enough to ensure the tax man allows me to claim my bike expenses as legitimate advertising for my business.. :) So probly not the biggest issue..
Found some spacers if anyone is interested, there cheaper than the Honda and Brembo ones, and I've asked if they can do em in Black.. I also asked to confirm the OD..
There for push bikes.. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CNC-M10-Axle-...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item45ef5ba193

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Ahh, I dont believe our rule book says anything about calipers, just about retaining OEM rotor size. I did it anyways though, Im not winning any pay classes :badteeth:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts