Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting the ftecu cable to play with settings on my 2018 but I bought the extended warranty and really don’t want to do anything to void it. I am wondering if I can purchase a 2nd ecu to flash at will and leave the original untouched so I can plug it back in if anything breaks in the near future and the dealer won’t know. I’ve heard mixed opinions on flashing voiding warranty.
Will a second ecu effectively hide my tinkering?
Any recommendations on a reputable source for a used ecu?
Will the new one have to be from an ABS model (mine has abs) if I’m going to flash it right away anyway?
Thanks!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,666 Posts
I am interested in getting the ftecu cable to play with settings on my 2018 but I bought the extended warranty and really don’t want to do anything to void it. I am wondering if I can purchase a 2nd ecu to flash at will and leave the original untouched so I can plug it back in if anything breaks in the near future and the dealer won’t know. I’ve heard mixed opinions on flashing voiding warranty.
Will a second ecu effectively hide my tinkering?
Any recommendations on a reputable source for a used ecu?
Will the new one have to be from an ABS model (mine has abs) if I’m going to flash it right away anyway?
Thanks!
Yeah, you could do that. It's not the most cost-effective way to go, but it would be pretty foolproof. It would take a pretty catastrophic failure for Kawi headquarters to investigate any software changes to deny the claim. Most people with the ability to flash the firmware just set it back to factory settings when getting any work done and reflash it back to what they want afterwards. That way if they looked at the maps and settings and compared them to baseline, they would match.

It's still somewhat conjecture and theory about the firmware write counter and whether there is something on this bike. Most cars these day have an EEPROM counter that knows how many times the ECU software was written to it. If the numbers don't match the records stored with the dealer database and vehicle records, then the claim is denied. They've gotten smarter in the car-world and the bikes are probably not too far behind that, but I don't think they're there yet.

It's up to you what gives you piece-of-mind though. Keeping the current ECU the way it is will solve any issues related to that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this as well. I'm comparing part numbers and the ABS and non-ABS seem to be compatible. Now I need to find out if there's a different CA edition or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, you could do that. It's not the most cost-effective way to go, but it would be pretty foolproof. It would take a pretty catastrophic failure for Kawi headquarters to investigate any software changes to deny the claim. Most people with the ability to flash the firmware just set it back to factory settings when getting any work done and reflash it back to what they want afterwards. That way if they looked at the maps and settings and compared them to baseline, they would match.

It's still somewhat conjecture and theory about the firmware write counter and whether there is something on this bike. Most cars these day have an EEPROM counter that knows how many times the ECU software was written to it. If the numbers don't match the records stored with the dealer database and vehicle records, then the claim is denied. They've gotten smarter in the car-world and the bikes are probably not too far behind that, but I don't think they're there yet.

It's up to you what gives you piece-of-mind though. Keeping the current ECU the way it is will solve any issues related to that.
Thanks for the input. I might try to find a compatible unit from a part-out bike. I’m seeing a few on eBay for cheapish but if it comes to buying a new one it might still be worth it. If they can be flashed back to standard without many flags I might just decide against it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking of doing this as well. I'm comparing part numbers and the ABS and non-ABS seem to be compatible. Now I need to find out if there's a different CA edition or not.
Let me know if you find anything out about the part numbers. I don’t need any consideration for california stuff but I’d like the extra to run the abs.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,666 Posts
OK, there's no differences in the ECUs for the ABS/non-ABS models. The ABS module is separate from the ECU. Nor is there any difference in ECUs for the CA/lower 48 state models.
ECU: 21175-1128

The part number changes for the SE model with the electronic suspension and the RR model.
ECU: 21175-1271

If you don't have an SE or RR, then you can order the ECU part number for any of the normal ABS/non-ABS models from 2016 to now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, there's no differences in the ECUs for the ABS/non-ABS models. The ABS module is separate from the ECU. Nor is there any difference in ECUs for the CA/lower 48 state models.
ECU: 21175-1128

The part number changes for the SE model with the electronic suspension and the RR model.
ECU: 21175-1271

If you don't have an SE or RR, then you can order the ECU part number for any of the normal ABS/non-ABS models from 2016 to now.
Thank you SkyDork. I haven’t been here long but I’ve read a lot and I can see you’re an invaluable resource in this community.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,666 Posts
Thank you SkyDork. I haven’t been here long but I’ve read a lot and I can see you’re an invaluable resource in this community.
Nah, I'm just a dude with a keyboard who's been around here for awhile and like to help people out with things related to the bike. Thank you though! Hope I helped you with a few things related to this and good luck with the reflash when you get to it! You'll love it!

·
Registered
391 Posts
i found a 2nd ecu on ebay for my 2019 because it is also under warranty. i will eventually have it flashed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wouldn't the 19+ have a different ECU? I think there were a few engine tweaks including the valve rocker arms.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,666 Posts
Wouldn't the 19+ have a different ECU? I think there were a few engine tweaks including the valve rocker arms.
No. Mechanical engine differences don't change the electronics in the ECU. The part number applies to all the Gen 5s, even the newest version. The differences apply for the electronic suspension settings and communication with that on upgraded models, not the basic ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
No. Mechanical engine differences don't change the electronics in the ECU. The part number applies to all the Gen 5s, even the newest version. The differences apply for the electronic suspension settings and communication with that on upgraded models, not the basic ones.

I just cross referenced the part numbers and I think there is a difference.

16-18 zx10r part number:
21175-1128

19+ zx10r part number:
21175-1426

·
The Pace
6,947 Posts
omg, don't change anything. The key is the rider. Translation: a good rider on the moped will kick the crap out of a noob on a 10r, even on the track, given one of the fat mopeds. Don't change a thing and note go cocky in public trying to cover your ass the the warranty contract.

Stupid is as stupid does.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,666 Posts
I just cross referenced the part numbers and I think there is a difference.

16-18 zx10r part number:
21175-1128

19+ zx10r part number:
21175-1426
I just double-checked your double-check. You're right! There is a part number change for the '19 version. I stand corrected! Good catch on that! Oopsy!

I suspect the ECU is the same between all the years, but the part number change relates to the mapping used for the newer engine. I don't know that for a fact, but that would make sense in my head.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,666 Posts
omg, don't change anything. The key is the rider. Translation: a good rider on the moped will kick the crap out of a noob on a 10r, even on the track, given one of the fat mopeds. Don't change a thing and note go cocky in public trying to cover your ass the the warranty contract.

You don't know what you're missing out on by not changing anything and trying different things. That's how people educate themselves. My mama always said, 'life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you might get'.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Absolutely correct that skill is key. That will always be true.

Now, flashing the ECU has nothing to do with that. lol. Correcting the fuel mapping, enabling auto blip, disabling decel fuel cut and lowering the radiator fan temp will noticeably improve the bike.

·
Registered
467 Posts

There most def is an ecu change for 2019 and 2020 models that is different enough that it's a separate bin definition with woolich. Just fyi, and to the op, just use your original ECU, email kawi and request the exception like I did. They will give u a song and dance but will eventually agree to allow the ok to flash without voiding warranty as long as u promise not to mess with the timing. Plus u can just flash back to stock easy as hell if u r worried

·
Registered
607 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but I'm almost 99% positive I can see how many times I've flashed the ecu through woolich on my gen 4. Not sure if the gen 5 is any different but I'd guess the dealer would be able to see how many times it's been flashed or maybe the count in woolich is just how many times I've applied a flash and keeps track of that and not from the ecu??

·
Registered
64 Posts
There most def is an ecu change for 2019 and 2020 models that is different enough that it's a separate bin definition with woolich. Just fyi, and to the op, just use your original ECU, email kawi and request the exception like I did. They will give u a song and dance but will eventually agree to allow the ok to flash without voiding warranty as long as u promise not to mess with the timing. Plus u can just flash back to stock easy as hell if u r worried
Do you have a link or who you contacted?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts