Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the site and i have been looking for some help on buying a first bike. I can ride fairly well and am looking to start on a 600 of some type. What would be best, a CBR, Ninja, or Suzuki, and what is a good price for a used 600? I am also looking for info on bike differences, such as the difference between a zx 10, zx 12, and zx 14.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
first things first.... :welcome:
ok now that we have that behind us...what have you rode before? for me personally the difference between makes are minimal for a fairly new rider. I would sit or if you're lucky enough to ride all of the big 4 makes and see which one feels most comfortable. The deciding factor for me would be looks and comfort as they are all powerful enough.
install frame sliders immediately and good luck!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
GEAR!!! WEAR YOUR GEAR!!! A new rider is very likely to spill.

As for the 600, i think they are all good bikes. i wouldnt spend more than $3000 onmy first bike. i would get something in the year range 97-2004. and really at that level it all comes down to looks.

zx10 has 1 liter engine, zx12 has 1.2liter engine etc

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
For a first bike, buy something used, cheap, and small. It doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it is mechanically good.

Sport bikes in general are not good "first bikes".

·
Registered
312 Posts
1. Buy what is going to make you happy
2. Ride within your limits
3. Be mindful of others
4. Be safe and have fun

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Can't say anything after that ^^^

Get a used 03 zx6r 636 and call it a day for 3k or something around there...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off thx for all the replies. The bike i was riding on wasnt a sport bike i dont even know the model. I was just trying to learn the gears and how to lean and turn the bike on small turns. I have been looking for an 03, 04 CBR 600rr for around 3-$4000 but havent had much luck. I dont really know about mileage on bikes either.

·
Registered
312 Posts
First off thx for all the replies. The bike i was riding on wasnt a sport bike i dont even know the model. I was just trying to learn the gears and how to lean and turn the bike on small turns. I have been looking for an 03, 04 CBR 600rr for around 3-$4000 but havent had much luck. I dont really know about mileage on bikes either.
I think that just about all modern Japanesse bikes are built really well but you will probably find that most of the characters on here will be steering you more towards Team Green products for obvious reasons. You will probably get more user friendly info on any Kawi bikes of your choice rather than Honda IMHO. It's Just a thought since you are on a Kawi sight but good luck either way. There is tons of experience lurking around here and I'm sure many can help you with darn near any question you have. Happy hunting.

·
5,932 Posts
cbr600rr are good bikes, but your on a site where green is mean and where most only own kawasaki's

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
For a first bike, buy something used, cheap, and small. It doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it is mechanically good.

Sport bikes in general are not good "first bikes".
GEAR!!! WEAR YOUR GEAR!!! A new rider is very likely to spill.

As for the 600, i think they are all good bikes. i wouldnt spend more than $3000 onmy first bike. i would get something in the year range 97-2004. and really at that level it all comes down to looks.

zx10 has 1 liter engine, zx12 has 1.2liter engine etc
cbr600rr are good bikes, but your on a site where green is mean and where most only own kawasaki's
they do know what they are talking about....TAKE THE MSF COURSE AND WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My 1st bike cost $9500, but then again im loaded.

·
Registered
206 Posts
1. Buy what is going to make you happy
2. Ride within your limits
3. Be mindful of others
4. Be safe and have fun

I would definitely say this is the best advice. For a first sport bike that you will more than likely get tired of and just want to learn on (drop). I would say spend no more than $2k. it does not have to be show room ready. just something to work the kinks out. I bought my first bike wrecked and with hardly any fairings. by the time I sold it, I got double what I paid for it and everything was mechanically sound (mostly cosmetic damage). by the end result I made $320 off the bike. I know not much but the way I see it was that I was paid that to learn on it and dog the crap out of it!

Get a cycle trader.......have some decent deals if you are willing to drive.

·
5,932 Posts
JUICEBOX
My 1st bike cost $9500, but then again im loaded.

Your gay :lol:
You don't have to rub it in :eek:ccasion1 jp

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
HAHA, No but seriously I am loaded :spit:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The CBR's and ZX 6's are the only two i really want. I am not being picky because i'm having trouble finding one but i would prefer a ZX 6 if i could get one for cheap enough. But i hear they have the most powerful engines in the 600's and would be more expensive.

·
Registered
393 Posts
First, get through a MSF course.

Second Get Insurance Quotes!!!!! This can make buying a bike a big problem if you find you cant afford it after buying the bike. Liability is a must, comprehensive is also HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended. It should be required for sport bikes.

Also, Get health insurance. There's no faster way to completely fuck your life over than to wreck without health insurance. X-rays alone for a full body scan will run over $25,000. If you need surgery because of a broken back?-> $250,000+ easily. I know because my friend is in that situation.

Third, buy gear (BEFORE THE BIKE) That is, a snell approved full face helmet, leather jacket, leather gloves, riding boots

THEN, get the bike. You can get awesome deals on craigslist. Like everyone else said, get a not-new bike. you have a lot of learning/wrecking/dropping to do.

Don't ride beyond your limits. If you're uncomfy, you're beyond your limits and it never ends well!

I suggest a sv650 (they're really really cheap and awesome!), 03-06 zx-6r (636, not insane, but will get you into trouble quick), 03-06 CBR600RR (hondas are bullet proof, but not as powerful as kawasaki)

Anybike you get so long as it's not a GSXR will probably give no problems provided you take care of it. Abuse it and neither of you will last.

:welcome:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts