Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

61 - 80 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Thats really interesting, I didn't know any of that. Thank you!

I was talking to a guy on Psychobike who is running 15/43 and said he is going through the traps on the limiter in 6th. He was saying his bike didn't leave as hard on a 16/45 as it does on the 15/43.

Seems like a 15/42 would probably be a pretty good combo and a bit more aggressive than what I have now. Just have to debate if it'd be worth the money to try the new setup or put that money towards some ceramic bearings...

Is there any truth behind running a smaller front sprocket and losing hp? I know I've got a few friends that say that but don't know how much I really believe them.
Ask 10 "racers" and get 10 different answers. The smallest I would go would be 15 up front. You wouldn't have $65-70 in both sprockets. $20-25 front, $40-45 rear as long as your don't to aluminum rear sprockets.
But with the smaller sprockets your rear wheel would be pushed out a little more. So if your about out of adjustment you may have to shorten the chain.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ask 10 "racers" and get 10 different answers. The smallest I would go would be 15 up front. You wouldn't have $65-70 in both sprockets. $20-25 front, $40-45 rear as long as your don't to aluminum rear sprockets.
But with the smaller sprockets your rear wheel would be pushed out a little more. So if your about out of adjustment you may have to shorten the chain.
I'd guess if you asked those 10 different guys 2 times at different points during the year you'd get 15 different answers lol.

That's not too bad, especially if it helps get me a better 60' time which is so important when racing. I'll have to look at the chain tonight, don't think I have a ton of adjustment left in it but I know there is a bit.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
^Definitely want to try out some different gearing and see if it helps. I forgot my NHRA license expires next month and the bike series I want to try and race in this summer is pretty strict on people having one. There goes that new gearing money lol

Messed around with the bike a bit last night and got the launch master mounted in the tail. Had to cut up the bottom storage part where the tool kit normally goes, but with some velcro it seems really solidly mounted. Tried to mount it so I could adjust the launch rpm with it still velcro'd down with the tail on If I can't, it shouldn't be hard to pull it out a bit to adjust it.

Hope to finish running the wires up front for that and the lcd200 this weekend as well as installing my penske shock and wrap my airbox in GOLD :lol:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Go the air box pulled out this weekend and wrapped in the DEI gold tape. I'd say wrapping it probably took me a few hours but I'm probably a slow worker and maybe a bit too anal. Turned out looking pretty good I think and used a whole 30' roll on just the air box. I'll most likely put it on the bottom of the air box at the same time I pull it back off to install some velocity stacks.

I took off the clamps for the throttle bodies on the bottom part and also took off the secondary rail/injectors off the top part to get as much coverage as possible.

Can also see the LCD200 mounted. Ran the wire a bit differently than shown in last 2 pictures but forgot to take a picture.

While the airbox was off I was able to run the harness for the MSD Launch Master. The RED/ GREEN wire of the LARGER connector of the relay box on the left side of the gas tank can be tapped into for the clutch ground for the launch master.

With the gas tank off it was also a good time to install the Penske shock!

Didn't put it fully back together so I have less to take apart once those velocity stacks in. The gold looks cool without the side gas tank panels on there

All thats left is to get the velocity stacks and install them. Then go out and ride it and see if the auto tune changes the tune. Then hopefully its warm enough by April 18 to make it to the first track day and try out the new goodies!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
That gold makes it look like some shit straight outta NASAs JPL haha.

I remember after doing mine I just stared, and stared, and stared haha.

Even this weekend when I was getting her ready for the spring I stared at it for a good 5 minutes haha. I know. I'm a loser and simpleton; easily awed by shiny things.

Good work with the launch control. I was getting looks from my neighbors this weekend testing mine. Shit is a riot.

How configurable is yours?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yea I did catch myself staring at that gold a few times this weekend, glad I'm not the only one lol.

I'm sure my neighbors didn't like me testing it either, sum bitch is loud.

Its easily configurable but does have limits. RPM adjustments are made via two rotary switches located on the harness side of the unit. The adjustment range is from 1,800 to 9,900 rpm, in 100 and 1000 rpm increments. Should only take a few seconds to change.

Wanted to have you update the flash for launch control but since I don't have the ability to change the flash and I don't really know what it'll work best at I wanted the ability to change it easily at the track.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Nice update!

·
Registered
263 Posts
how did you go about wrapping the air box? which way did you start wrapping it? any tricks to fitting it in tight corners or spots?

I plan on doing this soon but would like to know what I am about to get into. Id like to just get by with 1 roll of the tape and not have to waste any while doing so, hence why i ask. Definitely does look amazing though, shame it gets covered up with the fairings. Now if only there were some clear fairings to put on that would let you see it.

Glad to hear I am not the only one waiting on the velocity stacks. Then again I put my bike back together completely while waiting for them.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
how did you go about wrapping the air box? which way did you start wrapping it? any tricks to fitting it in tight corners or spots?

I plan on doing this soon but would like to know what I am about to get into. Id like to just get by with 1 roll of the tape and not have to waste any while doing so, hence why i ask. Definitely does look amazing though, shame it gets covered up with the fairings. Now if only there were some clear fairings to put on that would let you see it.

Glad to hear I am not the only one waiting on the velocity stacks. Then again I put my bike back together completely while waiting for them.
Small strips man... I used the CV4 rolls and for the smaller tighter areas I ripped much more narrow strips and went over several times. Just take your time, have some patience and bring a beer or two (or three) in the garage, turn some good music on and go to town.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

Small strips man... I used the CV4 rolls and for the smaller tighter areas I ripped much more narrow strips and went over several times. Just take your time, have some patience and bring a beer or two (or three) in the garage, turn some good music on and go to town.
^Pretty much summed it up.

I did the bottom a bit different from the top but think they should both do the same. Think the bottom was a bit easier because it didn't have the little indents for the injectors and other tight bends.

I cut small pieces like Archer said and laid them in small spots. Then if part of a piece went around a bend I could slice it so it would fold around and sit flat. I tried to do all the small stuff first then went over it with bigger pieces. Figured the bigger pieces would be less prone to ever falling off than the smaller pieces would be.

I think they have different size rolls, I had maybe one 6" to 1ft left of the 30ft roll when I was done just doing the air box. I don't know how much doing the bottom of the gas tank will take but if I have some left and you need a little bit to finish yours, I'm only 30min from the MN/WI border and could donate some to get yours finished :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but if you are using this to reflect the heat from the air box you are reflecting that heat to the bottom of the gas tank no? Hotter fuel = less power, so did you do the gas tank too?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Yea I would say you would want to do the bottom of the gas tank too.

I haven't done my gas tank but do plan on it. My tank was pretty much topped off from putting it in storage so I was a little hopeful the weather would warm up and I could ride it a bit and get some gas out of it to make it easier to work with. I'll probably just drain the gas out of it and wrap the gas tank at the same time I put those velocity stacks in.

Got some foam on the seat and looks pretty cool I think. Should help hold me in place, when I rode it once on the street with no foam I slide back just taking off normal from the stop light. Also got some funny stickers that I think I'll put where the stock 1000 stickers were on the tail.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^Financial mistake......bikes are investments lol :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just sat down and read the whole thread.. Killer build!

Did you ever dyno it after putting the long arm/chain on it? I'm curious how much power that ate up.

I was also planning on doing the air shifter with nitrous, regulating the pressure down right after the bottle... Maybe I'll rethink that plan.. I hate messing with compressors tho..

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I just sat down and read the whole thread.. Killer build!

Did you ever dyno it after putting the long arm/chain on it? I'm curious how much power that ate up.

I was also planning on doing the air shifter with nitrous, regulating the pressure down right after the bottle... Maybe I'll rethink that plan.. I hate messing with compressors tho..
Thank you! :eek:ccasion1 I was looking back and seems like some pictures aren't showing up. Not sure if its a work filter or maybe since I stole some pictures from FB they changed their link settings or something. I'll try and go through and make sure all the pics show up in the next few days!

I never did dyno it again after putting on the stretch. I'm sure it ate up some power an its had a drag radial on it for most of the stretch and I know that'll eat up some power as well. I plan on throwing it on the same dyno again this summer with a street tire and see what it puts down. Hopeful that it makes more than it did before since it should have a set of ceramic bearings in the next week or two, a 'tune' on 87 pump, a clean air filter, wrapped air box, and a set of velocity stacks.

I know some guys have had real good luck with the nitrous for the air shifter, not sure if I just had it set up wrong or what. There was a local guy I talked to at the track and he had his regulator in the tail of his bike with just the standard push fittings off the regulator and he said he's never had any problems and works perfect for him. Oh well, I'm saving a bit of weight by not having that bottle on there and the regulator and stainless lines.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Was a nice day in Canada yesterday so tried out the Launch Master on a closed road :crackup:

The clutch switch is pretty much right at the grip and I'm used to letting the lever out a bit and not used to trying to hold the throttle wide open before slipping the clutch was pretty weird so launches weren't all that impressive looking.

Anybody ever tried adjusting the clutch switch at all? Probably look at it tonight or in the next few days to figure something out but if anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

The air shifter didn't work either. Could hear the box click and the solenoid for the shifter clicked too so thinking it must be tapped into a wrong wire on the launch master harness. So have to look into that too. Glad I tried it out before the first track day

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Heeeeey.... you've got a light out! :lol:

As far as adjusting the clutch switch, I don't think that's a possibility. I had to take mine apart this weekend because the actuating assembly was stuck which was making my bike think I had the clutch out non-stop so I couldn't engage my launch control. So I cleaned it and still had the same problem. It is mounted on there with two screws that screw into the perch and then there is an alignment piece on there to make sure you've got it on in the right position.

Looked at my aftermarket levers (CRG carbon fiber shorties) and the little metal tab that goes on the actuating shaft wasn't coming off far enough to signal clutch in/clutch out. So I had to put the adjustment all the way forward so when I pull the clutch in it now makes enough gap to let the switch open/close. May be something to look at.

But same thing here, seems like the clutch wants to slip a little now when letting out, before hand I had the clutch set to where there was little to no slip. It's like having to relearn how to ride the damn bike haha. I feel like a newbie when taking off at a light; the bike revs up and I take off all slow haha.

61 - 80 of 248 Posts