Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
^Very interesting and that makes sense! I had my injectors cleaned in January of '18 as I remember the guy called to talk to me about my stuck shut injector when I was still in the hospital after my little guy was born. He went through the injector and got them all flowing the same. I dropped off my injectors last night with the local guy, just to be sure they are a 100% :)

Also picked up my exhaust header pipes and muffler from getting the wideband bungs welded on. Hope it to get a good tune in it with all 4 cylinders from the muffler like normal with the BMC race filter and get some draggy times. Then I want to swap in the MWR WSBK filter and start tuning by cylinder.

Hopefully can get out in the garage a bit tonight. Kind of want to get the side winder on but we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Its not possible to adjust flow on any Bosch bike injector. If there now miraculously flowing equal he has matched them, ie swapped some of yours with other sets, and he will have charged you appropriately, but if he hasn't, I'm sorry But that's not right what has telling you. Very rarely will you get more than 2 in a set flowing the same, if your using good equipment. Gaz knows a good guy over there maybe he can help.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Its not possible to adjust flow on any Bosch bike injector. If there now miraculously flowing equal he has matched them, ie swapped some of yours with other sets, and he will have charged you appropriately, but if he hasn't, I'm sorry But that's not right what has telling you. Very rarely will you get more than 2 in a set flowing the same, if your using good equipment. Gaz knows a good guy over there maybe he can help.
Man I don't know where the sheet is that he sent that had the flows, maybe I'll get time to find it but I think the new guy will give me a sheet too. I don't think they all flowed exactly the same but I remember them being pretty darn close to the 330cc mark. Close enough that at that time I didn't think twice about putting them back in a certain way. I know he replaced some filters but did nothing to change the flow of the injector.

I'll have my new guy tell me what each flowed and break it out so I can do what you told me to do as that does make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I appreciate your plans for tuning, whole host of mods, head and system particularly will make current lean, i would dyno tune 1&4 then 3&4 in there pairs, and then you would notice individual tuning a lot simpler and quicker because i can guarantee you wont have to trim much more than 1% at any position across the 4 cylinders if the port work is even which im sure it is being Gaz. Individual tuning is timely and hard on engine from a straight 4 tune, in a big build like yours i get the tuner to power run both pairs then adjust rough percentage before complete tune of the 2 as it protects the new build better. If you individually tuned after the pair you would find no in balance after other mods such as different air filter, to many folks claim no gains or even losses after venturi swaps etc, the biggest difference being they fail to tune in pairs or individually. I am really interested to see how well this package works.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
I was able to get a little bit done in the garage last night. Got the sidewinder on and new swing arm on. I was hopeful that at 170 link chain I wouldn't have to cut it and just throw a master link on, guess I was wrong on that lol. Hope to get out in the garage tonight and make some more progress. Hope I can get far enough that if I get my injectors back tomorrow night I just have to install the throttle bodies and all the other stuff on top of that so I can start it on Friday and hope to get the tune dialed in enough to make it to the track on Saturday.

Wish the Brock's exhaust came like this stock

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
I appreciate your plans for tuning, whole host of mods, head and system particularly will make current lean, i would dyno tune 1&4 then 3&4 in there pairs, and then you would notice individual tuning a lot simpler and quicker because i can guarantee you wont have to trim much more than 1% at any position across the 4 cylinders if the port work is even which im sure it is being Gaz. Individual tuning is timely and hard on engine from a straight 4 tune, in a big build like yours i get the tuner to power run both pairs then adjust rough percentage before complete tune of the 2 as it protects the new build better. If you individually tuned after the pair you would find no in balance after other mods such as different air filter, to many folks claim no gains or even losses after venturi swaps etc, the biggest difference being they fail to tune in pairs or individually. I am really interested to see how well this package works.
Thank you for all the knowledge! I was thinking by just tuning the bike right away off all 4 cylinders like I would've done before reading too much on this forum and wasn't thinking it'd be too hard on the bike, as that seems like how most bikes are tuned are from a sniffer in the muffler.

Then once that's dialed in I was going to try swapping in the WSBK filter and when talking with MWR a bit they said to add 2% fuel to 1/4 and take away 2% from 2/3. I was thinking I'd just add 2% to 1/4 cylinders and leave 2/3 how they are. Then say if I have the wideband in cylinder 1 I'll make the fueling changes to both 1/4 per your recommendation then move it to cylinder 2 and make changes to both 2/3. Then move to 3 and changes should be minimal like you said and move to 4 and changes should be minimal as well.

We used to have a pretty good tuner that I would've liked to bring my bike to but he stopped tuning a few years ago. There is another place thats pretty good but I was hopeful that with the MWR ram air and the WSBK filter that the air/fuel would change a good bit from the dyno so I'd have to dial it in on the street anyways. Last time I asked them about a tune a year or 2 ago the price was pretty steep for a basic tune, I don't think I could stomach the cost for tuning by groups.

·
Registered
274 Posts
first thing, the main thing i want to know after cams degreed, cranked and run thru few heat cycles is compression. verifies basic engine build/cam degree is good and hp to be made. making hp thru the powerband is all about cylinder pressure. just did a basic clean up, .025 mill, cnc valve job on 07 gsxr 1000, bike came in making 155 lbs, no great power to be made there no matter what u do. fired up and run in a few times with cams just bolted back in, stk hg, compression now just over 200. 30% increase, like too see 190 min on street engine. cranking compression main indicator of torque/hp available finished up correctley. zx14's/busa bigger motors i can squeeze 220-230 out of them on stk pistons with adequate ptv. makes crazy torque/hp for accleration.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
I wish you were close by... I'd like to get a crack at tuning a set up like that to learn a few things for myself.
In theory it makes sense to me, hopefully I can't figure it out lol. A few months ago before I ordered the bungs I tried opening an old tune then opening a log file and seemed like it would take a little thought but hopefully I can figure it out quick.

first thing, the main thing i want to know after cams degreed, cranked and run thru few heat cycles is compression. verifies basic engine build/cam degree is good and hp to be made. making hp thru the powerband is all about cylinder pressure. just did a basic clean up, .025 mill, cnc valve job on 07 gsxr 1000, bike came in making 155 lbs, no great power to be made there no matter what u do. fired up and run in a few times with cams just bolted back in, stk hg, compression now just over 200. 30% increase, like too see 190 min on street engine. cranking compression main indicator of torque/hp available finished up correctley. zx14's/busa bigger motors i can squeeze 220-230 out of them on stk pistons with adequate ptv. makes crazy torque/hp for accleration.
I actually just got my compression tester back from a buddy last weekend. I'll be sure to get some compression numbers, hopefully its decent!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Got a bit done again last night in the garage. Got the chain installed, radiator on and most hoses hooked up. The flat pan doesn't use the oil cooler so I have to get a hose from the store today to loop those connections. Got most of the wiring I could all plugged back in and tried to make the wiring lay a bit flatter. When I installed the key eliminator it didn't sit super flat so I got that not looking as much of a rats nest as well as some of the wires for the woolich. Also reran the wide band and got that hooked back up. Need to get a t fitting for the swing arm though as the guy I bought it from left the gauge in the swing arm and I like that idea instead of it being in the tail. That way I can double check the gauge right before the run to make sure I didn't forget to air up or didn't develop a leak for some reason. So I was just going to T to run my air chuck valve and the line to the shifter.

Injector guy said he got my injectors done last night too so I'll be getting those tonight so should be able to button the bike up. Getting closer day by day.

Also caved and sent my airbox to to ejr for the airbox mod. I was going to do it myself but for the amount of time it would've taken me to do it, figured it was worth it to me to just send it out.

Hopefully it starts and runs tomorrow :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
first thing, the main thing i want to know after cams degreed, cranked and run thru few heat cycles is compression.
The only thing I hate about this is elevation. My static altitude is 4500+, and my DA is never any better... my static cranking numbers always make me feel like trash, no matter what I'm working on. :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can tell only props for the airbox mod and the XXL ram intake. Bike is feeling much more violent now. Second gear power wheelies are much more violent than before. Can't tell AFR because my o2 sensor died and waiting for the new one. Butt dyno tells me - hell yeah!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
C3L1CA,

you would have spent half the money with my mechanic.... doing the mood... I have a few boxes here laying around, you would just have to wrap it...

And yes it takes a lot of work to do that mood.

looks good by the way

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
I can tell only props for the airbox mod and the XXL ram intake. Bike is feeling much more violent now. Second gear power wheelies are much more violent than before. Can't tell AFR because my o2 sensor died and waiting for the new one. Butt dyno tells me - hell yeah!
Good to hear! Hopefully the afr is still in check as it sounds like its getting a lot more fuel!

C3L1CA,

you would have spent half the money with my mechanic.... doing the mood... I have a few boxes here laying around, you would just have to wrap it...

And yes it takes a lot of work to do that mood.

looks good by the way
I almost sent you a PM but then wasn't sure if it'd be too big of a pain in the butt. Good to know for next time or anybody that sees this thread:thumbsup:

Bad news on my bike though. I started it on 4/18 late at night to make sure it started without issues as I was hoping to make a track day on the 20th. Bike started and let it idle for a minute and everything seemed good. Finished putting everything back together on Friday and was doing some street tuning and things from my old tune had it pretty close, I threw more fuel up top before making pulls and it was actually rich in some areas. Did a rebuild on the front caliper too as it seemed to be dragging more than I would've liked when putting it all back together.

Went to a good friday thing at church, picked up some fresh 93 on the way home and skipped going out to eat with the inlaws. Came home, did a little rip and it seemed to be quick. On the old hookup it spun in 2nd once it hit the powerband. In draggy i was able to get a 3.93 second 60-130 starting in 3rd. I was kind of glad it broke into the 3s starting in 3rd as seems most guys who are in the 3s are probably starting in 1st.

I was out doing one last log and did a 4th gear pull and just hit the limiter for a split second shut down and at the light right after getting off the highway it sounded like it was making some sort of noise. Got going a bit and bike just died. I was able to coast down the road to a side road and I did start the bike up for a second just to see if it would then shut it down quick as it didn't sound right. All the mods to reduce rolling resistance made it a pretty easy task to roll the thing to the gas station half mile down the road :crackup:

Think the little guy liked the green and it was growing on me with the side winder too for some reason. At least the guy at the gas station said the bike got a lot of attention and lots of people were taking pictures of it he said. Felt weird leaving it somewhere with no head lights, no key/ignition and no plate lol.

And here is where its been sitting since 4/19.

With working on it every night for a week kind of burnt me out and have some stuff to do around the house. Kind of want to weigh it for fun before start taking it apart. Figure first thing is to pull the timing cover and see if it turns over by hand. Oil in the sight glass still looked good. Hopefully its nothing major, otherwise I might see what I can sell to just get another motor in there and make it to a track day in the fall.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
"otherwise I might see what I can sell to just get another motor in there and make it to a track day in the fall"
Less of the negative waves mirrorony! Im sure itll be something simple it looked like a well worked out build that :nerd: It will be Fine :smile2:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hi mate hope your well!did you find out what caused the bike to shut down?you did say you got to a petrol station but I'm curious to no!
thanks in advance

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
I still haven't dug into the bike yet. The week after it happened just had too much stuff going on with getting ready to go on vacation and I'll be out of town until next week. Tempted to see if I can get a weight on it even though it has a pretty full tank then see if I can turn it over by hand and then maybe pull a plug and see how that looks.

I've been talking about making a few nightstands for our bedroom and tv stand which has now turned into a cool hamper hider. Kind of want to get that stuff done too to get some things off my to do list and don't want a motor open while creating sawdust in case a good chunk of it is savable.

I'll post up what I find, hopefully its good news when I get to it. Fingers crossed.

221 - 240 of 250 Posts