Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stripping this 08 ZX10R down for track. Either i have to relocate the TOS, or disconnect it. I would prefer the disconnect method.
I could do the trial & error route. But being as the bike is in the house now(no heated garage) I preffer not to have the fumes lingering around.

Any info appreciated. TIA

Never mind. Easy fix.

·
Registered
60 Posts
we dont eliminate them we just open them up and fill it up with epoxy. it has to be straight up and down when you do this

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
this must be for Track racing only...do a search I already did an Angle finder test it was at or about 70deg before the bike shuts down. I don't care how good you are you will be on the ground before that kicks in....on the down side once it kicks in you have to reset the ECU by reseting the Ignition. I believe that's why some of you want to eliminate? :dontknow:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
this must be for Track racing only...do a search I already did an Angle finder test it was at or about 70deg before the bike shuts down. I don't care how good you are you will be on the ground before that kicks in....on the down side once it kicks in you have to reset the ECU by reseting the Ignition. I believe that's why some of you want to eliminate? :dontknow:
maybe for weight savings??? lol I just thought of another mod to do :p:thumbsup: j/k I want my bike to shut off when its laying on its side if it ever falls over.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^I hope the corner workers will do that(shut off the bike).
Many EASY fixes. I pulled the little round wheel out of the unit. The bike will not run if we unplug it completely.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah I know its a 3 wire plug, power runs in one and out the other and if the 3rd wire is triggered with the wheel it will shut it off. you could prob unplug it and run a simple wire jumper to it as well.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Open up the sensor, take the little trigger "wheel" out of the unit, and put it back together. After that it will always read open/pass regardless of it's vertical orientation (ie you can put it anywhere that the harness will reach).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a note. Eliminating the TOS can or could be a costly venture. As Blue said. The bike will not ever shut off while tracking or racing. Even better what Garth said. If you do fall off. U do want your bike to shut off. It cost one rider I know a motor when he went off the track with his throttle stuck wide open.

·
Registered
26 Posts
:bump:

So, how are we relocating these things so they're still operational? I have a GEN3 that I need to move or disable this sensor so my SS tail will fit

·
Registered
772 Posts
If you removed every sensor on the bike it would do nothing for weight,I prob know more about weight savings on a ZX-10 then anybody on this forum.simply relocate it if its in the way.the harness is where the weight is.sections of the harness can be removed for racing applications.im with everybody else on this one....keep it in there...for the few grams that it weighs its worth having on the safety end of things.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Just a note. Eliminating the TOS can or could be a costly venture. As Blue said. The bike will not ever shut off while tracking or racing. Even better what Garth said. If you do fall off. U do want your bike to shut off. It cost one rider I know a motor when he went off the track with his throttle stuck wide open.
I know that guy too, this thread was expensive lol.

There is absolutely no reason to DC this for roadracing. Your bike WILL not shut off mid corner.

I bought a bike that had this done to it. When the bike went down it did not turn off. In the end it cost me a motor. The crank, and rods were scored when the bike was starved for oil on its side. Don't let this happen to you kids.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
"I prob know more about weight savings on a ZX-10 then anybody on this forum" -- That's just an awesome statement.

I moved mine because it would not fit in its proper orientation with my uber-short streetfighter tail... and on this bike all my add-on stuff lives in its place and I just don't have a good place to put it where it can be upright. I took the wheel out of it and tucked it in a crevice of the battery tray out of the way.

If I crash it I know the consequences. :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know that guy too, this thread was expensive lol.

There is absolutely no reason to DC this for roadracing. Your bike WILL not shut off mid corner.

I bought a bike that had this done to it. When the bike went down it did not turn off. In the end it cost me a motor. The crank, and rods were scored when the bike was starved for oil on its side. Don't let this happen to you kids.

Sorry :redface::pale:

But, had the throttle not stuck open(which wasnt my fault) a normal crash(is there such a thing?) would not have wrecked that motor :rolleyes: :smile:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sorry :redface::pale:

But, had the throttle not stuck open(which wasnt my fault) a normal crash(is there such a thing?) would not have wrecked that motor :rolleyes: :smile:
True story John. Could not have had worse luck on that one. Now I have a TOS that works, a Pitbull restraint, and I don't ride on a track that has bogs :mrgreen:

Now thats learning for ya haha. BTW, I still have your super sweet zx10 tuning laptop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After a couple hours thinking about this, last night while watching TV... It finally dawned on me what I needed to do. So here are some pictures of the process I took:

I found this 3' piece of steel in the "fastners" isle of Home Depot... exactly what I had mentally pictured and stoked I was able to find it!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I cut it to length and bent the edges back. I mounted it using the same location as the tool tray/bracket that originally held the TOS. I just screwed the bolts going from the inside out

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts