Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, just wanted to share my feelings, i just put my 05 10 up for sale, but why you ask? I have been riding for a little over 2 and a half years, putting a total of 20,000 miles on 2 bikes that i have owned (02 r6, and my 10) and have ridden both bikes verrrrry hard. i am 27yrs old and have a little brother 16 yrs younger than me and he means the world to me. (like a child that i dont have yet) And it would kill me inside if i was takin off this earth for something like a car pulling in front of me, or me just having one little mishap while traveling at triple digit speeds (we all do it). I witnessed a accident a couple days ago and it made me realize that going down once at the wrong location and the wrong time i could end up without a limb or even a vegtable and not be able to share the wonderful life that i have been given with my brother. So i have decided to say farewell to the sport of sportbike riding....i would like to say goodbye, and to anyone that has helped me out on this forum...your rock....this is the best forum that i have found with alot of good people.....i will still be checking in...even if i dont have a bike....

sincerly, Graham

:hello:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
hmm, I respect that. Being a "grown up" a lot of things come into play. Wait a minute! My son is 16! But again, only you know what is right in your situation. Good luck.

·
Funshine Bear
2,686 Posts
I respect your decision. I understand what seeing an accident can do. I was in an accident that someone died. I didn't drive for months. Good luck.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I struggle with the thought of leaving behind my mom, I'm her only son. I know she'll be financially okay, but there's nothing like having a relative who plays an active part in your life when you get old...trust me, I'm a paramedic, the crash doesn't scare me, it's what would happen to my mom when she gets a little older.

Long story short, I respect your decision man, your a bigger man than I am. I think if people depend on you, you should ride around in the biggest cage possible.

·
Registered
250 Posts
First Off...I think we ALL respect your decision to stop riding. I wish you well!!!

Although we all make decisions in life based on different things we have seen or were involved in, I can tell you that I sometimes think "What If", and shortly after thinking that, I quickly remind myself that I have but one life to live. By no means do I plan on making an early exit on life or try to live too far beyond my limits...In fact, I hope to live till 100. I just realize that when I'm out on my bikes or doing something that everyone else considers dangerous, I do my own personal risk assessments and try and operate within my limits. I also feel like for every mistake (3 street bike accidents that were ALL my fault due to hot dogging it) I have made, I have learned and progress'd forward and have never made the SAME costly mistake twice.

All my kids ride MX and I used to wonder if I was not being as protective of a Parent as I should be. I had to re-evaluate myself, after all, it's not just MY life I'm dealing with, it's theirs, and that would devestate me if something happened to them because of my decision. I even offered them a substantial amount of money just to see if they would bite, well they looked at me like I was out-of-my-mind! They basically told me to pack sand! I also remember when I was a kid their age, we did it for the love and adrenalin. So I decided I wont take that away from them, but I will make sure they are set up for success...I teach them to wear their protective gear at all times, slow is fast (Nobody will become a PRO overnight so ride within your limits), and to ride for EVERYONE else out there too. Because it's almost ALWAYS the "Other" guy you need to worry about.

Not that my experiences will change your mind but I just thought I would share it with you. As far as your decision, I respect it and again, WISH YOU THE BEST!!! :beer:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well said by everyone.. Good luck man!:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
211 Posts
First Off...I think we ALL respect your decision to stop riding. I wish you well!!!

Although we all make decisions in life based on different things we have seen or were involved in, I can tell you that I sometimes think "What If", and shortly after thinking that, I quickly remind myself that I have but one life to live. By no means do I plan on making an early exit on life or try to live too far beyond my limits...In fact, I hope to live till 100. I just realize that when I'm out on my bikes or doing something that everyone else considers dangerous, I do my own personal risk assessments and try and operate within my limits. I also feel like for every mistake (3 street bike accidents that were ALL my fault due to hot dogging it) I have made, I have learned and progress'd forward and have never made the SAME costly mistake twice.

All my kids ride MX and I used to wonder if I was not being as protective of a Parent as I should be. I had to re-evaluate myself, after all, it's not just MY life I'm dealing with, it's theirs, and that would devestate me if something happened to them because of my decision. I even offered them a substantial amount of money just to see if they would bite, well they looked at me like I was out-of-my-mind! They basically told me to pack sand! I also remember when I was a kid their age, we did it for the love and adrenalin. So I decided I wont take that away from them, but I will make sure they are set up for success...I teach them to wear their protective gear at all times, slow is fast (Nobody will become a PRO overnight so ride within your limits), and to ride for EVERYONE else out there too. Because it's almost ALWAYS the "Other" guy you need to worry about.

Not that my experiences will change your mind but I just thought I would share it with you. As far as your decision, I respect it and again, WISH YOU THE BEST!!! :beer:
Nice write up. I agree and good luck Graham

·
Registered
848 Posts
I feel where you comming from & I respect that decision. On the other hand, ME........I look at things like this.......EVERYBODY has a DATE. When GOD calls your name, thats it. Nothing you can do to stop it. However you go was already determined by GOD. If I die on my bike....cool. That must have been my time to go. If I die walking etc...cool, it was designed to happen that way. I just live life and when my time is up, my time is just up BUT until then...I'm going to enjoy everyday like its my last.

Bottom line is im not going to stop riding until I'm too old or unable to. More people die from smoking than anything but do people stop??? Millions of ways to go out and we all have to go some day, so enjoy life likes there is no tomorrow!

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Bottom line is im not going to stop riding until I'm too old or unable to. More people die from smoking than anything but do people stop??? Millions of ways to go out and we all have to go some day, so enjoy life likes there is no tomorrow!
I agree with this part of the statement.

Plus there's always the track, far more fun and far less dangerous than the street. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thats a hard choice to make. Good luck with all that you do and it was nice meeting/riding with you on sunday.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Graham, we had tons of fun riding..
You mentioned "sportbike riding",, are you going the cruiser route? Andy mentioned the track,,have you thought of that? I don't want to knock your decision, we all have to do what is best for us and everyone else around us.
After sunday's crash I had some of these thoughts myself. Funny thing is that Shawn was already talking about getting another bike,,,

Tough lessons,,,either way

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I appreciate your honesty here and you are a wise man. You made me really think about what has been jogging around in my mind for a while now. It may be time to go strictly track day riding. I know it is still riding, however it is much much safer and you could possibly get your younger bro to join in with you. Please don't think I am trying to push you in any way but, as I, You love this "sport".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts