Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice thread! Nice bike! Tasteful mods! Subbed!

Do you have your back brake caliper off?
Thanks man! I had it off for maybe a picture or two when I first put the swing arm on, but put one on to make sure I didn't have any problems passing tech. Never had one on my r1 and passed tech but it wasn't as fast

It can be... although it will only make ~1/2 as much power as it would be without a specific tune. Just dumping it in you'll gain ~5WHP. With specific tuning, it will net you another ~3-5WHP.
:eek:ccasion1

Nice passes man! Definitely getting there!
Thanks!! Trying to do a rider weight mod over the winter too. Got a little bit of gut, maybe 10lbs, that I could lose before I can justify spending money on light weight stuff

·
Grease Monkey Bandit
929 Posts
Thanks man! I had it off for maybe a picture or two when I first put the swing arm on, but put one on to make sure I didn't have any problems passing tech. Never had one on my r1 and passed tech but it wasn't as fast

Thanks!! Trying to do a rider weight mod over the winter too. Got a little bit of gut, maybe 10lbs, that I could lose before I can justify spending money on light weight stuff
Right on, was wondering because I just ditched my rear caliper and ordered a spacer that replaces the bracket and then you can delete the rotor as well.

You and me both, good luck man!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Went and put a bit of pump gas in it last night and put a tiny bit more slack in the lever and clutch didn't seem to be slipping at all after a few high gear pulls. Even tried rolling into wot from higher gears and no slipping till redline. So hopefully it's good to go as I plan on going to the track on Saturday. :mrgreen:

Right on, was wondering because I just ditched my rear caliper and ordered a spacer that replaces the bracket and then you can delete the rotor as well.

You and me both, good luck man!
Chicken and veggie diet along with going back to the gym started on Monday lol. Beer and burgers are so much better though lol

You get the DME one?

After thinking about it a bit I think I'd need to keep my caliper bracket/rotor. The gen4 uses the rotor for speed so don't know if theres a way around it. Seems like a good way to save a few lbs though!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You could probably modify the hangar to remove the caliper and keep the TC sensor. You only need the ring that's on top of the rotor not the rotor itself. You'd have to make up some spacers for the ring so it keeps the right spacing with the sensor.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It can be... although it will only make ~1/2 as much power as it would be without a specific tune. Just dumping it in you'll gain ~5WHP. With specific tuning, it will net you another ~3-5WHP.
Yeup! I did a dump in test today. Ended up gaining pretty much 5whp across the whole rpm range lol! Leaned the AFR almost half a point. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You could probably modify the hangar to remove the caliper and keep the TC sensor. You only need the ring that's on top of the rotor not the rotor itself. You'd have to make up some spacers for the ring so it keeps the right spacing with the sensor.
I think that would work but I don't know if it'd be worth it. I kind of want to remove one of the front rotors/calipers as those are bigger and seem like it'd cut a bit more weight than removing the back. If I did that I'd want a rear brake as a back up just in case

Nice ride!!!
Thank you!

Yeup! I did a dump in test today. Ended up gaining pretty much 5whp across the whole rpm range lol! Leaned the AFR almost half a point. Not bad at all.
Damn, thats awesome!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I think BOOSTED was right about my clutch slipping on that video against the busa.

Put mr12 in it on Friday night and took it around for some tuning via my auto tuner. One pull it seemed to slip in 4th but I freaked out and adjusted the clutch lever right away. Then couldn't replicate it and seemed to be ok. So I loaded it up on the trailer and went to the track on Saturday (9/27/14) to see what it could do with the race gas, lower profile front tire and less kill time in the air shifter. I had high hopes for at least better than my 9.2's i've been running.:helmet:

Passes go from right to left as time goes on. First two are on the right and last two where the clutch seemed to slip but still made a halfway decent pass are the left

I know my 60' suck on all of them, especially the first two but I claim that was the first two passes of the day lol. 3rd pass was a really impressive wheelie from what my two buddies said that saw it halfway down the track and a few people that came up to talk to me after the pass lol. Then when I thought the launches felt decent, left two slips, the bike had worse et's and mph.

Guess my two questions:
Could my clutch slip enough to still let me run 9.22 @ 150 on mr12? Best before was 9.24 @ 149 with similar 60'. Trap speed didn't even increase a whole mph between 87 pump gas and mr12. It trapped high 149 and low 150, thought that difference could've been from lower kill time and different shifting points

What is a good clutch to go with? APE? KG? Cycle Concepts?

On the trailer going home with a toasted clutch. At least it was still the fastest thing out at the track that day

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Lookin at the slips,mph dont look like your clutch is slipin maybe just got hot between runs are needs adjusted. Lil trick i do between runs is zip tie clutch lever to bar, unscrew oil filler cap and put key there so you no tighten cap up this will let air enter between plates while your waitin also run lil more slack in clutch cable when your at the track to prevent clutch failure.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I do the zip tie trick but didnt take off the oil cap. Should do that next time though as I always did that with my r1. Tried to let it cool down for at least 20min between runs too.

Last pass felt ok on the launch but 3rd seemed to go by really fast so as soon as I got out of it, the rpms dropped 2k, did the same in 4th so I just have up on that run and loaded it up. I got home and took it out to put regular pump gas in it I tried a 4th gear pull and it slipped real bad. Could still get it home but slipped in the high rpms at wot.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I had no change in performance either man with the Mr12 pour in. Going to get a map selector and do a tune with it for next season. Only thing I noticed was better throttle response.

Did you do pump gas runs at all that day? Then took out the pump and ran mr12?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I had no change in performance either man with the Mr12 pour in. Going to get a map selector and do a tune with it for next season. Only thing I noticed was better throttle response.

Did you do pump gas runs at all that day? Then took out the pump and ran mr12?
When I looked at the logs my autotune added a good amount of fuel on top of my 87 map. I could post up my before and after map numbers if you'd want.

I didn't run any pump gas through it that day at the track, but I do like that idea to run both gases to see if it actually increased trap speed or helped et. I'll have to try that next time I go to the track :eek:ccasion1

Ordered up a cycle concepts clutch on Monday but don't think I'll be able to make it out to a track this weekend due to other plans. I do plan on going to the track on the 11th or 12th though. And if that doesn't go well there is one on the 18th down in Iowa that I could always make if it doesn't snow by then lol.

Might try dropping the forks a bit more since it looks stock with the low profile front tire and fender lowered without strapped. If it's strapped pretty hard it looks pretty good/low. Think the lower the better for launching.

I think I'm going to try a different launching technique next time too. I've been slipping the clutch just a hair and using my feet to hold the bike back then launching. Might try a few launching with my feet back and try to get more weight over the front since I have the air shifter I don't have to worry about getting my feet up right away.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^Oh you were running autotune. I went from 12.9-13.1 afr to 13.5+AFR with the Mr12 in.

Good luck again man. Look forward to seeing the new results.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
^Thanks, hopefully can improve on the time a bit!

Tried installing my Cycle Concepts clutch last night. By the time I got done it was too late to start it up and make sure everything worked. I'll try starting it as soon as I get home from work today and I'm crossing my fingers it's good to go.

Stock it seemed to have two 2.2mm steels and the rest 2.9mm in it vs the clutch kit I got was one 2.6mm and the rest were 2.9mm. When I put the new plates/fibers together outside of the basket they measured out to 53.6mm, so I think I'm good to go. At least I hope so.

Also got some Yoshi mirror block off from Riders Discount for a calendar photoshoot I was able to get in.

]

As long as the clutch works I plan on going back to the track on Saturday and hope for another personal best.

Edit: Clutch seems to work just fine.

Most of the steels were pretty burnt up and beat looking and so were the fibers

I think this might be clutch material?

Good thing I changed out the oil and got some nice Motul 7100 in there!

Nice tools makes everything easier. I got these clutch pick tools from Schnitz a few years ago when I had my r1. The pick is nice to get the fibers out and the other end is a magnet to it pulls the steels out nice and easy too.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^My clutch looked similar when I changed it lol

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Made it out to the local track on Saturday and clutch worked great! It was a test and tune day so racing started around 9 and ended around 4:40ish. All the cars left early but the few bikes stuck it out till the end and I'm glad I did :mrgreen:

Ended up hooking after dumping the clutch a little too quick on one run and sent the thing straight to the sky lol

Was pretty much stuck in the 9.0 range for a good chunk of the day. Towards the end I tried a different technique of laying on the tank more with my feet behind me and it worked a lot better for me. First pass with that it cracked off a 8.99. 2nd pass it did 8.98 to back it up and the 3rd pass it was too low on gas and bucked on the launch lol.

I yelled a big yaaaaaaahooooooooo when I got my slip and did a uncoordinated dance on the bike on the way back to the pits lol.

With some mr12 left and not wanting to waste it, bike tried to find a race and found one with some chevelle that beats liter bike all the time...

Cleaned it up the next day and a buddy did a little photoshoot with it and then had another buddy doing rolling shots

Bike is now in storage at a buddys place about a hour and a half away. Might get a drag shock over the winter depending how much I can be a hermit and save money. Also going to try and lose 15lbs over the winter, rather get rid of my gut than spend money taking weight off the bike lol

Let me know if the pictures are too big and I can save them and upload them to photobucket or something. Just stole the url's from facebook

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Hell ya man! Congrats on that 8 second pass. That's awesome.

Love that rolling shot, and nice kill with the Chevelle :)

21 - 40 of 248 Posts