Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I’m nearing the end of my build for the gen 4, I was looking for something to sink my teeth into.

Stumbled on a 1985 GPZ 550 for a cafe racer build, but I’m a bit hesitant due to parts the bike needs and what may or may not be available. I hate asking forums for validation, but that’s kind of what I’m here for (hahahah).

Also if anyone has built a cafe racer before let me know what tips you might have and what you had trouble with. Trying to build a budget bike for under $1500, and with the price of the bike only being $100 (not missing a zero), this is a pretty damn good start in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Chairman of the Board
16,067 Posts
I love it. Looks like you have a good solid start too. Subscribed because I want to see her finished!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I would go for it. :dontknow:

My older brother and I cafe'd a CB550-four. It was over your pricepoint...but you aren't starting from a non-modded standard and didn't buy another motor. You might have to get a little creative in regards to parts...I would look into what is available at boneyards and parts interchangeability between bikes. We took ours down to the frame, gusseted/reinforced it powdercoated/paint...etc etc etc. What specific parts are you worried about sourcing? I would start a list. What exhaust? Suspension? Putting pods on it? What are your main concerns? Brackets? Headlight? Seals? Bearings? Does it run? Carbs wonky? Have the tools you need? Where there is a will there is a way.

Reactions: Helitech

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Main concern right now is working through getting it registered.

The frame and engine was bought at the local yard for use as a test fit bike. So I’m not sure what legalities are gonna go into trying to get it registered.

Other concerns include:
- currently isn’t running
- don’t know what parts are off the engine
- no pods
- no key/ignition
- no exhaust

Not looking for a turn key bike due to budget, but don’t want to spend too much to get her going again either.

I might just pull the trigger and see what I can come up with. This build will take a while to finish up only because I’m back in school for a masters and doing that at the age of 34 is definitely kicking my ass.

First priority would be to get it running again. then I’ll break her down to parade rest for paint/ powder coating.

I may build a makeshift booth and paint the tank and fairing myself while the wheels and frame get PC’d. I’ll update the thread if I decide to pick it up this week, then I’ll start a build thread.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would go for it. :dontknow:

My older brother and I cafe'd a CB550-four. It was over your pricepoint...but you aren't starting from a non-modded standard and didn't buy another motor. You might have to get a little creative in regards to parts...I would look into what is available at boneyards and parts interchangeability between bikes. We took ours down to the frame, gusseted/reinforced it powdercoated/paint...etc etc etc. What specific parts are you worried about sourcing? I would start a list. What exhaust? Suspension? Putting pods on it? What are your main concerns? Brackets? Headlight? Seals? Bearings? Does it run? Carbs wonky? Have the tools you need? Where there is a will there is a way.

I love the lines of the CB500/CB750, but since everyone seems to be into cafe racers in Southern California right now, they’re costing more than they’re worth (in my opinion), and the ones that are done really well are costing a small fortune. Plus this is a bit different and might be kinda cool to have to Kawasakis in the stable... if I could find a CB fixer for cheap, I’d definitely do it based on parts availability alone though!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So this happened today:

Bike needs a lot of work, but I’m looking forward to the process. This will be my first ground-up motorcycle build. Looking at it after a friend and I got it back to my place gave me a headache (hahahah). So I went and paid for dinner and some beers for my buddy’s time and help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
in georgia u cannot even obtain a title of registration on any vehicle over 15 years old, state will not issue one. all that is required to register the bike for ownership and tag is notorized bill of sale and proof of insurance. no chain of ownership required. so very simple, google ur state vehicle registration requirements.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts