Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a buzz sound from their motor? I rebuild this one 3k miles ago and its had it from day one( i bought new). It’s got 6k miles on her. it did it before and after rebuild. I have heard others make the same sound. It sounds like its coming from the generator. It’s a 05 model. But I have heard some that are quiet also.

at idle its quiet, but if I free rev it on decell i hear it. It sounds like a fast resonating knock just faster and not very loud like gears chattering from backlash. It is coming from the clutch generator area. It is rpm dependent. And most predominate around 4-5k rpms. if i rev it slow I never hear it just with fast changes on rpm. Well right at 4k i can faintly hear it holding the rpms. I never hear it just riding the bike. Its kinda a rattling sound.

Has anyone found what causes it and a fix? I’m thinking backlash in the generator.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just had another 10 come in the shop that had the same sound. I wonder why some do it and some dont? I know every part of my motor is in spec. I spent 2 days with micrometers measuring when i rebuilt it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its more from the bottom end clutch area. I used to work for Kawasaki and on new bikes 4 out of 5 had that sound. It is very normal to have it what i trying to find out is why some where quiet. and how to make mine quite. I'm thinking its backlash in the generator but its in spec. I figured Garth or someone would know right off. I have built over 10 of these motors and even then its about the same some are just quiet with out the classics Kawasaki motor noise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have no idea what the solution to your problem is, but my 05 is loud too. I think I've got a buzzing coming from the air box area at 4k to 5k rpm at speed, but it could just be a vibrating body panel. It's hard to locate any small noises over the sound of the exhaust. My bike just makes a lot of noise. If it weren’t for all the other posts about noisy 1st gen 10's, I'd think something was wrong. But I just ride the crap out of it, keep up with the maintenance, and hope for the best.
Let us know if you find any thing wrong with yours. The 05's don't typically have the same generator problems as the 04's, do they?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea what the solution to your problem is, but my 05 is loud too. I think I've got a buzzing coming from the air box area at 4k to 5k rpm at speed, but it could just be a vibrating body panel. It's hard to locate any small noises over the sound of the exhaust. My bike just makes a lot of noise. If it weren’t for all the other posts about noisy 1st gen 10's, I'd think something was wrong. But I just ride the crap out of it, keep up with the maintenance, and hope for the best.
Let us know if you find any thing wrong with yours. The 05's don't typically have the same generator problems as the 04's, do they?
In 05 they changed some parts to make them hold up better i have not seen a 05 with a bad generator yet.

Its defiantly the common 10r noise but some are quiet it just got me thinking why.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In 05 they changed some parts to make them hold up better i have not seen a 05 with a bad generator yet.

Its defiantly the common 10r noise but some are quiet it just got me thinking why.
10's have always been known to be raw buzzy machines compared to the rest of the litre bikes, especially the 04-05's, when I first rode an 05 I thought it pretty agricultural :crackup:
Wouldn't worry unless the noise changes..

·
Registered
502 Posts
i had this prob, and dont start throwin veggies at me if i look stupid, but have you tried putting light pressure on your ignition key when it happens? my ignition cylinder rattles 3-5k rpm but if you put slight pressure on it, it goes away. thats the only buzzin my bike makes...drove me crazy till i figured it out

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had this prob, and dont start throwin veggies at me if i look stupid, but have you tried putting light pressure on your ignition key when it happens? my ignition cylinder rattles 3-5k rpm but if you put slight pressure on it, it goes away. thats the only buzzin my bike makes...drove me crazy till i figured it out

There is a common problem with the switch rattling i forgot about that. Good post.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It is the Kawi rattle. Sounds like it is coming from the clutch area or near it. I think that is where they put the Evil inside the motor.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I believe mine has the same sound your experiencing. Sorry I gave up on trying to troubleshoot/fix it. Let us know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
They all do it once they get up to temp.. Mine was quiet as a mouse when it was cold and during warm up but once it got hot it was loud. You really notice it around 4K... That rubber mat that Kawasaki puts across the 10R motor was put there to help cover up that noise. It don't hurt anything

·
Registered
151 Posts
First gens make tons of noise. I rode a second gen and it was noticeably quieter, but like everybody said, most of these noises are normal. I have a feeling Kawasaki didn't put a lot of emphasis on sound deadening for the first gens because they were trying to keep them light. You can get rid of some of the valvetrain clatter with a manual cam chain tensioner, but other than that you should be fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts