Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hell ya man! Congrats on that 8 second pass. That's awesome.

Love that rolling shot, and nice kill with the Chevelle :)
Thanks!! You going out any more this year to try and get that 8 second pass?

I was looking at the few videos I had from my gopro and my friend took. Videos aren't all that great but try to upload them in the next day or two to keep me busy. Did get a funny screen shot out of one of the videos though lol

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^That's a wicked shot lol! Saw the video you uploaded today with a CBR, that was a nice wheelie lol.

Going to try again for this weekend, but the weather has been shit the past 2 months here. It sucks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
First time I've seen this thread. Congrats on the 8 second passes. Im hoping to make it out to BIR one of these days, but I prefer the road course over the strip.

Next spring, I'm hoping to get the bike tuned because its running lean and the power seems lower then it should be. Had the dyno break-in done at Boni motorsports and the dyno pull afterwards was a bit on the low side. I think it was around 157hp at 12k rpms. I dont think the last 2k rpm's would have seen that typical 175-180hp that we normally see. Bike had ECU flash, link pipe and akra exhaust on it at 0 miles for dyno break-in.

I will have to catch up with you some time at BIR next summer (if we ever get one with this weather).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
^That's a wicked shot lol! Saw the video you uploaded today with a CBR, that was a nice wheelie lol.

Going to try again for this weekend, but the weather has been shit the past 2 months here. It sucks.
Thanks! Lol I was kind of bummed I let it come down so hard. I did the same thing two weeks ago at the same track but was able to ride it out and let it come down nice and smooth.

Good luck when you do go back to the track, always nice to have a little colder temps when going racing, as long as the track hooks! :thumbsup:

First time I've seen this thread. Congrats on the 8 second passes. Im hoping to make it out to BIR one of these days, but I prefer the road course over the strip.

Next spring, I'm hoping to get the bike tuned because its running lean and the power seems lower then it should be. Had the dyno break-in done at Boni motorsports and the dyno pull afterwards was a bit on the low side. I think it was around 157hp at 12k rpms. I dont think the last 2k rpm's would have seen that typical 175-180hp that we normally see. Bike had ECU flash, link pipe and akra exhaust on it at 0 miles for dyno break-in.

I will have to catch up with you some time at BIR next summer (if we ever get one with this weather).
Thank you! I think I would love to road race it but it seems like its a lot more expensive and kind of wrecks street riding from a few buddies who have gotten into racing.

Yea that does seem a bit low for those mods. I thought John and Cass made mid 180's on St. Boni's dyno with very similar mods. Guess those were numbers after being tuned which probably helped a bit. I'd be curious to see what you make after being tuned in the spring. I kind of want to throw mine back on the dyno with a clean air filter and the tune from the autotune and see if I picked up any power.

I usually only head up to BIR for the Proving Grounds event, if you're up there definitely share a beer and zx10 stories lol :eek:ccasion1

Nice numbers Brad!
Thanks John! Too bad we never got the chance to go for a ride this year

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thank you! I think I would love to road race it but it seems like its a lot more expensive and kind of wrecks street riding from a few buddies who have gotten into racing.
Yeah I have done a few track days and one race weekend on my gsxr600. I went from putting 8k miles on my bike a year down to less then 1k miles a year after going on the track. It isnt the same anymore after the rush of the track. I just about decided to sell it and not buy another bike but the wife wouldnt let me. So, I bought a zx-10r and gave the 600 to her. It has brought some enjoyment back into riding on the streets, but now I constantly stress about her riding.

John and Cassidy are also partially to blame for me buying the zx-10r... :heyyou:

Anyways, back on topic... Looking to see some faster runs next year!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah I have done a few track days and one race weekend on my gsxr600. I went from putting 8k miles on my bike a year down to less then 1k miles a year after going on the track. It isnt the same anymore after the rush of the track. I just about decided to sell it and not buy another bike but the wife wouldnt let me. So, I bought a zx-10r and gave the 600 to her. It has brought some enjoyment back into riding on the streets, but now I constantly stress about her riding.

John and Cassidy are also partially to blame for me buying the zx-10r... :heyyou:

Like Jeff.... He said he only wants to do track now.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Thats the kind of thing I'd be nervous about that same thing happening. I think even with just getting a little older I think a lot more about what would happen if I went down doing some of the stupid shit I've done on the street.

Cool to have your wife into riding too! Hope to find one like that someday lol.

Like Jeff.... He said he only wants to do track now.
I'll stay stretched and on a drag radial when riding with Jeff so I have an excuse why I can't keep up lol.

I think that's two people now that can blame you and Cass for getting a zx10. When you guys made about the same power on pump gas as my r1 on a 40 shot and every bolt on I could buy, it just seemed silly not to get one if I ever got a new bike:thumbsup:

Fastest video I got from last weekend. Thought it had the video from the swing arm on this video but I guess I fail at editing/saving videos lol

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ordered a couple goodies over the winter and got around to installing my Catalyst drag seat. I thought it would've taken me a few minutes to drill a couple holes with a dremel and bolt it on. Several hours later I got it where I'm pretty happy with it. I'm using the two back bolt locations on the seat (where the bolts where the side tail fairings bolt) then just using velcro on the bottom of the seat and on the gas tank mount as a front mount.

Also had to sand down the back a bit to be able to get the passenger seat on and off.

Saved a little less than a 1lb with seat an lowered the seat about 1" over the stock one.

Also think I figured out how to mount my Powercommander screen so I can watch my A/F ratio while doing pulls or while on the track if I can look down at it. I'll run the wire when its torn apart for installing some velocity stacks :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^Awesome man!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Watched the video. What gearing are you at? Seems like your shifting into 6th gear right before the line.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
^Awesome man!
Thanks!!

Watched the video. What gearing are you at? Seems like your shifting into 6th gear right before the line.
Its a 16/44 (-1/+5) gearing. You thinking I could put a bit more gearing in it?

Got a ballistic battery the other day and didn't save as much weight as I was thinking it would.

Also got some DEI Reflect-a-gold to wrap my airbox with, hopefully I'll remember to take some pictures as I go and post them up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Also got some DEI Reflect-a-gold to wrap my airbox with, hopefully I'll remember to take some pictures as I go and post them up.
Im looking forward to this myself, considering doing it on mine but wondering if the time and money are really worth it. Make sure to take some pictures during installation and the prep work, id like to know all of the work that goes into such details that dont get seen by anyone but the owner.

Im not a drag strip guy at all, but with the updates and pictures or parts installs this has been a pretty good read. Makes me wish summer would come quicker so I could get working on my bike.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Im looking forward to this myself, considering doing it on mine but wondering if the time and money are really worth it. Make sure to take some pictures during installation and the prep work, id like to know all of the work that goes into such details that dont get seen by anyone but the owner.

Im not a drag strip guy at all, but with the updates and pictures or parts installs this has been a pretty good read. Makes me wish summer would come quicker so I could get working on my bike.
Thanks, I hate reading build threads with no pictures so I try to remember to take as many pictures as I can remember. Plus, sometimes its nice just for me to come back and look at what I did since I have a memory of an ant.

I spent $100.24 for two rolls of the DEI tape from amazon. Seemed the cheapest I could find it in a few minute search.

A guy I was talking to said he used 1.5 rolls of this to use on his airbox and the underside of his gas tank. I guess the underside of the gas tank is nice to have as well to help keep fuel cooler. I know VP says on their website to line the underside of the tank with heat reflective tape when running MR12, so it has to have some benefit.

I'll try and take pictures and post up any tips I can think of as I do it!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Thanks!!

Its a 16/44 (-1/+5) gearing. You thinking I could put a bit more gearing?

Hey, how much 1/8 mile do you run? Is this a dedicated track bike?
I have used 15\44 and was at the very top of 6th but I was and still am footshifting and went 9.08.
Also have used 15/41 and was at the top of 5th, footshifting and ran 8.99.

Depending on how much money you want to spend and if you have any other sprockets laying around. It would try 15/41-43. The 15- 41 was perfect for me in the 1/8 & 1/4.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hey, how much 1/8 mile do you run? Is this a dedicated track bike?
I have used 1544 and was at the very top of 6th but I was and still am footshifting and went 9.08.
Also have used 15/41 and was at the top of 5th, footshifting and ran 8.99.

Depending on how much money you want to spend and if you have any other sprockets laying around. It would try 15/41-43. The 15- 41 was perfect for me in the 1/8 & 1/4.
I've never raced just 1/8th mile. The 1/4 track is just as close to me and usually the same price, so I'd rather go the full 1/4 since I really like winding it out. I'd like to think it's more of a street bike, but with the gearing, stretch and not being able to hook up on a street tire it probably wont see a lot of regular street riding.

I'd be willing to throw a bit of money at gearing if it'd help out my launches/times. I'm sure this is a dumb question, but wouldn't 16/44 be the same as 15/41? I always heard that -1 in the front was about +3 in the back :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I've never raced just 1/8th mile. The 1/4 track is just as close to me and usually the same price, so I'd rather go the full 1/4 since I really like winding it out. I'd like to think it's more of a street bike, but with the gearing, stretch and not being able to hook up on a street tire it probably wont see a lot of regular street riding.

I'd be willing to throw a bit of money at gearing if it'd help out my launches/times. I'm sure this is a dumb question, but wouldn't 16/44 be the same as 15/41? I always heard that -1 in the front was about +3 in the back :dontknow:
I gotcha man... It is close to 3-1 but more like 2.75-1.
Believe it or not that .25 is a huge difference at the end of the 1/8 or 1/4 mile.
I went from 15/44 finishing at the top of 4th gear (1/8) and 6th gear (1/4). But thought about eliminating 1 shift, so I tried 16/43 as a starting point and after talking to Matt D on the forum. Went racing with it and I was in 3rd gear but had alot of room after the finish line before hitting the limiter to shift into 4th gear. So I wanted to go abit more aggressive but not too much. From there I went to 15/41 and I finish right at the top of 3rd gear in the 1/8 and top of 5th in 1/4.

16/44 is 2.75 gear ratio
16/43 is 2.69 gear ratio
15/41 is 2.73 gear ratio
15/44 is 2.93 gear ratio

It does not take much to move you forward or backward by 200-300 feet with a single tooth change in the rear.

Depending on what gear you want to finish it on would go something like:
15-42 2.80
15-43 2.87
That would making coming off the line abit easier with more aggressive gearing and you would be farther back from the finish line when shifting into 6th gear.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Looking good Brad, hopefully get to see it this summer.
Hopefully can make it out to a few events and hang out. Been a long time since we've all hung out.

I gotcha man... It is close to 3-1 but more like 2.75-1.
Believe it or not that .25 is a huge difference at the end of the 1/8 or 1/4 mile.
I went from 15/44 finishing at the top of 4th gear (1/8) and 6th gear (1/4). But thought about eliminating 1 shift, so I tried 16/43 as a starting point and after talking to Matt D on the forum. Went racing with it and I was in 3rd gear but had alot of room after the finish line before hitting the limiter to shift into 4th gear. So I wanted to go abit more aggressive but not too much. From there I went to 15/41 and I finish right at the top of 3rd gear in the 1/8 and top of 5th in 1/4.

16/44 is 2.75 gear ratio
16/43 is 2.69 gear ratio
15/41 is 2.73 gear ratio
15/44 is 2.93 gear ratio

It does not take much to move you forward or backward by 200-300 feet with a single tooth change in the rear.

Depending on what gear you want to finish it on would go something like:
15-42 2.80
15-43 2.87
That would making coming off the line abit easier with more aggressive gearing and you would be farther back from the finish line when shifting into 6th gear.

Hope this helps.....
Thats really interesting, I didn't know any of that. Thank you!

I was talking to a guy on Psychobike who is running 15/43 and said he is going through the traps on the limiter in 6th. He was saying his bike didn't leave as hard on a 16/45 as it does on the 15/43.

Seems like a 15/42 would probably be a pretty good combo and a bit more aggressive than what I have now. Just have to debate if it'd be worth the money to try the new setup or put that money towards some ceramic bearings...

Is there any truth behind running a smaller front sprocket and losing hp? I know I've got a few friends that say that but don't know how much I really believe them.

41 - 60 of 248 Posts