Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some input from you California track day riders.

1) Button Willow or Thunderhill?
2) Who puts on the best track day events at these two venues?
2a) Best quality (on time, amount of track time, organized, safety)
2b) Best value for the money
3) Any bad experiences with the organizers that were not resolved
4) Anything you can think to add

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I've never been to Th, but love Buttonwillow....

If you want a terrific experience, do a track day with Traxperience...which is Todd's group at CalSportbike....his track days cost a little more, but they offer a REAL breakfast with eggs, and all...lunch is a real chicken breast, string beans, and a really good meal - instead of the usual hot dogs or hamburgers....in addition, he will take you in his truck around the track and show you all the lines....his instructors will guide you all around the track one and one and also show you the lines and help you around....he only had two groups so each session is half an hour....and I went in the race group, didn't pass anyone but had the whole track to myself...went to Pahrump with him....was a terrific above normal track day experience and worth the extra money...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Unfortunately never been to Thunderhill...

Been about half a dozen times to Buttonwillow (clockwise, #13 configuration: nice track, very technical, first 1/3 of track is narrow

and slow, gets wider and flows well after that ) with different track day org. all good ... a :thumbsup: to Trackexperience...

The only average note I would give (like a C): Trackdaz, got rear ended by

some crackhead on a Gixxer and another time, one of the instructors

crashed right in front of me (WTF ?? ).

Another point I want to make is for anyone out of state willing to burn

some rubber here in SoCal: gotta try Fontana (aka California Speedway

now: frickin AutoClub Speedway), great track, lots of runoffs and going

170+ on the banking is fun.. :mrgreen:

Fastrackriders has the exclusive deal with Fontana.

:cool:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
not a track junkie only been a few times so can't talk about the others....but will say a 10R is an Animal and so fun at Thunderhill :thumbsup:

why you asking GPZ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Buttonwillow is my least favorite track. Ever since it was new and they let the cars go on it before it cured, it's been jacked up. Patches all over the place that have about as much traction as oil. It's alright if you go really slow, and there are guys that know the track well enough to haul ass on it, but I'm in between and dislike it...immensly.
Buttonwillow is closer to Willow and Fontana than it is to Thunderhill by a long shot, btw... If you're gonna make a special trip out here for a TD, why not plan it around a Laguna TD?
Fontana is a fun track IMO. You have to think like a mofo to turn a good lap time. Fastrack puts it on, and they're very well organized.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
not a track junkie only been a few times so can't talk about the others....but will say a 10R is an Animal and so fun at Thunderhill :thumbsup:

why you asking GPZ?
:idea: maybe he is going to do a trackday :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i love thill, never been to bwillow. thill is a fun track, can be a little bumpy. i go to all my trackdays with pacific track time. tons of riding time, very organized, always on time. micheal earnest and a few of his instructos are top 5 afm racers. but i have never been there with another company, so i cant give a better/worse opinion. ptt's days a thill are $180 i think, and b group is usually really full.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I would get on the Willow Springs Int National Raceway site and see some info for myself. That track is very interesting and its been there for a long time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've done Buttonwillow, Big Willow, and Cali (err Auto Club...) speedway multiple times. If you're going to plan a special track day to SoCal, do Cali speedway. Expensive, but gives a true experience. Garages are included too. My favorite org is Fastrack as their timing system is up and running now. It displays times for all riders, and is mainly used to bump people that don't belong in certain groups. Much safer than running up on some fool puttin through the chicane off the main straight at Cali.

If money is truely no object, plan a Laguna weekend. That facility is phenominal and my buddy just rode it. Says he'd do that 3 times to Cali speedway once. My only gripe with that track is noise regulations. Why on earth a track that Moto GP runs would require db levels is beyond me. But, I've got my stock pipe for when I pull the trigger!

My last Buttonwillow day a month or so ago was with Take It To The Track. It's probably the least organized, but it's anything goes which can be fun. I think there were like 12 crashes (an instructor included). Crazy chit. My only close call came when some dood blew a turn in A group as I was passing on the outside and ran me off, but that's part of it! Run offs are pretty good at Buttonwillow if you've got dirt bike experience.....

I basically base my days on my schedule letting me do them, and will ride with any org.

Good luck!

B

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
i bounce back and forth between big willow and cal speedway..both tracks are unique but have you run at full throttle for long stretches...:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts