Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put in a used 04 zx10 motor that had 9500 miles on it its all stock except for the muzzy turbo i put on it the bike started and idled rough for about 5 min i was tring to set the idle so i had to rev it a little to keep it running when i hear a little tapand the bike just stops when i tried to restart it wouldnt turnn over so i took the valve cover off and found the number 1 exhaust tappet had busted and stopped the lobe from turning does anyone know what might have caused this only thing i can come up with is someone put to many shims in it i have the head off my other motor which was kaw race cams and heavy duty springs i wish i would have changed them but was going to wait till winter when i do the pistons and rods the turbo is only putting out 5 lbs of boost so the stock head should have been fine

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
damn, sorry for your misfortune. hope you find a remedy to this sometime soon. i know first hand of the headaches a motor replacement in regards to a turbo upgrade can be!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, sorry for your misfortune. hope you find a remedy to this sometime soon. i know first hand of the headaches a motor replacement in regards to a turbo upgrade can be!
Had no problems until some b**ch ran me off the road and the scavenger pump that i bolted to the case put a hole in me case so i find a used motor and its been a headache i just miss my turbo i was running 5.50 in the 1/8 mile and still getting use to it

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dude... Punctuation? Carriage returns?

Break up that monstrous run-on and more people will be inclined to read the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
i just put in a used 04 zx10 motor that had 9500 miles on it its all stock except for the muzzy turbo i put on it the bike started and idled rough for about 5 min i was tring to set the idle so i had to rev it a little to keep it running when i hear a little tapand the bike just stops when i tried to restart it wouldnt turnn over so i took the valve cover off and found the number 1 exhaust tappet had busted and stopped the lobe from turning does anyone know what might have caused this only thing i can come up with is someone put to many shims in it i have the head off my other motor which was kaw race cams and heavy duty springs i wish i would have changed them but was going to wait till winter when i do the pistons and rods the turbo is only putting out 5 lbs of boost so the stock head should have been fine
If the lash was loose to start with it could have spit the shim and on the next revolution with the shim out of place broke the bucket. look at the bottom of the broken bucket to see if you see a round circle impression in it somwhere besides the middle. Bad valve float could also allow it to come out but if you were close to idle that shouldnt be the problem. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree.. but this is INTERNET, not an English CLASS.
True... the problem is, anyone old enough to be legally riding a ZX10 should already have gotten the requisite english classes. :idea:

Oh well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the lash was loose to start with it could have spit the shim and on the next revolution with the shim out of place broke the bucket. look at the bottom of the broken bucket to see if you see a round circle impression in it somwhere besides the middle. Bad valve float could also allow it to come out but if you were close to idle that shouldnt be the problem. :thumbsup:
It crushed the whole top so i can only see one small section.Thanks for your input i didnt think about the lash im going to remove it today and check the rest .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts