Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much would i gain by removing all d stock california emissions equipment on my zx? is it worth removing n buying those block off plates?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I've removed the entire KLEEN and charcoal canister setups on my Cal model but i wasn't looking to gain anything so i didn't spend the time with dyno work etc. Insted of block off plates i used 2-5/8" vacuum caps W/zyp-ties.

BD

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so not much to gain, but how about weight & does the bike run better/smoother or sumthin???

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The total weight loss may have been a whoppin 1.235lbs along with a reduction in the dreaded backfire/popping on decel.

BD

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Weight is the only loss/gain you're going to see. Also, "49" state Kawi's are not really "49" state bikes. Most every Kawi sold west of the Mississippi are actually CA spec bikes. I bought mine in NV and it's CA spec. Kawi only has 2 major warehouses in the US(so I hear) and bikes going west are Ca spec bikes while bikes going east are the so called "49" state bikes. All are equiped with lean jetting and Cats. The best you'll see is the weight savings of a little over a pound from removing the charcoasl cainster andd assorted goodies from the Ca spec bikes. It's not like to old days where CA bikes got different cams, carbs, jetting and all that stuff.
JG

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
From what I've heard, Kawi has a major wharehouse in Dallas. Hopefully they didn't send any Cali versions here.:gay:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Andy, take your back seat off and read the sticker in the bottom of the 'trunk' If it says:

"This vehicle conforms to US EPA and California regulations applicable to 2004 model year motorcycles and is certified to 1.3G/KM HC+NOX engine family exhaust emissions standard in CA"

You have a ZX1000C1L, or a CA spec bike. the 49 state bikes are ZX1000C1's

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
gladding24 said:
Andy, take your back seat off and read the sticker in the bottom of the 'trunk' If it says:

"This vehicle conforms to US EPA and California regulations applicable to 2004 model year motorcycles and is certified to 1.3G/KM HC+NOX engine family exhaust emissions standard in CA"

You have a ZX1000C1L, or a CA spec bike. the 49 state bikes are ZX1000C1's
Thanks Gladding. I checked the sticker. It's a ZX1000C1 with no "L".

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
gladding24 said:
Weight is the only loss/gain you're going to see. Also, "49" state Kawi's are not really "49" state bikes. Most every Kawi sold west of the Mississippi are actually CA spec bikes. I bought mine in NV and it's CA spec. Kawi only has 2 major warehouses in the US(so I hear) and bikes going west are Ca spec bikes while bikes going east are the so called "49" state bikes. All are equiped with lean jetting and Cats. The best you'll see is the weight savings of a little over a pound from removing the charcoasl cainster andd assorted goodies from the Ca spec bikes. It's not like to old days where CA bikes got different cams, carbs, jetting and all that stuff.
JG
My dealer told me the same thing, because that was a big concern of mine, and I bought my bike in AZ. He stated the same deal all the Kawi's had cats etc, and they all made the same hp unlike back in the days as it was said before when the CA bikes would be slightly de-tuned for better emissions :+1:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx 4 all d repies yall!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
by removing the Cali emissions do I void my warrenty? Also when I installed my K&N filter I was removing the hoses (right side of the tank RED & BLUE) and tore one of them. So my brother was helping me and he said lets cut the hoses and take the blue hose and trim it and connect a small part of the tube to the two holes. Well at the track when I was trying to fuel up the gas cap was sucked in and a part of the tank was also sucked in. Well I used a Tshirt and flat head screwdriver (THANKS KaTooM) for the tools and help got the gas cap to open. The tank then released the pressure and now it keeps poping in and out what should I do?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Get a new tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts